Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

CBD stadium

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The tides are close to king tides atm.
Drains may have been clogged when rain came-why it went up in some places

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Your first few words are correct. It’s not under water.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Flooding effect (for those English language admirers playing at home).

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Are u taking a swipe at Jenny Hill?
She's a good Mayor, doing her best.
Surely you Townsvillians will happily vote in Cairns born "Dishhead" Dowling as their next Mayor......

Reactions: CC

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Poor Mayor Hill was in a car crash today-person her car hit died.
She was not at fault I've read.

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I am just curious as to what the plans are for the Willows Stadium?

I noticed they are still training there, and all signage has now been removed. Is there any plan for the infrastructure such as seats and stands can be utilised at another location, perhaps sold off?

Is the facility going to be returned to the community in some fashion or will another sporting body take over?

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I am just curious as to what the plans are for the Willows Stadium?

I noticed they are still training there, and all signage has now been removed. Is there any plan for the infrastructure such as seats and stands can be utilised at another location, perhaps sold off?

Is the facility going to be returned to the community in some fashion or will another sporting body take over?
I’m hearing there’s going to be a mega mosque on the site.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
From 2018:

School and leagues club have plans for Willows stadium site
TONY RAGGATT, Townsville Bulletin
January 6, 2018

A NEW school, an expansion of Brothers Leagues Club and redevelopment for housing could all be part of the future use of 1300SMILES Stadium and its surrounding land.

The Bulletin asked major stakeholders, including owner Stadiums Queensland, what was to become of the 16.8ha site when the last NRL game was played in September next year. Stadiums Queensland, a government entity, said it was working with state agencies to consider future uses and would likely dispose of the site.

“With the completion of the North Queensland Stadium ahead of the 2020 NRL season, the 1300SMILES Stadium site will no longer be required to hold major events,” a Stadium Queensland spokesman said.

“Once the new stadium is operational, the existing stadium site can begin to be decommissioned and transitioned into other uses. It is anticipated this process could take several years.”

The spokesman said the site’s future use would depend partly on whether the North Queensland Cowboys required it for a training and administration facility.

A Cowboys spokesman could not be contacted for comment but football boss Peter Parr last month indicated their vision was for a high- performance training centre and club headquarters at the new CBD stadium where the first NRL game is to be played in 2020.

“Stadiums Queensland is working with Queensland Government agencies to consider future uses for the site and will continue to engage locally with parties including Brothers, the North Queensland Cowboys and Ryan Catholic College,” the Stadiums Queensland spokesman said.

“No final decisions have been made on its future use at this time.”

Brothers Leagues Club CEO Justin Wilkins said depending on the Cowboys’ plans, they were interested in securing a “fair portion” of the stadium site.

Mr Wilkins said it was too early to release details of their plans.

“We are looking at how to make the best use of that land to fit in with the residents of the area,” Mr Wilkins said.

Ross Horner, Townsville Catholic Education Office director, leadership and school development, said they were looking at buying the facility’s northern carpark land for Ryan Catholic College parking and possible school development.

Currently, they lease part of the carpark.

“Our number one issue is we need to retain some of that space as a long-term carpark,” Mr Horner said.

“If we secured the whole of the carpark, we could possibly do more school building on that site.”

Possible residential development has been raised previously.

The Stadiums Queensland spokesman said the options for the site would take into account any adjacent uses, unused portions of land as well as current zoning requirements and Queensland Government land disposal policies.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
https://inqld.com.au/statewide/2020/02/12/townsville-businesses-look-to-new-nq-cowboys-stadium-to-bring-life-back-to-depressed-cbd/

Hopes for Cowboys stadium to kick life into Townsville CBD
STATEWIDE
Nathalie Fernbach / ABC

Like many Townsville city retailers, Lucy Downes is eagerly looking forward to the opening of the city’s new $290 million stadium later this month.

1km from the CBD, it is hoped the stadium can reinvigorate Townsville's city heart. (Photo: supplied: David Cook)
One kilometre from the CBD, it is hoped the new home ground for NRL team the North Queensland Cowboys will bring an economic boost to the depressed city heart.“It’s make or break now really. We are relying on the stadium to make a huge difference,” Downes said.

Townsville’s main street, Flinders Street, was not always the patchwork of empty shop fronts and ‘for lease’ signs.

In the 1980s it was a bustling open air mall and thriving retail precinct that included a major department store.

