Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

CBD stadium

samuraipolice

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
1300 Smiles grew on me at the end. But I'm sorta happy the new stadium isn't named after a dentist.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Got a link for it Stido?
Sorry for the delay Revivous, been flat out. You can have a read through the .pdf on Councils site. https://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/2020/projects/central-park

I've seen a few plans and fly throughs of what is being proposed and like what I've seen at this stage. The whole area will be linked to the Strand with walkways, boardwalks and foot bridges in the future. Also a planned Concert Hall in the area with I think 1000 additional carparks. I'm happy to wait and see how things progress. The area is planned to be very inclusive and user friendly.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay Revivous, been flat out. You can have a read through the .pdf on Councils site. https://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/2020/projects/central-park

I've seen a few plans and fly throughs of what is being proposed and like what I've seen at this stage. The whole area will be linked to the Strand with walkways, boardwalks and foot bridges in the future. Also a planned Concert Hall in the area with I think 1000 additional carparks. I'm happy to wait and see how things progress. The area is planned to be very inclusive and user friendly.
Interesting plan. I like the precinct approach with the concert hall adjacent to the stadium increasing the event draw to the area. My only concern is the lack of reasons to visit the precinct outside a major (or sub-major) event. Why would a local or tourist visit the precinct outside an event? If they can't get a regular flow of people to the precinct it's going to limit their ability to attract commercial interest. It's not a unique problem, but the comps they made to other developments were almost purely foreshore developments where there was a natural amenity as a drawcard (like The Strand). Hope they can find a solution and turn an under-used inner-city location into something special.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Interesting plan. I like the precinct approach with the concert hall adjacent to the stadium increasing the event draw to the area. My only concern is the lack of reasons to visit the precinct outside a major (or sub-major) event. Why would a local or tourist visit the precinct outside an event? If they can't get a regular flow of people to the precinct it's going to limit their ability to attract commercial interest. It's not a unique problem, but the comps they made to other developments were almost purely foreshore developments where there was a natural amenity as a drawcard (like The Strand). Hope they can find a solution and turn an under-used inner-city location into something special.
Hilton subsidiary has been approved to be built next door. I’d say someone will open up a brewery or something on the doorstep of the stadium.

There was nothing except for Brothers Leagues next to 1300’s, this area will shit on what we’ve had previously

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Cough.... Cough......... Water Park

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Cough.... Cough......... Water Park

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Raise the bar - series of water parks and water slides connecting Castle Hill, The Strand and the stadium precinct.

I saw Jenny Hill this morning - could have pitched the idea if I was smarter.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Hilton subsidiary has been approved to be built next door. I’d say someone will open up a brewery or something on the doorstep of the stadium.

There was nothing except for Brothers Leagues next to 1300’s, this area will shit on what we’ve had previously
A new Brewery has just opened in Palmer Street Beave.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
The TCC is doing what it can, it's up to the private sector to do their bit as well.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
A new Brewery has just opened in Palmer Street Beave.
Take a page out of the area around my work. Breweries everywhere. There’s at least 4 I know of in walking distance from my work plus a gin distillery.

Though, that’s Inner West Sydney, not Townsville...

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Take a page out of the area around my work. Breweries everywhere. There’s at least 4 I know of in walking distance from my work plus a gin distillery.

Though, that’s Inner West Sydney, not Townsville...

I have 6 in walking distance to my apartment here in Brisbane... it's great, not so much for the pocket though.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Any idea of ticket release dates?

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to create the link but there is an article in todays TSVL Bully saying that two of the streets around stadium will be called;
Graham Murray Place
Wally Tallis Snr Way
Very fitting choices IMO.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Terrible names for streets. Australia just doesn't get it. Stop using whole names, stop using stupid-sounding names.
Murray Way. Tallis Way. Acceptable, if a little boring. If the surname alone isn't enough to identify the person, they're not famous enough to name a street after.

Reactions: CC

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Matt “Mango” Bowen Court
Ty Williams Way
Mitchell Sargeant Crescent

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Terrible names for streets. Australia just doesn't get it. Stop using whole names, stop using stupid-sounding names.
Murray Way. Tallis Way. Acceptable, if a little boring. If the surname alone isn't enough to identify the person, they're not famous enough to name a street after.
Call it Tallis way and which one are they naming it after? Wally Snr did more for NQ footy than Gordon, I don’t want people to get confused as to whom they are actually honouring with this one.

And there’s already a Murray St in the city, so having 2 within about km of each other would be shit.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I like that Graham Murray is being recognised. Pretty cool.
yeah agreed. I voted and did the write up thing for GM when the public was asked online, and for the f***ing life of me I can’t remember who the other one was that I voted for? I know it wasn’t Tallis Snr