Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Benny Barba interview in Justin O'Neill article.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Benny Barba interview is part of the article below.

"Cowboys centre Justin O'Neill admits that being dropped to the Intrust Super Cup last year helped him regain his hunger for the game and ultimately led to him taking up an option to remain at the club in 2019.

The former Maroons centre's form was well below his best in the opening 14 rounds last year and he found himself back playing with the Townsville Blackhawks".

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/21/oneill-getting-dropped-by-cowboys-lit-a-fire-in-my-belly/

Bangkok Cowboy

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
I was hoping that he was going to move on but then again there would not be too many clubs lining up for his signature.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
There was no way in the world he was going to take up an offer elsewhere as it would have been for a far lot less than him staying in NQ, the article is pure lip service. He was good for us in 2015 and 2016 but like a few others regressed a fair bit. This ‘ferrari’ speed that was talked about when he first joined us has barely been seen, I’d liken him more to a Datsun Sunny........... hope he can regain some form because he has a lot of people lining up around him for the centre spot.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
If he can get his confidence back and sort his defence out he'll be right in the mix. Our centre options are better this year but both spots are still up for grabs.

He has definitely had periods of being trash but there have always been a big section of Cowboys fans who never gave him the time of day even when he was very good for us, probably because of his disastrous start. He usually got the blame from fans for any defensive errors on his side, even when it was those inside him who stuffed up and left him stranded.

He was a rock in defense for a couple of years and usually executed in attack when there was a chance. He contributed a lot in our premiership run in 2015, I don't think it's fair when fans act like he has always been crap for us.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
If he can get his confidence back and sort his defence out he'll be right in the mix. Our centre options are better this year but both spots are still up for grabs.

He has definitely had periods of being trash but there have always been a big section of Cowboys fans who never gave him the time of day even when he was very good for us, probably because of his disastrous start. He usually got the blame from fans for any defensive errors on his side, even when it was those inside him who stuffed up and left him stranded.

He was a rock in defense for a couple of years and usually executed in attack when there was a chance. He contributed a lot in our premiership run in 2015, I don't think it's fair when fans act like he has always been crap for us.
a massive problem early on was his hands especially when facing a kicked football either high or on the ground and being that Greeny put him on the wing straight away, being able to defuse a kick is a pretty important trait you need to play that position. He is not a winger imo. He doesn’t seem to posses that athleticism or dexterity required to play the wing position at a high level like Feldty or Singy did. The best thing Greeny did was adapt and shift him to the centres, that’s where he really showed what he is capable of doing.

He has a lot of upsides as you say, he has never shirked work or been afraid to put his face in the fire in defence.

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
There just has not been the pressure on his spot in the past. Young guys like Javid Bowen have not taken their opportunities and forced him out.

Coaching staff would see him as reliable, if not terribly creative. Better the devil you know.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
So where's ET fit in the scheme of things, I thought he was our future centre, haven't heard much talk about him! Instead they roll out the same shit about Juz they have the past 3 years.
In saying that, it's a contract year so he'll probably kill it & get an extension

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
So where's ET fit in the scheme of things, I thought he was our future centre, haven't heard much talk about him! Instead they roll out the same shit about Juz they have the past 3 years.
In saying that, it's a contract year so he'll probably kill it & get an extension

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
The Bully had a story last month on Tuala.

https://outline.com/kvgvV3

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Not going to lie, I was pretty shitty when Juz-e took up his offer. He knew he would've been gone if it wasn't for that. We don't have a ton of Centre depth, which is a bit of a worry. We have Oppa and ET but I really don't know if I'd want GGM or Nene in at Centre.

My worry is GGM now we have Nene. I love the cheeky bugger but I honestly don't see where he fits in unless it's only depth. He has the potential to be the next Addo-Carr and can see him getting picked up elsewhere.

Shorty

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

The first few years Justin was great for us.
You would have to say though the last couple he has been well below first grade standard.
It's a combination of older age and confidence, but he wouldn't get a look in else where....so it should be the case with us.
Last year and the year before he made many crucial errors that put pressure on the team.
He also did it in origin.
His faults are not through lack of trying but he just doesn't cut it anymore, I think the options we have instead are superior.

I truly feel for Justin though because he was never the same after that origin game, he made too many costly errors but he also got completely smashed in a few tackles.
I wish he'd retired like Winters did because I think his body is close to the same shape.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't confidently put our other options ahead of O'Neill just yet, they're all either inconsistent or untested. It's still the weakest position in the squad.

I'd give one spot to Tuala because he has the potential to be a gun and is young, may as well get him in and see how he develops. The other spot is up for grabs for mine, all of the options have glaring weaknesses.

Last edited:

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn't confidently put our other options ahead of O'Neill just yet, they're all either inconsistent or untested. It's still the weakest position in the squad.

I'd give one spot to Tuala because he has the potential to be a gun and is young, may as well get him in and see how he develops. The other spot is up for grabs for mine, all of the options have glaring weaknesses.
I know it gets romanticised here sometimes - but I think the effort that Hampton put in should give him a start. He looks like he's bulked up a bit. I'd have ET and Hampster as the centres for mine.

CC

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Is there any good reason why this article is still on this Forum. Bin it.