Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

CBD stadium

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
The key word here is entertainment/CONVENTION centre. There is a massive market for holding conventions. At present Townsvillle is not hitting the mark in this space. Hence the long term plan to address this. Give it 5 or so years and it will start to materialise.

Personally I look the look, aesthetically, of the new joint. Different to other stadiums somewhat unique. A bit like Cowboy supporters.
There’s literally no demand in Townsville to warrant spending millions of dollars building a brand new entertainment/convention centre.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Beaves & Rudi are correct. Apart from both 1300 & The Townsville Entertainment & Convention Centre (TECC) being passed their use by date, neither of them meet current standards. Like it or not the new stadium is going to be 100 times better than what we currently have. Along with the attached High Performance Unit it will not only help us retain players, but will also help to bring players and coach's here. It will also help to lure the corporate dollar and international acts that we have previously failed to attract.

Townsville has also historically missed out on conferences for 2 reasons. The outdated TECC & the lack of appropriate accommodation. A new Entertainment & Convention Centre, along with the new stadium is going to go a long way to addressing both of those.

Add to that the plans for the surrounding areas and it's going to be a winner for Townsville, its econnomy and residents.

Fair dinkum, if some on this forum were responsible for community development we'd still be living in caves.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I doubt there is any demand for a convention/entertainment centre. Townsville has generated these ideas for decades. Example:

* A cable car to the top of Castle Hill will bring tourists to Townsville. This one comes up every few years.
* A restaurant on top of Castle Hill. (It closed down)
* The Strand would bring tourists to Townsville. I have never met a tourist who has come to Townsville because of the New (ish) strand. I have met many who come here because of Magnetic Island. The Strand looks good but I don't think it brings tourists to Townsville.
* Opening up the Townsville Mall will bring shoppers back to the city centre.
* The entertainment centre.
* The mens basketball team.
* Not sure if the Dean park sound shell is still being used.

Positive initiatives:

* The Cowboys
* I am told the V8 supercar event is popular.

By the way. One of the best concerts I went to was Dire Straits in 1986. It was at the Townsville Showground.

Goodness knows how much tax payer money has been wasted.
Where do you draw the line at attempting to bring people to Townsville? Do you just subscribe to the theory of “that didn’t work, so no point trying this”?

The convention industry is surely a big money generator. With a new convention centre in Sydney, no one will bother with an old run down facility. If Townsville does want to tap into that market and be competitive they will NEED a new centre or a decent upgrade to the current facilities.

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Fair dinkum, if some on this forum were responsible for community development we'd still be living in caves.
At least our stadium would be fully enclosed like all the other normal modern day stadiums built :rolleyes:

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Is there even enough room for a convention centre on the open end anyways? I'm just going by the app but it looks like it'd be too close to the water and the road.

One of the original proposals showed a fully enclosed stadium alongside a convention centre which was going to act as the Crocodiles home ground.

Looks to me that convention centre idea has been scrapped unless they want to have it where it's located in that second pic which looks to be Dean Park.

Last edited:

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
How boring does that enclosed stadium look. I'm glad it's not a Cbus v2. Look at Bankwest. Could be any generic football stadium in the world. I actually like Cbus and Bankwest but when fans are sitting in silence (every Titans game, Tigers v Raiders at Bankwest a few weeks ago) it doesn't matter that they're fully enclosed.

Fans need to create atmosphere. It'll be rocking regardless of the open end if its somewhat full and the fans are loud. McDonald Jones has two open ends but Knights fans actually make noise during games and create atmosphere. GIO Stadium is basically a paddock and the atmosphere has been great when the fans pack it. Look at the 2016 final against Cronulla. Shark Park looks like a Q Cup venue and it's louder every game than 1300.

Also, leave the nerd who pumps music during every stoppage in play at the old ground please.

Reactions: CC

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
j
At least our stadium would be fully enclosed like all the other normal modern day stadiums built :rolleyes:
I’ve been fortunate enough to
attend games at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Bank of America in Charlotte, Arrowhead and Kauffman stadium in Kansas city, Dodger and Angel stadium, Qualcomm and Petco Park in San Diego. Oracle park in San Fran.

