Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Ben Barba released

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Mate, I'm a bit of a hard nut & not particularly forgiving, but really...... He could do so much for junior footy.
Kids would love him & imo he could offer so much as an example of what not to do, similar to wendall sailor when he got busted for coke possession. That's probably the difference between NRL & rugby
Nrl = reactive
Rugby = proactive

And I hate rugby (except 91 world cup)

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
There is a big differnce between dabbling in a bit of recreational drugs and laying a hand on a woman. He needs to earn the right to be trusted again before being given any form of responsibility around mentoring/teaching children. Once he rehabilitated and turned his life around THEN he can mentor and teach kids what’s wrong and what’s right.

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Mate, I'm a bit of a hard nut & not particularly forgiving, but really...... He could do so much for junior footy.
Kids would love him & imo he could offer so much as an example of what not to do, similar to wendall sailor when he got busted for coke possession. That's probably the difference between NRL & rugby
Nrl = reactive
Rugby = proactive

????

Sailor was banned from Rugby for 2 years and never to returned to that sport.

League threw him a lifeline post his ban.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Nrl = reactive
Rugby = proactive

There’s not even any evidence of him showing that HE even knows what not to do. If he currently had that understanding, he’d still be a professional footballer. I fail to see anyway that he gets sacked and then reforms his ways over night. He’s been sacked a few times and hasn’t made that change, even knowing it was his last chance.

He is in no way currently capable of being a good example and role model to kids anywhere in any aspect of life. Like I said, in a few years after he’s lived your bog standard life, working hard to make money, he might be in a better place to truely talk about what he should or shouldn’t have done.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
While agree with your sentiment, I just have to point out that NRL players work just as hard, if not harder than us bog average folk.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
While agree with your sentiment, I just have to point out that NRL players work just as hard, if not harder than us bog average folk.
There’s a huge difference between working in a gym or a field all day compared to what most average folk do.

Sure, they work hard, but they also have access to the best recovery systems you’ll get and have no real financial stress.

Compare that to joe blow who might work 13 hours a day, travel 2 hours each way to work leaving a whole 7 hours to relax/recover before doing it again.

I know which one I’d consider harder.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I suspect that the vast majority of people could not handle the workload of an NRL player.

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
I disagree. I suspect that the vast majority of people could not handle the workload of an NRL player.
Make no mistake, their pre seasons are torturous. However that being said, with sport science so pertinent now, their physical workload throughout the season outside of games isn’t really that big. I think the original point Mark was making is that footballers live a privileged life getting paid a ton of money to do something that many pay to do in their spare time. Some footballers (usually younger blokes) take that for granted. Being threatened with losing this opportunity and going into the normal work force is often the rocket those types of blokes need to change their outlook. Seen a couple of great pieces in recent times on Cam Munster and Jackson Hastings with regards to this. Munster speaks about his earlier days at the Storm where he was a bit of a goofball and didn’t take his career as serious as he should have, when Bellamy blasted him in front of everyone threatening to piss all over this opportunity and banish him back to digging holes for a living. Hastings spoke about last year being banished back to NSW Cup with Blacktown. Initially he thought the position he was in (still full time NRL player earning great money) couldn’t get any worse. That was until he started training with Blacktown in the evenings with blokes who were coming off 12 hour days concreting. Both Hastings and Munster attribute these moments as career defining, and where their perspective on life changed.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
So it's ok to beat your wife and be a truck driver, but not a rugby league player. On the social scale, apart from the money, I don't see a difference. So, personal morality is a sliding scale depending how much money you earn. It's kind of an insult to truck drivers. The social justice courts really are barbaric. Able to ruin lives far more effectively than mere prison. At least prison has an end date. This whole thing's a moral minefield, which is why nobody can get it right.

Heart

Junior
Reaction score
Come on. Being an NRL player is hard. The mental stress of having to deliver a level of performance under the scrutiny of so many must be intense.

It also requires a pretty extreme level of fitness.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
The mental stress of having to deliver a level of performance under the scrutiny of so many must be intense.
Yes, but that is entirely manufactured. We require perfect beings only, in all things and it's impossible; and one flaw in any facet ends your life instantly and forever in all things. It's pathetic. I swear that if Ivan Milat recommended sunscreen, most brain-dead Australian sheeple would be burnt to a crisp by Tuesday.

