Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

CBD stadium

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, the 360 degree centre field virtual look around of the finish product has me a tad excited. Geeze it’s annoying how there is one end of the ground that hasn’t got a roof and is not fully enclosed. Makes zero sense to me as to why they’ve designed it that way.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, the 360 degree centre field virtual look around of the finish product has me a tad excited. Geeze it’s annoying how there is one end of the ground that hasn’t got a roof and is not fully enclosed. Makes zero sense to me as to why they’ve designed it that way.
The original intent was to have the new entertainment centre joined at the northern end like Wollongong. Whilst that has been shelved for the time being (it may never eventuate now tbh due to the crocs death) I personally like the open end, gives it character and allows the breeze to flow through in the arvos. Would also keep the cost down of the build and allows you to have a more informal and cheaper seating area for those whom may not want to sit in the stands.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Sort of weird how it doesn't seem to have external walls.. you just see the back of the seats from the outside.. and you can see the field from the outside at any angle. Makes you wonder how enclosed it'll feel.

I've never been a fan of the open end either. Hopefully it still generates a good atmosphere.. hard to judge what it'll be like from the pictures.

Metro

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Not enclosing the stadium completely with 4 stands was a mistake. Still, it looks decent.

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Please let the acoustics be worthy.

Newcastle Stadium has open ends but acoustically that ground shits all over the Cowboys stadium.

Metro

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Need top notch acoustics, how else will we hear Cotton Eye Joe at 100% volume while a scrum is being packed?
Lol playing that sort of music whilst the play is on is peak Townsville. Reminds me of that playlist they played during Crocs games which they didn’t update for 15 years.

Reactions: CC

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Sort of weird how it doesn't seem to have external walls.. you just see the back of the seats from the outside.. and you can see the field from the outside at any angle. Makes you wonder how enclosed it'll feel.

I've never been a fan of the open end either. Hopefully it still generates a good atmosphere.. hard to judge what it'll be like from the pictures.
I'm guessing that is to alleviate any potential pressure build up on the roof structure in the event of a cyclone, wind will just blow through

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
It's going to have a fantastic big screen at the open end. It will be bigger than those at Suncorp Stadium.

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Showed my wife the App and I commented that I was not a fan of the open end. Her reply was completely opposite. She pointed out how often we comment about the beautiful sunsets while sitting on the hill watching the footy............

I hadn't thought of it before then. Now I have to agree with her. That open end will be a real unique experience and a point of difference to the standard ground in suburbia........ Think of Wollongong and soon Thurston Stadium.......

Bring it on

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2019/06/12/reid-park-bridge-to-boost-new-stadium-access/

Reid Park Bridge to boost new stadium access
Cowboys.com.au
Wed 12 Jun 2019, 01:00 PM

The announcement of a new $7.4 million pedestrian bridge to be built at Reid Park, adjacent to the new North Queensland Stadium, is another boost for members and fans attending Cowboys home games from 2020.

Map of North Queensland Stadium precinct with Reid Park pedestrian rail overpass (far left)

Map of North Queensland Stadium precinct with Reid Park pedestrian rail overpass (far left)

The new Reid Park Active Transport Bridge will be located 450m to the south of the new stadium and will provide pedestrian access over the railway line from car parking at Reid Park.

The infrastructure investment will complement the conversion of the Little Fletcher Bridge, part of the Townsville Waterfront Promenade project, which will give a direct pedestrian link to the new stadium from the Central precinct.

Stadium precinct showing pedestrian access via Reid Park Active Transport Bridge and Little Fletcher Bridge

Stadium precinct showing pedestrian access via Reid Park Active Transport Bridge and Little Fletcher Bridge

North Queensland Toyota Cowboys CEO Jeff Reibel said the club was delighted with the second announcement on pedestrian infrastructure around the new stadium in as many months.

"It's fantastic to see these exciting projects in the pipeline that will enhance the game-day experience for our members and fans from 2020," Mr Reibel said.

"As planning progresses we're seeing the blueprint of our travel to and from the new stadium taking shape, and how the CBD and surrounding precinct will open up access to the venue.

"Over the coming months this will really come together as our government and city stakeholders finalise the city's traffic management plan for Cowboys game days and events at North Queensland Stadium.

"We're committed to making the transition to our new CBD stadium as streamlined as possible for our members and fans, and to the contribution we can all make to a revitalised city heart."

The project is part of the Queensland Government's $40 million Growth Area and Regional Infrastructure Investment Fund.

Artist's impression of the Reid Park Active Transport Bridge

Artist's impression of the Reid Park Active Transport Bridge

Member for Townsville Scott Stewart said the project would improve liveability and bring more employment to the north.

“The Reid Park Active Transport Bridge is crucial to ensure the efficient operation of North Queensland Stadium, delivering improved, safer and more direct access between park-and-ride facilities and our city’s new sports and entertainment precinct," Mr Stewart said.

Councillor Jenny Hill, Mayor of Townsville, welcomed the funding for the pedestrian and cycle bridge and said this provides safe access over the rail lines to over 1,100 car parks at Reid Park.

"The new bridge is part of the broader plan for traffic, pedestrian and car parking for the new stadium which focusses on maximising the game day experience for fans and activating our CBD," Cr Hill said.

The bridge will be delivered by the Department of Transport and Main Roads.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I got a few pics on the way in today. As soon as I can work out how to reduce file size I'll post up.
Not likely tonight though currently on the piss at league club

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Can I get an update on how far behind program they are?