Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

CBD stadium

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Tell me where the demand is? Show me where and when the entertainment centre is constantly being sold out hosting events that warrant an upgrade?
That's like saying there is no need for wheelchair accessible Taxi's because there has been no demand for them. The fact that Taxi's weren't accessible therefor unable to be used by people who use wheelchairs was the reason there was no demand.

The fact that the current establishment doesn't meet requirements is why there is low demand for it.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
That's like saying there is no need for wheelchair accessible Taxi's because there has been no demand for them. The fact that Taxi's weren't accessible therefor unable to be used by people who use wheelchairs was the reason there was no demand.

The fact that the current establishment doesn't meet requirements is why there is low demand for it.
No it isn’t. One is an essential service for persons with a disability. The other is not. Save your straw man argument for another time.

There is an entertainment centre there to be used. If there was a strong market here, organisations would be flocking here to use it and cash in.

People just need to accept that a regional city of 170,000 people that is 1300km away from its capital city is not on the corporate radar. It’s an absolute (and some would say unnecessary) miracle that we’ve even got a new stadium to begin with. You give an inch and they take a mile...

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Guys, there's no point in feeding the beast. We know where he stands, let's just move on.

Reactions: CC

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score

A BRONZE life-size version of NQ Cowboys great Johnathan Thurston will “stand watch” over a time capsule at the North Queensland Stadium, but the statue’s pose remains unknown.

The State Government has asked for expressions of interest from artists to develop a statue of Townsville NRL king Thurston.
Tender documents obtained by the Townsville Bulletin revealed the base of the statue would be mounted to include “provisions for a time capsule with the view that JT ‘stands watch’ over the capsule”.

Townsville MP Scott Stewart said it was still unknown what would be put in the time capsule.

“This is something we’ll probably talk to the community about and of course to the Cowboys and what the people of Townsville thinks should actually go into that time capsule,” he said.

“But I think it should be more than just a celebration of the stadium and Cowboys, this needs to be a celebration of North Queensland and a celebration of the people of Townsville.”

It is understood the statue will be similar to those installed outside Suncorp Stadium of Wally Lewis and Mal Meninga.

The statue will be designed to reflect an “action pose” of Thurston “reflecting his playing career” but the final pose will have to be agreed upon between the State Government and the successful designer.

It is understood the statue “must be” on site and ready for installation by January 2020, which gives the artist about six months to complete the project.

Bronze JT must be made out of materials “structurally robust” enough to withstand the weight of fans climbing on the statue, as well as all weather conditions.

It will be installed at the northern entry plaza of the North Queensland Stadium and will be about 179cm tall, the same height as Thurston.
The expression of interest stage will close at 2pm on July 22. The State Government will then make a shortlist of suppliers to move on to the tender stage.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
My vote goes to the Grand Final Winning Field Goal pose.

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
It should also be at least 100m tall and on the top of Magnetic Island.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Alright. Maybe I need to change my vote....

I reckon the shot where the ball is sideways, to really emphasise how great that moment was.
yeah, me too. i just couldn’t find it........

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Is there a DVD of the Grand Final? I want one where you get every camera-angle included.
I like looking into the crowd to see the faces of the Broncos fans when Hunt drops the ball.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
THE naming rights for the new North Queensland Stadium has become an expensive commodity. 1300SMILES managing director Dr Daryl Holmes said the new stadium would not be named after his Townsville-based national dentistry company after his offer was rejected.

As the current naming rights holder of the existing stadium, Dr Holmes had been given first dibs on making Stadiums Queensland an offer.

“It has been refused and obviously it is now out to the market through Stadiums Queensland,” he said.

“It’s gone to market because they think it’s worth a lot more, and we’ve said good luck with that.

“They might just sign up if someone comes along and offers them a gazillion dollars for the next five years and bless their cotton socks and good on Stadiums Queensland and the government.”

Dr Holmes said he had been in negotiations with Stadiums Queensland for a month but had been told “vastly more” money was expected.

The State Government opened up expressions of interests for naming rights on the North Queensland Stadium on June 28.

A Stadiums Queensland spokeswoman said “significant market interest” for the naming rights was expected to “drive up cost”.

“There have been a significant number expressions of interest for the North Queensland Stadium naming rights,” she said.

The cost of naming rights for stadium across Queensland and Australia are highly guarded for commercial reasons.

Mr Holmes said he could not “confirm nor deny” how much 1300SMILES had paid for naming rights of Townsville’s ageing stadium for the past 7 years however the Townsville Bulletin understands it was about $200,000 to $250,000 a year.

The naming rights for Carrara Stadium on the Gold Coast, which has a similar 25,000 spectator capacity as the North Queensland Stadium, was bought by Metricon Homes in 2011 for an estimated five-year contract worth $3 million.

It is understood Adani Australia do not plan to put forward a submission. The mining giant holds naming rights for Adani Arena in Rockhampton.

Honeycombes Property Group managing director Peter Honeycombe said his company, which operates solely in Queensland, would not be putting forward an application.

He said there had been some speculation among businessman in Townsville.

“We believe it will be an organisation that wants national brand exposure, like BMD constructions or Hutchinson’s or someone who has a growth strategy nationally,” he said.

“Because the brand exposure nationally would be a lot cheaper on our stadium rather than at Suncorp Stadium for example.”

The Townsville Bulletin also contacted rail company Aurizon and Bank of Queensland. Both declined to comment.

Dr Holmes said securing naming rights had been the “greatest branding initiative” 1300SMILES had ever undertaken.

Thuringowa MP Aaron Harper said he was sure “major employers” in the region would have “keen interest” in the naming rights.

“This stadium is built for North Queenslanders so I hope it’s a major North Queensland sponsor who lands the naming rights,” he said. Expressions of interest close on August 30.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Ticket prices at the new stadium will be interesting. Ticket prices at Titans games were ridiculous when I attended about 5 years ago - presumably because Stadiums Queensland were charging like a wounded bull for rent.

This stadium has been built with money from a lot of different sources so it will be interesting to see how much from expensive tickets are at the new stadium.

Even the tiniest increase will see a Townsville Bullet faux outrage story no doubt.

Rumbo

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
This stadium has been built with money from a lot of different sources so it will be interesting to see how much from expensive tickets are at the new stadium.
They will gouge the public while the Honeymoon effect is in. Then will have to reduce the prices after the "New Stadium" appeal has disappeared.