Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Cowboys’ Women’s Team and Academy launched

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
New elite outfit for North Queensland Toyota Gold Stars
Cowboys.com.au
Thu 30 Jan 2020, 12:33 PM

The North Queensland Toyota Gold Stars are the region’s first women’s team to enter the QRL’s new state competition and will embark on their inaugural season when it kicks off in March.

Their formation was announced late last year and their identity, found in the uniquely designed logo, tailored colours and proud partner emblems embedded in their uniform, was revealed today.

Facilitated by the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys, the Gold Stars is a united effort of the club’s feeder teams, the Northern Pride, Townsville Blackhawks and Mackay Cutters.

They have the backing of businesses who are excited to partner with the Gold Stars to nurture the talent birthed in the northern region.

Cowboys’ supporters will recognise the Toyota emblem on the jersey’s chest and back, a staple feature of the NRL squad’s uniform.

Other features of the jersey are the Cowboys Community Foundation on the sleeve, and three feeder club logos on the lower back.

The three regions are again united on the playing shorts, with Townsville, Cairns and Mackay Councils showing their support of women’s participation and regional representation.

Cowboys general manager commercial Ross Aldridge said that the formation of the region’s first women’s squad is a product of teamwork.

“Without our feeder clubs, partners and supporters this team wouldn’t be possible,” Mr Aldridge said.

It’s giving the talent in our region the opportunity to play at home, to represent the places they grew up, and to follow an elite pathway in rugby league.”

It levels the playing field for regional Queensland players, which is something our partners are well and truly behind.”

Toyota chief marketing officer Wayne Gabriel said their support of the Gold Stars was founded in a passion for regional Queensland.

“Toyota Australia and our North Queensland dealers are incredibly proud to begin this partnership with the Gold Stars,” Mr Gabriel said.

We’ve had a strong relationship with the North Queensland Cowboys for 17 years, and now look forward to supporting the Gold Stars as they forge a new path in the women’s rugby league.”

“Toyota have been a centre feature of the Cowboys since 2003, and without them this wouldn’t be possible,” Mr Aldridge said.

Cowboys Community Foundation director Fiona Pelling spoke of the charity’s position on the jersey sleeve.

“Given our purpose to support young Queenslanders, the Gold Stars is a perfect fit for us and we’re delighted to be part of the North Queensland Gold Stars’ inaugural year,” Ms Pelling said.

Behind the logo

Fans and members now have another North Queensland team to support, recognisable in the name and the symmetry of the uniform.

The Gold Stars have their own colour palette, a proud echo of the Cowboys’ yellow, blue and grey.

The logo is modern and dynamic, a strong and bold banner emulating the squad that will form behind it.

Three stars sit at the centre of a larger star, representing the three feeder clubs that will produce talent for the QRLW squad.

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2020/01/30/new-elite-outfit-for-north-queensland-toyota-gold-stars/

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
They had to be the Cowgirls.
They still might be if they get in the NRLW, this is just a QRL level team created by the feeder clubs.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Townsville junior Shaniah Power to take centre stage for All Stars
NICK WRIGHT, Townsville Bulletin
January 30, 2020 12:00am

SHE has already lined up alongside greats of the game, and now Shaniah Power is set to become one of them.

As a 17-year-old playing for the Northern Marlins, the backrower stood with a contingent full of high calibre talent.

Renae Kunst, Karyn Murphy, Tash Baggow — these athletes have achieved so much and Power was ecstatic to be on the same field.

Now, following her selection in the Indigenous All Stars side, she has the platform to emulate the respected trio.

“I definitely felt like crying,” Power said of her recent selection.

“It was excitement and a bit of relief making the side, just for the opportunity to play with some incredibly talented girls and be able to share my culture.

“I haven’t had a lot to do with my culture so I think it’s going to be an experience for me to learn more about myself.”

Power was briefly enticed to rugby union a few years ago, but the allure of the Townsville women’s competition drew her back and she turned out for the Western Lions in 2019.

She was brought into the Cowboys Women’s Academy when it launched late last year and has felt her game go to a new level in a short space of time.

With the All Stars match and inaugural North Queensland Gold Stars trials on the horizon a wealth of doors have been opened for the talented forward.

“Even just the last year I’ve learned more about football than I have the whole time I’ve been playing,” Power said.

“I know I have so much more to learn, so I’m keen to build my skills and I think with Cowboys academy and Gold Stars gives me the chance to do that.