PHOTO: Townsville shop owner Lucy Downes said empty shop fronts and ‘for lease’ signs have an impact on her business. (ABC North Queensland: Nathalie Fernbach)
However, as development spread to the suburbs, many retailers opted out of the city for air-conditioned shopping centres and the department store closed in 1993.

Flinders Street became increasingly run down over the following decades.

The street was refurbished and re-opened to traffic in 2011 but a number of shops had closed down for good by the time the three-year upgrade was completed.

Downes said business had initially been good following the re-opening, but the last three or four years had been “the worst”.

She has laid off all five of her staff just to keep her business open.

“If [the stadium] doesn’t bring us the benefits and the rewards we are anticipating, I am very worried for the future of a lot of traders, including myself,” she said.

Stadium just one piece of CBD recovery puzzle
Cafe owner Mark McDonald is not convinced the stadium alone can reinvigorate the city.

He said the central business district needed a large drawcard retailer to attract shoppers, plus more parking, and rents that reflected the current economic situation.

“I feel that the CBD has died a death of a thousand cuts … I could fire a cannon up the main street and I won’t hit anyone,” he said.

McDonald said he would trial opening late on event nights, even though he suspects his business will not get much of a boost from the stadium.

“I can’t sit here and complain if I’m not doing anything about it,” he said.

“I really hope that my colleagues in small business will get some overflow from the stadium.

“A lot of taxpayer money has gone into that [and] I think it would be a travesty if we don’t get some overflow.”

Defibrillator for city heart
Flinders Street hotel manager Paul Gray said while his guests did comment on the lack of things to do in the city centre, he was hopeful the stadium would restart the city’s heart.

“As we have seen in the last few years, with more ‘for lease’ signs coming up there is less and less to see on Flinders Street,” Gray said.

“When there is less business activity and less shops open on the main street, we do tend to see an increase in antisocial behaviour going on.

“If a culture can be built where people get out before the game, they walk along the street and stop at a few points on the way to the stadium, there is some potential for businesses to do better.”

Stadium a catalyst for change of culture, economy
President of the Townsville Chamber of Commerce, Michele Falconieri, believes the stadium will be a catalyst for economic development and cultural change in Townsville and adjacent regions.

He said there had already been more movement in commercial properties ahead of the venue’s opening this month.

Falconieri believes the venue will foster connectivity between the city’s Strand foreshore, Palmer St restaurant precinct, and CBD if people were willing to embrace cultural change.

“Some people are concerned about having to walk and not just be able to park out the front but, that is what we are talking about — a change of culture here.”

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Hopefully this is the kick in the pants the whole CBD needs. But that article
is highly misleading. The mall has ebbed and flowed ever since the early 80’s when I was a kid, the problem is these days is that people shop from the comfort of their home now, it’s a different world.

Thurman Merman

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Any new pubs/bars/restaurants popping up near the stadium before the season commences? Or is it the same old shit?
I hear they'll be honouring former cowboys with the stores picked to open around the station. There will be a Barber, MacDonalds restaurant and probably two Dim Sims stalls.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Hopefully this is the kick in the pants the whole CBD needs. But that article
is highly misleading. The mall has ebbed and flowed ever since the early 80’s when I was a kid, the problem is these days is that people shop from the comfort of their home now, it’s a different world.
Yep.

Bricks and Mortar shops are struggling in the Bourke Street Mall let alone the Barcaldine one.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I think the article is very accurate and the solutions the business owners etc offered are good.
I like Mayor Hill but her leadership surrounding the mall has been poor.
People fear going into the city and facing a parking fine. That kind of thing is for down south, we dont take kindly to paying for parking. The Mayor introduced paid parking. The fines collected will pay the wages of the inspectors, with a small amount left over-not worth the anxiety it causes to citizens thinking of travelling to city.

Regardless I will vote for Mayor Hill, because of her recent car accident and overall seems to do a good job. Other candidates not inspiring, worthy.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I think the article is very accurate and the solutions the business owners etc offered are good.
I like Mayor Hill but her leadership surrounding the mall has been poor.
People fear going into the city and facing a parking fine. That kind of thing is for down south, we dont take kindly to paying for parking. The Mayor introduced paid parking. The fines collected will pay the wages of the inspectors, with a small amount left over-not worth the anxiety it causes to citizens thinking of travelling to city.

Regardless I will vote for Mayor Hill, because of her recent car accident and overall seems to do a good job. Other candidates not inspiring, worthy.
Local politics!! Yay