Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

CBD stadium

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I didnt realize, until going over past posts/pics that RCQ are involved, hope someone ( ie, Watpac) is supervising them. They built a number of high rises here in Mackay in the last 10 years & everyone of them has problems, particularly water problems. Good for me cos get work repairing all the leaks & structural crack repair injection, but i can tell you from a building perspective they are absolute shit. One of the biggest failures is their waterproofing, every planterbox at 2 buildings here in mackay leak & failed

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I'm sort of hoping their involved in the playing surface preparation, at least that way I know the water will get away

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

If you can't access the above, try here:

If you can't stomach the simpering News Corp-ScoMo love fest the long and short of it is LNP are expected to announce tomorrow they will foot $15m of the bill for a new $45m training facility/Centre of Excellence to be attached to the new stadium.

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Aerial photos of the new North Queensland Stadium in Townsville. Picture: Zak Simmonds

Nines set to head to Townsville

THE soon-to-be completed $250 million North Queensland Stadium shapes as a future home for the NRL Nines.

Blindside understands the NRL has not given up hope of resurrecting the pre-season tournament with Townsville a leading candidate to host the fifth edition of the Nines in 2020.

After four colourful years in Auckland, the Nines was put on hold for the 2018 season. The carnival event then suffered a further blow when it was suspended again this year in a worrying sign rugby league’s version of cricket’s Big Bash was dead.

But the Nines could be relaunched in Townsville next year. Suncorp Stadium has always been viewed as the perfect alternative to the Nines’ inaugural home at Auckland’s Eden Park but Townsville’s new 25,000-capacity stadium – to be opened next year – is a legitimate option.

This would be sick. Don't think it's very likely, but still....

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
No to the nines being resurrected

No to the new stadium being christened with a mickey mouse tournament

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'd rather the Nines than the All-stars game which was also being thrown around. At least we could be the ones to christen the stadium albeit if it's in a Nines jersey.

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
I disliked the concept but obviously embraced it the weekend it was on as it was some form of footy on tv after a long off season.

If it does come back, I don’t think it’ll be hosted in townsville. It wouldn’t make sense from a marketing perspective to have it in townsville, when they could host it in prospective areas in order to attempt to grow the game (perth, adelaide, wellington etc etc) with one eye on eventually expanding there.

I also think the NRL need to have a look at the prize money on offer for the 9’s. You got more money rocking up to Auckland and bowing out of the tournament for 54 minutes of footy, than you do for winning the NRL minor premiership. More emphasis on financial reward for winning what is arguably the most difficult trophy in our competitio to win (minor premiership), and less for simply participating in a Mickey Mouse competition. Not to mention that the winner of the 9’s got just 30K less than the eventual NRL premiers.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
lunacy scheduling games in NQ that time of the year. I hope it isn’t the event that opens the joint. Should be us v dogs imo. We don’t keep a tradition going with our jerseys, would be nice to do something that harks back to the old days other than sucking bulk ass.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
lunacy scheduling games in NQ that time of the year. I hope it isn’t the event that opens the joint. Should be us v dogs imo. We don’t keep a tradition going with our jerseys, would be nice to do something that harks back to the old days other than sucking bulk ass.
I agree but I’d be all over a 9s in Townsville . I’d have my brolly and poncho ready.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Let's be honest, apart from a freak system this year it hardly rains in Townsville during the so called wet season anyways. It'll be hot no doubt, but then again it's only 9 minutes per half.

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Let's be honest, apart from a freak system this year it hardly rains in Townsville during the so called wet season anyways. It'll be hot no doubt, but then again it's only 9 minutes per half.
It’d not so much be the players that’d suffer, but it’d be the fans sitting out in 30+ degrees. Couldn’t think of anything worse.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
All seats are covered in the new stadium, I think

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah true that. Wouldn't be so bad if you got a seat up the back and was in in the shade I suppose. Stands are covered but that will obviously depend on where the sun is as to whether you'll be in the shade or not.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
it’s like a 5-6 year cycle. Bulk wet season weather for a few years and then it eases up for a few years. Rinse repeat.

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Anyone go to the 97 Super League nines?

Thought it was great, and it looks like they are going to bring back the international format.

I'm all for it.