Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

CBD stadium

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Well I'm sold, I'll be there round one
Let's hope the team shows up too

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Think I'll wait. After green shits the bed & we're 1-6 they'll be ringing up begging for people to go to games

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Any idea when single game tickets go on sale?
The draw doesn't usually come out till after the season doesn't it?

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
The draw doesn't usually come out till after the season doesn't it?
Yeah you're right - kinda need the draw first, hey. I'm just too eager to get a ticket so I can book flights and accommodation. Going to be a busy weekend in Townsville unless they schedule our opener for a Tuesday morning.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah you're right - kinda need the draw first, hey. I'm just too eager to get a ticket so I can book flights and accommodation. Going to be a busy weekend in Townsville unless they schedule our opener for a Tuesday morning.
Do what I usually do, book multiple dates with free cancellation then drop off the ones you don't want.......oh shit, I've given the secret away, off to booking.com for me

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

sigh

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Players outside the stadium from Twitter:

View attachment 1451

* TMM in good spirits.
* Hola coming for you in your nightmares.
* Jango looking really stoked about losing his contract.
* Juzzy looking buff as usual.
* A wild Matt Scott appears!
* Everyone's favourite player of all time front-and-centre
* Hess is there, but you wouldn't know it

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Johnathan Thurston’s historic 2015 grand final field goal to be immortalised in bronze
MADURA MCCORMACK, Townsville Bulletin
September 18, 2019 12:58pm

THE design of the life-size statue of rugby league legend Johnathan Thurston to be installed at the North Queensland Stadium has been unveiled.

Thurston will be immortalised in bronze in the same stance he was in when he kicked the historic field goal that sealed the North Queensland Cowboys premiership victory in 2015.

Townsville artist Jane Hawkins has been picked to sculpt the bronze version of JT.

Ms Hawkins will team up with Dean Rusling, owner and operator of Chalkos Fine Arts Foundry, the same company that fabricated the bronze statues of the football legends Arthur Beetson, Mal Meninga and Alfie Langer that stand at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the government had worked with Johnathan and his wife Samantha Thurston, Townsville City Council and the stadium architect to select the winning design.

“It’s a fitting tribute to have a statue of JT’s NRL Grand Final-winning field goal in honour of his contribution to the sport and the North Queensland community.

“The life-size bronze statue will stand tall in the northern entry plaza and welcome locals and visitors who attend games and events at this world class stadium,” she said.

Artist Ms Hawkins said JT is an outstanding ambassador for North Queensland, Indigenous culture and the community.

“It is a great honour to create a tribute to a man who is such a legend both on and off the football field,” she said.

“As a local resident of Townsville and an avid follower of the North Queensland Cowboys, I am excited by the project and being able to celebrate JT.

“I watched him kick that winning field goal in 2015 with my breath held, and time seemed to be suspended in that moment.”

Townsville Acting Mayor Les Walker said JT deserved the recognition as one of the greatest sporting champions of a generation and for his community work.

“Last year we temporarily renamed Townsville’s iconic Goat Track the JT Track, but it’s fitting that he has a permanent monument like this one,” he said.

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/townsville/johnathan-thurstons-historic-2015-grand-final-field-goal-to-be-immortalised-in-bronze/news-story/2a5623936a21bef53a8d080906377764

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Is it a kicking tee tho? It looks to come to a point at the top, maybe it will be clear perspex type material to give the appearance of being suspended

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Disappointed it's not JT handing his headgear to a child - allowing young fans to have their picture taken receiving the headgear in front of the new stadium.

The easier solution to the weird kicking tee thing is just use the image of him with the ball on the ground before being kicked. A little artistic licence is better than some weird kicking tee thingy.