Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

COVID-19 / Coronavirus

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
You need to do a bit more study.

Some monopolies benefit society. I am thankful for monopolies like facebook and google. Facebook is free to use. I have been using Google and all their free stuff for over two decades. The only money I have paid google is $4.99 to watch a movie on youtube a few years ago. Queensland had cheap electricity before they introduced competition to a natural monopoly electricity supplier. Natural monopoly vs other monopoly.

Cartels. Some cartels benefit society. The OECD recognises this (see link below). Example: A small town has three doctors (G.P.s). They work together to make sure one of them is open on Sunday. On a roster system. Hard core cartels vs cartels that benefit society.

Cartels are not great at all. Competition is better for the consumer as it breeds innovation and better prices. Cartels are very anti competition, but in on order to maintain the status quo of their dominance, they both legally and illegally remove competition (basically whatever it takes to win). They will bribe politicians, if not put their own in power. They will bribe the media, if not own the media.

One of the worst cartels I can think of is OPEC where the Saudi Arabians can enslave the world to much of its will beyond just profit from their oil. The smaller OPEC nations have little power in increasing or decreasing the price of oil as the Saudi's only put their own interest first. Then there have been wars that seem more than mysteriously connected to those within OPEC who do not follow the party line.

The Russian oligarchy is one of the worst when it comes to cartels/ monopolies. It is very reminiscent of what was happening with the USA a century ago with the likes of the Rockerfellers, JP Morgan and a handful of others. In America today, Bill Gates seems to be the modern day kind who legally and illegally dominated the computer industry at all cost, and then desired to have the same power over the health industry.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
You are generalising.

You don't distinguish between harmful and beneficial monopolies and cartels.
You think anti competition is good for consumers?

So you spoke of the benefits of facebook above right? Well let's compare it to mobile phones where we are gifted for choice between the different networks all competing to give customers the best deal. Where we as consumers get real pros and cons like vodafone being cheaper than alternatives, but terribly unreliable in remote locations. Hence, we make the best allround decision for ourselves if we want to spend less, or get a more reliable service.

With the likes of facebook (and google) having the monopoly, we have to accept facebooks terms and conditions (we know Mark Zuckerberg is anti freedom of speech if posts do not align with many of his liberal views). We have to accept a lot of the advertising thrown in our face. And when facebook remodels itself to something that we do not like, or is not very user friendly initially, we have to accept it because where else do we go?

I very much stress the part about the liberal views we have to accept on facebook and google. Community standards basically means cultural marxism, and you will be punished for not complying with the Zuckerberg world order. He said he created Facebook to give ordinary folks an opinion, and connect us all, but now we can see that Facebook shapes and controls opinion to connect us to Mark Zuckerberg's world order.

Last edited:

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really like the bringing back of the crowds. Feels like COVID-19 is just bubbling below the surface, waiting for activities like these to occur. Beijing is having partial lockdowns as it is starting to ramp up again there. Different population I know but you can easily forget how contagious this thing is.

One season as a TV only sport won't kill anyone, on the other hand....

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see society start to normalise a bit soon, but I don't think people should be rushing to nightclubs etc.

Spacey

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Well it's happenin

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Jacinda Ardern has allowed crowds back at sport.

I thought covid compliance/care factor ended when they allowed the people to protest.

Last edited:

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Jacinda Ardern has allowed crowds back at sport.

I thought covid compliance/care factor ended when they allowed the people to protest.
NZ have no active cases. We do, so not really comparable.

I get we are going to open up. But I just want them to get it right. I don't want to return to lockdown. As I am sure no one else does.

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Covid-19 spectre coming back in Melbourne. AFL game suspended. Premier holding back on lifting restrictions. Queensland has marked Melbourne as a hotspot. People coming from Melbourne have to self-isolate for 2 weeks.

Wonder whether this will affect the Melbourne Storm.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
How did Luke Thompson (Bulldogs UK signing) get in the country? Not a permanent Resident and not a citizen - yet is in quarantine in Melbourne before linking with the Bulldogs.

Lots of visa holders are stuck outside the country yet because you have signed with an NRL club you are allowed to come in?

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
How did Luke Thompson (Bulldogs UK signing) get in the country? Not a permanent Resident and not a citizen - yet is in quarantine in Melbourne before linking with the Bulldogs.

Lots of visa holders are stuck outside the country yet because you have signed with an NRL club you are allowed to come in?
You know that old story of the jewellery store that didn't have the prices displayed? Well I'm guessing its the same principle here

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BDR

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Covid-19 spectre coming back in Melbourne. AFL game suspended. Premier holding back on lifting restrictions. Queensland has marked Melbourne as a hotspot. People coming from Melbourne have to self-isolate for 2 weeks.

Wonder whether this will affect the Melbourne Storm.
This has gone all pear shaped for the AFL now. The clubs can't train in groups of larger than 9 at a time, one Essendon game has been "suspended indefinitely" and this weekend's game is also in doubt. It's going to be very messy trying to restore order in the competition after this.

NRL has gotten very lucky that nobody has tested positive in or around the teams.

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
The Vics will have to set up hubs in SA, Qld and WA but they won't stubborn pricks in the VFL i mean AFL lol, Storm will have to play games away maybe they can set up in Adelaide, we can get 10k at Adelaide oval would be nice
Storm moving their home game to Sydney this weekend.