They ALL either have zero roof coverage or are not completely enclosed. Baseball stadiums are notorious for having random stands or features and open ends. Petco has an old warehouse ffs that has been turned into a bunch of corporate suites and a bar up top but it adds character to the stadium and the locals love it.

I see your point but I don’t agree with it. You don’t need a continuous stand profile to encompass a stadium to qualify it as a ‘modern’ imo.

even the Seahawks stadium in Seattle has an ‘open end’ so you can see the city skyline

Granted Tvl doesn’t have a skyline akin to that of Seattle, but it will still be nice to have some breeze let into
the joint during March-April home games.

Last edited:

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
I’ve been fortunate enough to
attend games at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Bank of America in Charlotte, Arrowhead and Kauffman stadium in Kansas city, Dodger and Angel stadium, Qualcomm and Petco Park in San Diego. Oracle park in San Fran.

They ALL either have zero roof coverage or are not completely enclosed. Baseball stadiums are notorious for having random stands or features. Petco has an old warehouse ffs that has been turned into a bunch of corporate suites and a bar up top but it adds character to
the stadium and the locals love
it.

I see your point but I don’t agree with it. You don’t need a continuous stand profile to encompass a stadium to qualify it as a ‘modern’.
Think you’re comparing apples with oranges when comparing the designs of a baseball multi purpose stadium to a rectangular stadium.

And as someone who’s sat in sub zero temperatures whilst it was raining/snowing in yankee stadium, i’d have thought a roof would have come in handy and improved the overall viewing experience.

I guess some people like our stadium’s design, and others don’t. Happy to have my opinion changed once we start playing matches there and I get to experience it first hand.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
SaY tHe sTaDiUM iS pErFeCt or DoNt Go.

The open end is very very ordinary stuff. It’s terrible and half baked imho. You have a chance to build something great and you leave a whole end open. I knew they would cock some of it up though. It’s par for the course.

However on the whole, it’s a nice stadium and obviously way better than the old dump at Kirwan.
One of the highest regarded stadiums in the NFL is the Buccaneers in Tampa Florida. Tampa is a tropical coastal city with very high humidity during the early part of the NFL season (kinda sounds familiar yeah??)

Both of its ends are ‘open’..........

One end is a pretend pirates cove with a pirate ship and all the concession stands done in an island theme, the other is extremely bland and vanilla with some palm trees and a replay screen...... having open ends doesn’t seem to effect its ability to host big games either, has hosted 2 superbowls and a 3rd in Feb 2021.

Last edited:

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
j

Granted Tvl doesn’t have a skyline akin to that of Seattle, but it will still be nice to have some breeze let into
the joint during March-April home games.
Oh, I don't know, should get a decent view of the sugar shaker from most seats

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Look, at the end of the day I'm sure if the demand is there the 'open side' of the stadium can eventually be closed in. The debate about acoustics and atmosphere is null and void until you're actually sitting there. Speculating a debating about these sorts of things before the stadium is complete is an absolute effort in futility - nobody knows until the thing is complete.

Even then, there will be bits that are shit that they'll have to fix up. I'm just bloody happy we're getting a stadium and here's hoping we fill it every weekend we play.

Last thing you want is a whopping great new stadium that you can't fill even once a season without our help (looking at you Titans).

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
So, merely an unsubstantiated attempt to make your opinion seem to have some extra weight. As for "literally', well....
Perhaps you'd find the English language would better serve you if you learned to master its forms.

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
So, merely an unsubstantiated attempt to make your opinion seem to have some extra weight. As for "literally', well....
Perhaps you'd find the English language would better serve you if you learned to master its forms.
Tell me where the demand is? Show me where and when the entertainment centre is constantly being sold out hosting events that warrant an upgrade?

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Tell me where the demand is? Show me where and when the entertainment centre is constantly being sold out hosting events that warrant an upgrade?
Because upgrading a venue has never led to more demand in the history of entertainment, ever.

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Because upgrading a venue has never led to more demand in the history of entertainment, ever.
So is that you conceding that there is no present demand from the Townsville market that warrants spending millions of dollars on a new centre, and you want to put all your eggs in the “build it and they’ll come” basket?