Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Can the cows exploit this rule change being trialled?

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I like to see improvements to the game. If adopted, would this rule change be to our advantage? I think Benny B can kick a reasonable distance. Not sure about Clifford. Quote below.

"NRL coaches are set to consider whether to trial a proposed 20:40 rule at their end-of-season meeting in Sydney on Thursday.

The idea of a 20:40 rule, which would enable the attacking team to win a scrum feed inside their opponents' 40-metre zone by kicking the ball into touch from behind their own 20-metre line, was raised at November’s competition committee meeting.

The rule would operate similar to the 40:20 kick, which was introduced in 1997 and enables a team to win a scrum feed within 20 metres of the opposition's try line from a kick inside their own 40-metre zone.

If adopted, the rule could help open the game up as wingers would potentially need to drop back in anticipation of a kick, meaning there there would be fewer players in the defensive line at that part of the field".

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2018/11/29/nrl-coaches-to-consider-trial-for-rule-proposal/

Last edited:

Charlie124

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
If you'd have asked me how long ago the 40/20 rule was introduced, i would've guessed at about 8 or 9 years...

22 f***ing years!!?!? Christ, i need a scotch and a lie down.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
If you'd have asked me how long ago the 40/20 rule was introduced, i would've guessed at about 8 or 9 years...

22 f***ing years!!?!? Christ, i need a scotch and a lie down.
Yes. I would never have guessed 1997.

One of the issues with the proposed 20/40 rule and the existing 40/20 rule is there is nothing in between. For example a 30/30 rule still involves a kick travelling 40 metres and bouncing before going out.

If all three of Morgan, Barba and Clifford have this we might be able to exploit.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
40/20 was a super league thing. So I would’ve guessed 97. I however wouldn’t have believed that 97 was in fact 22 years ago. Hahaha.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Can't recall Barba doin much kicking at the Bulldogs or Sharks. He was playin busted at the Broncos with an ankle problem, doubt he did much there too

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
40/20
20/40
30/30

We're gonna need some smarter referees

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
40/20 was a super league thing. So I would’ve guessed 97. I however wouldn’t have believed that 97 was in fact 22 years ago. Hahaha.
40/20 was in fact an ARL innovation, and wasn't part of the 97 Super League rules.

When the comps merged again in 98, it was adopted for the new NRL competition

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
40/20 was in fact an ARL innovation, and wasn't part of the 97 Super League rules.

When the comps merged again in 98, it was adopted for the new NRL competition
Could’ve sworn it was super league. But, In saying that, I was 12 or 13 or something, so both the Super League and ARL seasons are blended into one in my memories. So that’s something I’ve learnt today. Didn’t think the ARL were much into the rule changing like I thought Super League was.

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Could’ve sworn it was super league. But, In saying that, I was 12 or 13 or something, so both the Super League and ARL seasons are blended into one in my memories. So that’s something I’ve learnt today. Didn’t think the ARL were much into the rule changing like I thought Super League was.
They also banned striking for the ball from marker, or playing the ball forward if there was no marker

SL introduced this also as well as zero tackle, video ref and scoring team kicks off.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
nah Jax is spot on, 40/20 was an ARL initiative.

SL from memory had the zero tackle, video refs and scorer kicks off....

*jax beat me to it.