Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

CBD stadium

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
What’s the area around the stadium like with regards to development of bars/restaurants etc? They’re planning on building a hub of sorts full of those kind of establishments yeah? Or are they just relying on the already establishment bars and restaurants in the city?
I don't know about the number of new venues.

I'm not sure what existing restaurant/bar owners would think about a stack of new places. I'm thinking the existing restaurants may have been hoping for a boost in revenue. The lack of people in the city is quite striking compared to what it used to be 25-30 years ago.

How many times will the stadium be used for events in a year? 12-13? I'm guessing that twelve to thirteen nights per year out of 365 probably won't be enough to support a new restaurant/bar business located next to the stadium.

MPW_Fanboy

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I don't know about the number of new venues.

I'm not sure what existing restaurant/bar owners would think about a stack of new places. I'm thinking the existing restaurants may have been hoping for a boost in revenue. The lack of people in the city is quite striking compared to what it used to be 25-30 years ago.

How many times will the stadium be used for events in a year? 12-13? I'm guessing that twelve to thirteen nights per year out of 365 probably won't be enough to support a new restaurant/bar business located next to the stadium.
Yeah probably a fair point. If they have an efficient bus service from the cbd to the stadium which I’m sure they will than the bars and restraunts already around will be suffice. I do enjoy the atmosphere of a centralised hub on game day ala caxton st.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Yeah probably a fair point. If they have an efficient bus service from the cbd to the stadium which I’m sure they will than the bars and restraunts already around will be suffice. I do enjoy the atmosphere of a centralised hub on game day ala caxton st.
Bus? I figured that nearly everyone who wanted to go to the city would walk across the bridge. People with disabilities might need buses perhaps.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
the bus depot is now going to be across the creek in ogden st. Will be a small distance to travel to from get to the northern end of the new stadium.

MPW_Fanboy

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Bus? I figured that nearly everyone who wanted to go to the city would walk across the bridge. People with disabilities might need buses perhaps.
Majority will, but just thinking worst case scenario.

On that note - where will the closest area be to the stadium to dump your car for free for those that drive to the footy? The beauty of dairy farmers is there’s plenty of spots (willows/cannon park, surburban streets etc) to park your car for free. Won’t have that luxury with the new stadium unfortunately.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Majority will, but just thinking worst case scenario.

On that note - where will the closest area be to the stadium to dump your car for free for those that drive to the footy? The beauty of dairy farmers is there’s plenty of spots (willows/cannon park, surburban streets etc) to park your car for free. Won’t have that luxury with the new stadium unfortunately.
I did raise that issue on this forum a few years ago. It upset a few people. When I was living in Townsville I used to drive to the Willows and get on a bus there.

With the new stadium, maybe people could:

* catch the bus the whole way or
* drive to Castletown or Nathan Plaza or Hermit park shopping centres and catch the bus from there. Actually, the willows shopping centre might still be a viable bus pick up location for people living out that way.

This is partly why I wanted to see the traffic feasibility study on the issue.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
castletown would be utilised the same way willows has been. The v8 track might be used, Dean Park is a car park these days as well. There’ll be plenty of car parking around but public transport will be encouraged as it should be.

The railway yards to the east are currently abondoned so they might also be utilised for a while.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
article in today’s Bully talks about some concreting staff have been ordered back to work after striking for the last 4 days. As an outsider, the CFMEU seem to want to get this stadium to be ready right on deadline.............

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
The Stadium will be the catalyst for major works to that side of the river. You can view on the Council website https://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/building-planning-and-projects/council-projects/priority-development-area

There will also be some parking that will be close by at the Concert Hall that will be used for Stadium parking as well.
I hope you are right Stido. However, I will believe this when I see it. What about previous claims that others have made:

* Opening up the mall will bring consumers and business back to the Townsville central business district.
* The new Strand will boost tourism numbers. I have never met an international tourist that has even heard of the Strand before they arrived in town. International and domestic tourists have certainly heard about Magnetic Island though. Magnetic Island is what the tourists come for. Often, they just get straight off the bus and on the Magnetic Island ferry. Others fly in and go straight to the ferry terminal.
* The entertainment centre will be a massive boost for etc, etc,
* A new zipline on Castle hill.

Politicians and the people who support them like to make all sorts of claims. It is generally best to take these claims with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I hope you are right Stido. However, I will believe this when I see it. What about previous claims that others have made:

* Opening up the mall will bring consumers and business back to the Townsville central business district.
* The new Strand will boost tourism numbers. I have never met an international tourist that has even heard of the Strand before they arrived in town. International and domestic tourists have certainly heard about Magnetic Island though. Magnetic Island is what the tourists come for. Often, they just get straight off the bus and on the Magnetic Island ferry. Others fly in and go straight to the ferry terminal.
* The entertainment centre will be a massive boost for etc, etc,
* A new zipline on Castle hill.

Politicians and the people who support them like to make all sorts of claims. It is generally best to take these claims with a grain of salt.
It will be done.