Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Can we blame the Townsville flood for our start?

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Not a local, surely the floods have played a role for the lackluster, slow starts. We look so far off the pace compared to alot of teams. Fitness levels and combinations. Or am I making excuses?

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Not a local, surely the floods have played a role for the lackluster, slow starts. We look so far off the pace compared to alot of teams. Fitness levels and combinations. Or am I making excuses?
Making excuses, they're highly paid professional rugby league players.

My understanding is only Granville is still impacted albeit he can probably afford alternative lodging.

Sadly again they read the press & hype and believed it, as did i apparently :-(

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I believe it could impact on their preparation. Science is such an important part of an Athlete's training program. A preparation should be timed to come together on the first match of the season with still some upside in their preparation.

However, for some reason, we allways seems to be behind the eight ball at the start of the season, gradually picking up for a good run home. This year, the floods and the rain may have thrown this preparation right out the window. Other clubs kept working on their schedule and we had some time off.

If we always are slow starters then an interruption to our program could create quite an issue because we are not on a level playing field with other Clubs.

Some Clubs, especially where the Coach might be under the pump, might be keen to have his charges hit their straps very early in the season. This buys them time and gets the baying hounds off their back. The super confident, nerves of steel coach, has belief in his players and the system. ( HE ALWAYS HAS A BACK UP PLAN IN HIS BRIEFCASE AS WELL )

So, it is possible, especially with an ageing forward pack and players who have been out of form, coming back from injury to be struggling at this time.

But gee, you would not want to be hanging on to this as an excuse, but at least, it gives us something for some kind of redemption.

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Blaming the flood is a cop out excuse. Use it if you want to feel a little better about our current situation.

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
If in the last 5 years, we'd jumped out of the gates well, you could MAYBE think this had an effect.

We have consistently been poor starters , though.

Last edited:

Metro

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
No. Losing a Dally M calibre fullback before he had even played a game didn’t help though.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
If you think that they can’t be effected because they are professional paid athletes then I feel sorry for you as you have missed the point that they are human beings.

Has the floods impacted the boys, yes. Is it the whole reason, I don’t think so.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
No.

Rationale for answer. Of the games I have seen, we look similar to last year. Some other teams seem to be playing at a different speed to us. Faster.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
If in the last 5 years, we'd jumped out of the gates well, you could MAYBE think this had an effect.

We have consistently been poor starters , though.
I believe the weather/temp has a real impact on our season start. I mean, preseason in Townsville over xmas? I can't imagine we could train as intensly over the same length of time as the southern teams. I don't suppose we can afford the airconditioned miami dolphins bubble? Might be going cheap as they are relocating.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
It all depends on the mentality of the squad I suppose. I thought we were really good in that regard for quite a few years, now we seem to be folding like a deck of cards at any available opportunity.

I dont know what happened tbh. Green came here and took us from a team that constantly felt sorry for ourselves after every controversial finals loss to one that would have a ridiculous and unwavering amount of self belief. He built the team on no excuses and believing anyone could do the job for the team no matter who it was. Even after a loss I'd watch his press conferences and still feel good about where we were heading. He just seemed so confident and in control. His demeanor has certainly been different in those press conferences this year, which to me is a concern. When a coach starts showing signs of being under pressure the end is usually not too far away (or should I say, not far off).

Last edited:

Bongohead667

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
While his physical performance did drop off a bit last year, JT's leadership is a big loss this year. We just don't have an on field leader to fire the boys up. They've been going through the motions this year with no fire. Who outside of Lolo has really had a top performance so far?

Drama around Matt Scott's retirement issues with the club can't be helping either. He's a bench prop at best these days and apparently he wants a new deal to keep playing after this year. Going to be another Mango situation where the team has to kick him to the curb sadly.

Metro

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
When a coach starts showing signs of being under pressure the end is usually not too far away (or should I say, not far off).
He is under pressure and knows it. He’s only human to show that. Last year he had some leeway for some losses. The previous three years were GF win, prelim and GF. So he had a lot of credit in the bank.

But all of that is gone now. But I hope they can start winning, take the pressure off him, and he can see out his contract as paying it out is such a waste of money.

The start to this year reminds me of when Murray got the boot mid season in 2008 though.

ausmojo

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
It's not solely to blame, perhaps has affected them in some capacity for sure. They are human after all. Word is though that trainings are good, lots of noise and energy. Green is apparently fired up at training sessions, even going as far as yelling at them when they have hands on hips. He is demanding more that's for sure, but do we really have it in us? We really lack and inspiring leader on field. It's the JT brain that we're missing the most, you can see it both with and without the ball. This flows on in to effort, again this is a JT inspiration thing. Someone needs to take this team by the scruff of its neck and lead the way.

Metro

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
And as good a player and bloke that Morgo is, I wonder if his personality is actually suited to being captain. Guy is either unstoppable on the field or has terrible body lanaguage and looks like he is carrying the world on his shoulders. Meninga said on the coverage on Sat that Morgo is a big ‘worrier’. Not a knock on him, it’s just his personality as an individual.

Cooper would have been a good captain for a year or two imo.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
With regards to Morgan being a worrier. That stood out to me in that loss to the Raiders. You could see, that of all our players, he was the only one, deep in thought, surveying and taking in what was happening.

After writing more here, I had to delete it because what stood out where I believe our main issues are and that is our Big names forward pack especially the three in the front row.

One is a club favourite, the other team Vice Captain and the third the Coaches Son. How does one sort that out and avoid family feuds.

Bongohead667

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
With regards to Morgan being a worrier. That stood out to me in that loss to the Raiders. You could see, that of all our players, he was the only one, deep in thought, surveying and taking in what was happening.

After writing more here, I had to delete it because what stood out where I believe our main issues are and that is our Big names forward pack especially the three in the front row.

One is a club favourite, the other team Vice Captain and the third the Coaches Son. How does one sort that out and avoid family feuds.
Painful transition incoming over the next few years.
McLean is much like Tamou was. He'll make meters and is hard to tackle due to his size, but you get no impact unless someone like Lolo did the hitup before him.
Matty Scott should be getting used like polar bear did in 2015. He's at about that point in his career. Come on after 20mins to steady the ship and keep enough experience on the field to keep the team focused.
McGuire is playing as he always does. Solid middle forward who has dropped a bit from a few years ago but was still a good signing. Happy enough with him.
Hess needs to be on the bench for impact like his first 2 years in the squad. We really need that right now. Playing 80mins is just removing his energy so he can't steamroll people.
Has Cooper gotten any worse this year? He seems about the same as last year so not too worried about him atm.
Asiata deserves more game time. He's the only forward other than Lolo that has changed a game for us with big plays.
Jensen and Molo look sharp this year and would handle starting if needed i reckon.
Dunn started off great but seems a bit dull the last few games. He's still young so may need a few weeks back in qcup to recover from the intensity of first grade. Love what he does and hope he's a fixture in our 17 for years to come.
Baptiste has to be on the bench somehow this week to give granville the kick up the arse he needs. Granville needs to put up or f*** off right now. Can't believe how long he's played for us considering his form the last few years.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Having missed the finals in 2018 (being even out of the running for a spot much earlier), we've had a much longer pre-season than other years, so the 'starting slow' excuse cannot be as strong this year, even in spite of the flood. But I would love to be proven wrong with a strong effort against the Storm.