“It’s awesome, the pathways that are available that weren’t available for us girls up norths is a bit overwhelming.”

Power will be joined in the All Stars squad by four Cowboys Academy teammates including innaugural feamle Dally M winner Jenni-Sue Hoepper, Steph Mooka and Layla Fauid.

The quartet cover a range of positions in the forwards and backs, highlighting the diversity of talent the academy program has developed.

“It’s really diverse the range, knowledge and the talent,” All Stars and Cowboys elite pathways coach Ben Jeffries said.

“(The academy) is about developing their minds and skillsets and getting them to understand how to go through certain stages to the elite level.

“It’s all about playing consistent football and persevering. Most of all you have to enjoy it, if you’re enjoying your football you do better … and the rewards will come.”

It is not just in the playing group Jeffries has noted a rising presence.

In any team he coaches, the man who will take the reins as coaching director of the North Queensland Toyota Gold Stars said he sought a woman to join the ranks.

For Jeffries every good coaching system needed balance, and the collaboration of ideas often led to better results.

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/cowboys/townsville-junior-shaniah-power-to-take-centre-stage-for-all-stars/news-story/dda274899aaa50ab1ccb327069f468d6

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
QRL Women's Premiership 2020 Draw Announced

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2020/01/31/qrl-womens-premiership-2020-draw-released/?nrlreferral=true

Brothers Ipswich will host new entity the North Queensland Gold Stars to kick off the inaugural QRL Women’s Premiership next month.
The QRL has today released the 2020 QRL Women’s Premiership draw, with the historic clash in Ipswich on Saturday, March 14 to launch the new statewide competition.

It is one of four matches to be played across that weekend which will also mark the start of the Intrust Super Cup, Hastings Deering Colts and Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup competitions.

The eight teams contesting for the title were announced by the QRL last month, with the grand final set down for Sunday, May 17.

The Gold Stars are also set to host last year’s SEQ Women’s Division 1 premiers West Brisbane Panthers in Round 6 at the new North Queensland Stadium, where the teams will play on the same night as the Cowboys and Melbourne Storm.

QRL statewide competitions manager Dave Maiden said he was looking forward to seeing high-quality football on display throughout the new competition.

“The QRLW has been in the pipeline for a number of years and we are very excited to now be able to deliver on the promise of providing an opportunity for every female in the state regardless of postcode,” Maiden said.

“Our female game has grown from strength-to-strength via some outstanding work by our local leagues and the increase in depth has now allowed us to expand the format statewide.

“This is something we are extremely proud of and we look forward to watching our female participants perform on a stage equitable with our men.”
QRL Women’s Premiership games will be played in 30-minute halves with 10 interchanges, with a view to reducing to eight over time.

The finals format involves four teams and will be played under a 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 knockout system, with the grand final to be held at Langlands Park.
All of the finals matches (qualifying finals and grand final) will also be broadcast live, with more details to be provided on QRL.com.au closer to the date.

The new competition is one of a number of initiatives being undertaken by the QRL to help provide opportunities and strengthen pathways for female players; with several regional camps for Under 18 girls and for the Female Performance Program squad having already taken place during the pre-season.

ROUND 1 - SATURDAY 14TH MARCH 3:00pm
Stars at Ipswich Brother (Sisters?)
Blue Ribbon Motors Field, Ipswich

ROUND 2 - SATURDAY 21ST MARCH 2:30pm
Stars at Burleigh Bears
Pizzey Park, Gold Coast

ROUND 3 - SATURDAY 28TH MARCH 2:30pm
Stars at Tweed Seagulls
Piggabeen Sports Complex, Tweed Heads

ROUND 4 - SATURDAY 4TH APRIL 3:30pm
Easts Tigers at Stars
Barlow Park, Cairns

ROUND 5 - BYE

ROUND 6 - THURSDAY 16TH APRIL 12:00am (WTF????)
West Brisbane Panthers at Stars
Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville

ROUND 7 - SATURDAY 25TH APRIL 4:00pm
Central Queensland Capras at Stars
BB Print Stadium, Mackay

ROUND 8 - SUNDAY 3RD MAY 11:30am
Stars at Souths Logan Magpies
Davies Park, Brisbane

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
* 3 home games, 4 away games
* home games in Cairns, Townsville and Mackay
* perfectly placed bye :)
* Semi-Finals to be played at top 2 team's grounds
* Grand Final to be played in Brisbane

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
According to Leagueunlimited that Wests game is at 5:20pm.