Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Cowboys’ Women’s Team and Academy launched

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I wonder if the name is to distance it from the Cowboys a bit, because it looks like the feeder teams might be driving it and its a QRL level comp.

Gold Stars is pretty weak though.
I reckon this is the reasoning. Also leaves room for the NRLW team to be named the Cowgirls.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if the name is to distance it from the Cowboys a bit, because it looks like the feeder teams might be driving it and its a QRL level comp.

Gold Stars is pretty weak though.
I thought so at first also, but as a public relations exercise between the feeder clubs and the Cowboys I think it is very appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
When one of the players score a try, will they run to the sideline and get a “Gold Star” from the coach :joyful: lol

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Cowboys proud to partner with feeder clubs in Gold Stars bid for QRLW supremacy
MATTHEW ELKERTON, Townsville Bulletin
December 17, 2019 2:39pm

NORTH Queensland has taken a major step towards a dream NRLW start with the announcement of the North Queensland Gold Stars in the inaugural QRL women’s competition.

A team of homegrown talent, the Gold Stars were among eight sides named for the inaugural QRLW competition in 2020 along with fellow regional outfit CQ Capras.

The competition will also include six sides that contested last season’s strong South-East Queensland Division 1 competition including premiers West Brisbane Panthers.

The Cowboys played a major role in launching the North Queensland outfit, partnering with their three Queensland Cup feeder clubs Townsville Blackhawks, Mackay Cutters and Northern Pride in the bid.

Cowboys’ chief operating officer Michael Luck said it was a major step in the Cowboys quest to lodge a homegrown side in the NRLW.

“Our club is proud to give women the opportunity to represent their home region on a state wide scale in a sport they are passionate about and love playing,” Luck said.

“We feel that right now it aligns with our strategy of building from the bottom up. A few years ago when the NRLW was brought in, we didn’t think we had the steps in place to enter a team that would be successful or sustainable. This carries on with our strategies of doing that.

“(Having local players) is the aim of the whole thing. Going back to when we had the chance to enter an NRLW side a few years ago, we did our homework and there was only four or five women in our footprint that had played at that level or were capable of playing at that level.

“We’re really proud of the work we have done in association with the feeder clubs and the (three regional associations), that we are confident we are going to show in 2020 that the talent has progressed and the standard of competition has gotten better.”

While initially set to be named the Cowboys, the Gold Stars moniker has been adopted as a nod to the emblem of the NRL club. The side will also don a jersey that will be synonymous in colour and branding with the NRL club as well as honour the three QRL organisations.

Cowboys football programs manager Glenn Hall will oversee the operation of the Gold Stars while Cowboys elite pathways coach Ben Jeffries will oversee the coaching of the side.

The Gold Stars will be split into three satellite squads of up to 15 players aged over 17 selected from the Cowboys Women’s Academy. The satellite squads will be trained in their regional centre before players meet for a Captain’s Run training session before game day.

“It is a massive challenge (because) North Queensland is quite vast,” Jeffries said.

“We have some satellite coaches and satellite squads being assembled as we speak. The platform has been laid. When we are delivering all of our sessions they will run in parallel with each other and the same content.

“That is what we are trying to map out as we speak. We are well and truly on that track. The squads will be assembled and the females will be notified very soon.”

While the squads are yet to be finalised, Jeffries expected Queensland Origin stars Jenni-Sue Hoepper and Cairns’ Steph Mooka would play an integral part in the make-up of the Gold Stars squad.

While the players are from different regions across North Queensland, many have played together at representative level in the Country Championships with an on-field chemistry already in place.

“There is the talent here, we just have to get them on the same park and the same page and let the girls do the talking,” Jeffries said.

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/cowboys/cowboys-proud-to-partner-with-feeder-clubs-in-gold-stars-bid-for-qrlw-supremacy/news-story/6f261412d0b7219c46ddd812b80daa4a

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
While initially set to be named the Cowboys, the Gold Stars moniker has been adopted as a nod to the emblem of the NRL club. The side will also don a jersey that will be synonymous in colour and branding with the NRL club as well as honour the three QRL organisations.

They were going to call them the Cowboys? I bet the big fat elephant in the room was calling them the Cowgirls but no one wanted to say it out loud.

Revivous

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
The Gold Stars are North Queensland’s new QRLW team

An elite rugby league women’s team called the North Queensland Gold Stars will take the stage in 2020 as part of the recently announced inaugural QRLW statewide competition.

Facilitated by the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys, the Gold Stars is a collaborative effort between the club’s feeder teams, the Northern Pride, Townsville Blackhawks and Mackay Cutters.

For the first time, female talent from across North Queensland will train in Cairns, Townsville and Mackay, before selected players compete in seven QRLW rounds.

Cowboys chief operating officer Micheal Luck said, “the North Queensland Gold Stars is a wonderful next step in order for our club to become a truly diverse sporting club that provides the opportunity for all players to represent their region at an elite level.”

“This new team, in conjunction with our feeder clubs, gives elite female talent within North Queensland the opportunity to train together and then wear the same jersey and play against other teams across the state.”

“Our new team’s name symbolically aligns it with the Cowboys brand, while also referencing its inherent formation as a collective of North Queensland talent.”

The announcement of the Gold Stars comes just four months after the Cowboys launched their Women’s Academy to provide elite development and coaching to players in Cairns, Townsville and Mackay.

Each region will now have a satellite squad with up to 15 players aged over 17 selected from the Women’s Academy for their chance to be play in the QRLW competition.

