Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

COVID-19 / Coronavirus

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
my understanding is there is the original virus has morphed once or twice already. What i reckon the medicos are worried about is it morphing again into something that effects all of us severely not just the frail and elderly. But I don’t think they want to come out and say that so as to avoid mass panic.

But I agree that you can’t completely trash the Oz and world economy forever over this.
I'm not sure that's right, Beavs. This article is the third I have seen stating its mutating slowly. They may be different to what you are saying though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/the-coronavirus-isnt-mutating-quickly-suggesting-a-vaccine-would-offer-lasting-protection/2020/03/24/406522d6-6dfd-11ea-b148-e4ce3fbd85b5_story.html

LoloMolo

L
2 weeks is insanity, you know it, and I know it.
You’re too focused on the specifics rather then the actual sentiment.

It might not be 2 weeks, but he wants Americans to start preparing to return to their daily lives. The uncertainty of it all is what’s caused the biggest panic which has resulted in anti social behaviour as people adopt an “Everyman for themselves” approach.

I think they’re f****d either way given the state of their healthcare, but am interested to see how this approach unfolds.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
At what stage does people killing themselves over a financial collapse become as great an issue as the virus?

It’s a difficult situation for our leaders and there’s a lot of people throwing their unhelpful opinions from the peanut gallery at present.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
The climate change emergency is going to destroy the world. Iran and the USA are going to go to war. The USA and China are going to destroy each other's economies, and that of the world. The coronavirus pandemic is going to destroy the world. Get ready for a recession and a great depression.

It's only early in 2020, but what will the media tell us next...?

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
You’re too focused on the specifics rather then the actual sentiment.

It might not be 2 weeks, but he wants Americans to start preparing to return to their daily lives. The uncertainty of it all is what’s caused the biggest panic which has resulted in anti social behaviour as people adopt an “Everyman for themselves” approach.

I think they’re f****d either way given the state of their healthcare, but am interested to see how this approach unfolds.
Trump has ordered that all military hospital equipment, ventilators etc. Be sent to normal hospitals.
US doesn't turn anyone away. They can deal with this better than most countries will, even with large size.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
At what stage does people killing themselves over a financial collapse become as great an issue as the virus?

It’s a difficult situation for our leaders and there’s a lot of people throwing their unhelpful opinions from the peanut gallery at present.
Opinions on a forum.

Maybe the internet isn't for you.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I think your complete faith in Trump is highly entertaining, and bordering on cultish.

I'm bookmarking this for Easter Sunday. See you then.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

On the contrary, this is the time when world leaders need to be held accountable for their actions more than ever. If we don't do it history sure will.

This thinking that we can sacrifice 2 % or more of the population in the interests of capital is extremely disturbing and should not go unchecked.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
On the contrary, this is the time when world leaders need to be held accountable for their actions more than ever. If we don't do it history sure will.

This thinking that we can sacrifice 2 % or more of the population in the interests of capital is extremely disturbing and should not go unchecked.
My point is that people will start killing themselves due to economic hardship if this goes on too long. So is that all worth it to save mostly old people from dying?

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Planned parenthood does exactly the same thing, if not more. There is zero outcry about that, excluding a minority of religious folk on the conservative side of politics.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'm not sure that's right, Beavs. This article is the third I have seen stating its mutating slowly. They may be different to what you are saying though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/the-coronavirus-isnt-mutating-quickly-suggesting-a-vaccine-would-offer-lasting-protection/2020/03/24/406522d6-6dfd-11ea-b148-e4ce3fbd85b5_story.html
There’s an S and an L version of the virus (some people are saying they’re similar enough not call them a different ‘strain’ as such). Again, i’m no medical expert but a few videos I’ve seen are about the concerns are based around how contagious the covid-19 virus is, and that when the virus jumps from new host to new host and multiplys within the new host, this is when the virus has the chance to morph or change.

I guess if it wasn’t as contagious as what we seem to think it is, the concern might not be there? Also, and I’m not a tin foil hat wearer by any means, but I wonder if the public are kept fully in the loop with the prospect of what can happen with this thing if it does start hitting the younger harder?

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
There’s an S and an L version of the virus (some people are saying they’re similar enough not call them a different ‘strain’ as such). Again, i’m no medical expert but a few videos I’ve seen are about the concerns are based around how contagious the covid-19 virus is, and that when the virus jumps from new host to new host and multiplys within the new host, this is when the virus has the chance to morph or change.

I guess if it wasn’t as contagious as what we seem to think it is, the concern might not be there? Also, and I’m not a tin foil hat wearer by any means, but I wonder if the public are kept fully in the loop with the prospect of what can happen with this thing?
From what I've heard from health workers, they're much more concerned than leaders are letting on.

@butchmcrichard is one of them. I don't think he's been back on here for a while and he's probably extremely busy at the moment. Hope you're doing OK mate if you read this.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I chuckled at the trump hater calling anybody who sees the logic of how he wants to tackle these two crisis as “cult like”. That is exactly what those who oppose him are - a cult.
Many people have not figured out the Trump brand of politics. His chauvinism style of politics makes him look like a radical neo-con, populist even. A deeper dig into his policies shows that he is more measured and calculated than the crap he writes on twitter or says in rallies. Trump has a lot of African American and Latino supporters who can separate his mouth from his actions.

He likes to also come across as very hawkish and willing to fight anybody in the world militarily. Yet actually, he and his core supporters are sick of the money the US has wasted fighting wars in the middle east, and would rather not invade anybody else. They dislike the damage past Republican presidents have done to the image of the American conservative.

LoloMolo

L

I guess if it wasn’t as contagious as what we seem to think it is, the concern might not be there? Also, and I’m not a tin foil hat wearer by any means, but I wonder if the public are kept fully in the loop with the prospect of what can happen with this thing if it does start hitting the younger harder?
The virus itself isn’t what’s made this so contagious. It is the way we now live our lives. We’ve never utilised air travel more in the history of mankind. I could be in London within 14 hours if I really wanted to. That’s why it’s so contagious.

The major concern is that this virus originated from an animal, and as such the human body has no form of immunity to it. That’s why there’s so much concern for the elderly and those that are immunity compromised. They’re on a hiding to nothing and as a result we have to protect them.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
My point is that people will start killing themselves due to economic hardship if this goes on too long. So is that all worth it to save mostly old people from dying?
This is fascist thinking. Who are you to say x old person deserves to die to save y hypothetical suicide? Plus opening up the lockdown conditions will cause a huge spike in infections, even people advocating for this don't dispute that.

I'm no expert but experts are saying there are huge and messy side effects of letting an infectious disease fester in the population, including possible mutations and further preventable deaths due to strain on the health system.

I reject the premise that it is necessary for people to suffer to the point of considering suicide even in a badly damaged economy.

Social safety nets and a humanitarian approach will get us through this. Our government has reacted fairly well in this regard, Centrelink access issues aside.