Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

COVID-19 / Coronavirus

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
From the optimistic PoV I think there is a good captain at the helm of Rugby League in Peter Vlandys. He is a canny guy and steered Racing NSW through the Equine influenza outbreak. I have also appreciated his honestly through the crisis - he is not sugar coating the situation.

Obviously the economic situation is significantly worse right now and the NRL is one of many corporations in dire straits but I do feel we are in good hands and there will be an NRL on the other side of this. What that looks like is up for debate though.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
My lord, apologies for being negative, watching one of Trumps latest press conferences... body language is bad, poor bastard could hardly speak in a confident tone regarding shut down and return to work for the country.

fanfromsingapore

Junior
Reaction score
My lord, apologies for being negative, watching one of Trumps latest press conferences... body language is bad, poor bastard could hardly speak in a confident tone regarding shut down and return to work for the country.
I haven't seen the press conference.

But 73 is not a young man. I think the virus issue would place a tremendous strain on someone that age. Particularly if you have to keep on putting on a brace face to the media.

EDIT: I would like to see the interview. I saw one that was streamed about 11 hours ago. I didn't notice the issues you mentioned, but perhaps I looked at the wrong press conference.

Last edited:

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Link-makes a few speeches every day

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
What do the resident Trump sycophants think about "well be back to normal in 2 weeks" bluster?

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Public confidence perhaps? Alleviate some panic, anxiety.

Like I know when Scomo details 6 months or longer, I feel like giving up, don't want to go to work.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Trump’s general point is persuasive enough. The measures put in place to deal with this can’t be worse than the actual issue that we face.

For example, if locking down and destroying the economy results in thousands of people killing themselves because of financial hardship, is it really worth saving people from this virus.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I don't know what Jax saw, but I just saw Trump saying "I'd love for us to be going again by Easter"

Did he even say what Jax wrote?

Edit: Jax hasn't responded-we can assume Jax was dishonest in spinning Trumps words.

Last edited:

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
For example, if locking down and destroying the economy results in thousands of people killing themselves because of financial hardship, is it really worth saving people from this virus.
Don't worry... the US can suddenly just invade another country who allegedly has bio or chemical or nuclear weapons etc.... :)

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
He may not necessarily look like a fool. You are pre-empting a negative result before we have any evidence.

LoloMolo

L
This is a virus pandemic and an economic crisis. Leaders are doing their best to juggle both. Arm chair experts like Jax don’t help the situation. Plenty of them on platforms like twitter that only just add to the hysteria of an already crazy time in history.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
What do the resident Trump sycophants think about "well be back to normal in 2 weeks" bluster?

I can see his point of view about not letting the cure become worse than the problem itself. This is just an unprecedented situation. Imagine working years to establish your business for it to be completed destroyed by this. People are losing everything. Many lives will be lost by people who don't even test positive to this f***ing virus.

Maybe we should be isolating the weak and old and everyone else be in less of a lockdown situation given the small percentage of people that actually die from this. There has to be another way than just dragging this out for what now feels like it could be a year or more. Are we going to have a knee jerk reaction and shut everything down every time a new virus magically materialises in China?

No-one will even want to run a business in future. What's the point? There's too much risk now. This is absolutely going to obliterate our economy and life as we know it. I'll be watching with interest what happens in the US if they relax their measures. If it's a mistake they're making then at least it wont be us making it.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
This is a virus pandemic and an economic crisis. Leaders are doing their best to juggle both. Arm chair experts like Jax don’t help the situation. Plenty of them on platforms like twitter that only just add to the hysteria of an already crazy time in history.
So you think giving false hope in the face of data, is OK?

PS Your tears are soothing

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
my understanding is there is the original virus has morphed once or twice already. What i reckon the medicos are worried about is it morphing again into something that effects all of us severely not just the frail and elderly. But I don’t think they want to come out and say that so as to avoid mass panic.

But I agree that you can’t completely trash the Oz and world economy forever over this.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
my understanding is there is the original virus has morphed once or twice already. What i reckon the medicos are worried about is it morphing again into something that effects all of us severely not just the frail and elderly. But I don’t think they want to come out and say that so as to avoid mass panic.

But I agree that you can’t completely trash the Oz and world economy forever over this.
I think we all agree that, but saying 2 weeks is crazy town.

Give it a month or more surely?

LoloMolo

L
So you think giving false hope in the face of data, is OK?

PS Your tears are soothing
You’re the only person crying here about a man that clearly triggers you.

There is no cookie cutter approach to solving both these crisis. Protect the vulnerable and send those fit and young out to keep the economy stable seems a rationale approach. If Obama came up with it you’d probably be demanding it be enforced.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
You’re the only person crying here about a man that clearly triggers you.

There is no cookie cutter approach to solving both these crisis. Protect the vulnerable and send those fit and young out to keep the economy stable seems a rationale approach. If Obama came up with it you’d probably be demanding it be enforced.
2 weeks is insanity, you know it, and I know it.