Cowboys elite pathways coach Ben Jeffries will take on the role of Gold Stars coaching director, working with coaching staff within the Cowboys and three feeder teams.

“I’m excited for North Queensland and for the women’s game as a whole,” Jeffries said.

“It’s great to see young women that have come through the North Queensland junior systems and into our newly formed pathways, now with the opportunity of playing for the Gold Stars.”

“This team is a true team effort and opens up a lot of opportunities, with pathways for players and roles for coaches, managers and sports trainers within our regions.”

Players within the QRLW competition will have the opportunity to compete for a Maroons jersey and other representative opportunities.

The Gold Stars also sets the club on a path to NRLW success, providing an important building block to entering a team in the franchise that will truly reflects the region’s talent.

It also impacts rugby league at the grassroots level.

“Girls in our region will now have the chance to pick rugby league as a sport when they’re young and follow it through to the big stage in the NRLW,” Luck said.

Training will start in early January 2020, with players within the satellite squads named later in the month and the Gold Stars look revealed.

The club now has eight men’s and women’s academies across Queensland, delivering 15 training sessions to players from February to May.

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2019/12/17/the-gold-stars-are-north-queenslands-new-qrlw-team/

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Because it's the name of the cheerleaders :(

I guess that could also be a good point. I also would rather my mental image of a Cowgirl to not be ruined if we are indeed trying to sign Hannah Mouncey for our inaugural season.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
The side will also don a jersey that will be synonymous in colour and branding with the NRL club as well as honour the three QRL organisations.
Blue, grey, yellow, white, teal, orange, black, green and maroon. Should be a cracker.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Just give them a white jersey with black spots and name them the North Queensland Cows, that will make everyone happy, right?

Right?
What & then get accused of 'milking' the cowboys, that's udderly creamy

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Mooka eyes Gold Stars as path to Origin, NRLW
Rowan Sparkes, The Cairns Post
December 29, 2019 6:01pm

Queensland State of Origin star Steph Mooka hopes to use the new statewide women’s rugby league competition as a stepping stone towards securing another NRLW contract in 2020.

The 28-year-old Mabuiag Island product, who lives and works in Cairns, enjoyed a breakout year in 2019, going from being a largely unknown name in the women’s game to earning a State of Origin debut, a spot in the Jillaroos Merit Team and an NRLW contract with the St George Illawarra Dragons.

But, despite getting the nod to start on the wing in the Dragon’s season opener against the Broncos in September, Mooka saw limited game time during her debut season.

However, she made the most of her time off the field.

“There was a lot of experienced girls in the team so I only got to play the first half of the first game,” Mooka said.

“But it was a very good opportunity for me to go and learn. It was good to learn about the gym, especially at that level, and seeing and learning off all the other girls.

“I had never done gym before so I did the gym program and for the first couple of weeks I was having back problems and my muscles were getting really tight because I wasn’t used to the training load.

“But it gave me a fair idea of what I need to do to take my game to another level, in terms of fitness and strength.”

Mooka has her sights set on another NRLW contract in 2020, but will have to take a different trail to the one she blazed this year.

“Because I made Queensland and got an NRLW contract this year, I won’t be able to play in the Women’s National Championships (next year),” she said.

“The Nationals are a good platform to make Queensland and hopefully get an NRLW contract.”

With that in mind, Mooka will be hoping to lock down a spot in the new North Queensland Gold Stars side, that will compete in the QRLW’s inaugural season in 2020.

“That’s definitely on the cards,” she said.

“The QRLW comp’s going to be massive opportunity for us girls, especially us girls up north, because we’ve never had opportunities like this before. It’s a really good pathway for the girls coming through.”

The versatile winger, centre or second-rower said she was slowly getting back into her fitness regime after “making the most of the off-season”.

“I’m focused on getting back to my best now,” she said.

“There’s a lot of people up here willing to help me, which I’m very grateful for.”

Earlier this month, Mooka attended a special camp for senior elite-level players as part of the Queensland Female Performance Program.

In November, she was named among 36 of the nation’s leading Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander female rugby league players for an Indigenous Women’s All Stars development and selection camp.

An Indigenous Women’s All Stars side will play on the Gold Coast in February 2020.

“I’ll be using those camps and games to get another crack next year as well,” Mooka said.

“There’s an opportunity for me to get another contract if I work hard, especially on my strength and my fitness.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/mooka-eyes-gold-stars-as-path-to-origin-nrlw/news-story/acab797ab8d7bb7fd1728490d130dae8

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Four from Women's Academy named for All Stars
Cowboys.com.au
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 05:45 PM

Four Cowboys Women's Academy members have been named in the Indigenous All Stars squad for next month's All Stars game on the Gold Coast.

Steph Mooka, Jenni-Sue Hoepper, Layla Fauid and Shaniah Power have been selected in the 18-woman squad that will battle the Maori All Stars at Cbus Super Stadium on February 22.

The match will serve as the first leg of the All Stars double-header, which Cowboys centre Esan Marsters named for the Maori side earlier today.

Indigenous Women's All Stars: Jasmine Allende, Shaylee Bent, Nakia Davis-Welsh, Quincy Dodd, Layla Fauid, Tallisha Harden, Jenni-Sue Hoepper, Caitlan Johnston, Bobbi Law, Tanika Marshall, Steph Mooka, Kelsey Parkin, Kaitlyn Phillips, Shaniah Power, Rhiannon Revell-Blair, Simone Smith, Shakiah Tungai, Rebecca Young.

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2020/01/28/four-cowboys-womens-academy-members-named-for-all-stars-game/