Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

CBD stadium

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Right, here's the latest updates. Looks like QR aren't budging on the railyards in South Townsville so the latest renderings show 2 different potential sites. One on Southbank/monkey island and the other at the old Dean Park Soundshell. Also, the stadium design looks different to the previous versions.

Southbank

Dean Park

Inside the 'Stockyard'........

This would be awesome for Tvl and NQ.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Either of those sites would be awesome. I'd just love it to be closer to the city. So many people are trying to get to the CBD after the game and if everyone was already there it could solve a few problems. Would even help with the crowd numbers as we could get a few more blow ins.

Not sure whether the locals would go if they chose the Dean Park site though :p

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Which 'locals' do you speak of?............

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

fanfromsingapore

F
I ask the same question that I asked when threads of this nature were created last time. Where is the money coming from?

Both Lang Park and the Gold Coast stadium were built when the State government went a bit silly with their spending. The current state government has an agenda of correcting the financial mistakes of Captain Anna and Admiral Peter. The federal government are in the same mode.

I also have doubts about how well traffic would flow before and after games. There is the sea to the East. North Ward's local traffic roads to the North. That leaves South and West. Traffic bottlenecks?

The Gold coast stadium and Lang park have commuter train lines nearby. Something Townsville does not have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bundy

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Hope it goes ahead. Would be great! It's about time NQ gets something. Instead of everything going to the south east!

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I ask the same question that I asked when threads of this nature were created last time. Where is the money coming from?

Both Lang Park and the Gold Coast stadium were built when the State government went a bit silly with their spending. The current state government has an agenda of correcting the financial mistakes of Captain Anna and Admiral Peter. The federal government are in the same mode.

I also have doubts about how well traffic would flow before and after games. There is the sea to the East. North Ward's local traffic roads to the North. That leaves South and West. Traffic bottlenecks?

The Gold coast stadium and Lang park have commuter train lines nearby. Something Townsville does not have.
Sea to the east?i'd say more North but anyways.

When was the last time you were in in TVL?

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
No but there has been a dirty big bypass road built from Stuart to the Port assclown.

There is more access to either one of those 2 proposed sites than what there is at the 1300, go and look at a map.

fanfromsingapore

F
There is more access to either one of those 2 proposed sites than what there is at the 1300, go and look at a map.
I doubt that very much.

For someone who claims never to read my posts, you certainly seem to respond to a lot of them.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The only reason I'm responding to your posts is because the blocked poster option is currently unavailable since the forum re-opened. As soon as it's available again you will be back on it.

But I digress

At the moment the main entry and exit (which is the more important time)for 1300 is via golf links drive. I don't know if you've ever had to sit in a car after a game for an hour while the carpark tries to empty directly via a single lane suburban road but it's more frustrating than watching Ash Graham try to catch a bomb. Morindo drive is for buses and taxis only so the general punter can't use it to access the carparks.

The main problem is the initial exit is choked/constricted especially from the northern carpark as you can only turn right onto Golf Links and this is single lane for quite some time, turning left (if you're in the eastern carpark or brothers)is not so bad because within about 400m you get to harveys range road and then have the option of a left or right turn onto a double lane highway, which is not too bad but getting out of the eastern car park you also have to deal with a shit tin of people trying to cross the road you are trying to use while they are trying to get to brothers leagues which forces even more traffic control within stadium confines.

The main problem though has always been Golf Links drive when exiting.

If you look at a map the direct feeds into the area where the stadium will be is Saunders/Dean st which is double lane in both directions.Railway Ave is double lane for quite some time. Woolcock (which is double lane) which turns into Boundary that could be turned into double lane as the road is wide enough (it is the main straight of the V8 track after all, Charters Towers Rd (which is tripled lane close to the stadium), The new port access rd and to a lesser extent Ingham Rd as the V8 track (northern side) would be turned into a carpark so a direct feed into that carpark could be used via boundary and ingham rd. one place where you may find bottle necking is if people take the city route and then take bundock i would imagine the Hugh Street/Ingham Rd intersection would be busy but an easy way around that would be to get off Bundock and go around towards the airport and use the roundabout at Meenan to get onto Ingham rd.

There are far more immediate and substantial options upon exiting a stadium in the proposed sites than what there is at 1300.

Last edited:

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

The current stadium is surrounded by suburbia, I really doubt any new stadium could be any worse.

fanfromsingapore

F
I see the current stadium providing access to the following roads:

Thuringowa drive (North)
Herveys Range Road (West)
Ross River Road (East)
Riverview drive (South) - Condon, Rasmussen, Kelso etc.

As well as close access to:

The Ring Road over the river to Douglas, University areas and beyond.
The Ring Road going North with access to the Northern beach suburbs.
The large number of homes in the suburbs surrounding the stadium itself.

Current Stadium.jpg

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
lol you're out of your depth here mate

anyone who regularly attends home games knows you're talking shit

fanfromsingapore

F
lol you're out of your depth here mate

anyone who regularly attends home games knows you're talking shit
Ridicule is sometimes the substitute for someone who is unable to build a solid argument.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Ridicule is sometimes the substitute for someone who is unable to build a solid argument.
Beave has done the hard yards for me mate, it's all there for you whenever you're ready to respond.

People who actually go to the games know he is right.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I usually don't even bother driving to games at 1300 (half the time I'll be drinking anyways).. Although If I do I'd park at one of the churches and try to get back there before it gets too busy, or at Willows. Getting out of the stadium car parks in its current state doesn't look like much fun at all.

chiefcowboy48

First Grader
Reaction score
Can this fanfromsingapore/europe guy be farked off for good? Would be the perfect start for the new forum site.

Thommo Junior

Former Champion
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I doubt that very much.

For someone who claims never to read my posts, you certainly seem to respond to a lot of them.
3 months to think about it since the site went down....but nup i still think your a fn idiot....