Or, to put it another way: History is a tragedy not a morality tale.
Or, as Paul Wonder and Stevie McCartney said, "There is good and bad in everyone..."

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
There is a big differnce between dabbling in a bit of recreational drugs and laying a hand on a woman. He needs to earn the right to be trusted again before being given any form of responsibility around mentoring/teaching children. Once he rehabilitated and turned his life around THEN he can mentor and teach kids what’s wrong and what’s right.
And he gets that how, by driving trucks, yeah right. He'll get heaps of mentoring from a business owner with deadlines to meet. The consensus here (mackay) is that she played her part in the initial blowup, now that doesnt excuse him, but it also doesnt mean that he couldn't have positive influence on young indigenous kids playing footy.

????

Sailor was banned from Rugby for 2 years and never to returned to that sport.

League threw him a lifeline post his ban.
My understanding is he could've, but chose to return to league.

There’s not even any evidence of him showing that HE even knows what not to do. If he currently had that understanding, he’d still be a professional footballer. I fail to see anyway that he gets sacked and then reforms his ways over night. He’s been sacked a few times and hasn’t made that change, even knowing it was his last chance.

He is in no way currently capable of being a good example and role model to kids anywhere in any aspect of life. Like I said, in a few years after he’s lived your bog standard life, working hard to make money, he might be in a better place to truely talk about what he should or shouldn’t have done.
Well actually there is, he spent 2yrs overseas without incident & I'd bet my left nut, that if the powers to be at the cowboys thought he hadnt learnt, then he wouldn't have been signed in the first place. Sure he has history but heaven help us all if we're to be judged on past deeds.

As for your second point, he's not a pedo, he lost his shit at his missus after being on the drink for 7hrs. There is no evidence to suggest he wouldnt be good in a mentoring role for indigenous kids. I wasnt suggesting he be let loose on them, but with guidance it may have been redemptive for him

They work harder than this bog average bloke, i know that

There’s a huge difference between working in a gym or a field all day compared to what most average folk do.

Sure, they work hard, but they also have access to the best recovery systems you’ll get and have no real financial stress.

Compare that to joe blow who might work 13 hours a day, travel 2 hours each way to work leaving a whole 7 hours to relax/recover before doing it again.

I know which one I’d consider harder.
Dont forget having someone tell them what to eat, when to sleep, exercise........
Add to that the constant media scrutiny & basically being accosted by the public every time they step outside & being baited by nobheads & then getting videoed when they tell people to fuk off & leave them alone.
Then they're competing for selection, trying to secure a starting spot, sponsors, impress the coach, live up to fan expectations, the stress with contract negotiations........the list goes on........yeah they've got it easy...bullshit, i wouldn't & couldn't do it.
Depression among players is pretty well documented

I'm happy with my anonymous life, i can go to the pub, get pissed, say & bullshit & nobody batters an eye (i do get the obligatory scolding from swmbo tho )

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
And he gets that how, by driving trucks, yeah right. He'll get heaps of mentoring from a business owner with deadlines to meet. The consensus here (mackay) is that she played her part in the initial blowup, now that doesnt excuse him, but it also doesnt mean that he couldn't have positive influence on young indigenous kids playing footy.

Well actually there is, he spent 2yrs overseas without incident & I'd bet my left nut, that if the powers to be at the cowboys thought he hadnt learnt, then he wouldn't have been signed in the first place. Sure he has history but heaven help us all if we're to be judged on past deeds.

As for your second point, he's not a pedo, he lost his shit at his missus after being on the drink for 7hrs. There is no evidence to suggest he wouldnt be good in a mentoring role for indigenous kids. I wasnt suggesting he be let loose on them, but with guidance it may have been redemptive for him
It’s not driving trucks that’ll teach him a lesson. It’s everything he loses that puts him in this position that will. The consequences are no longer as minuscule as having to leave Australia and play over in England to make a living. They’re now tangible as he now has to make huge changes to the way he lives his life in accordance with his new salary and status.

You’ve brought up numerous times now about the pure conjecture of his missus behaviour in the lead up to the fight. I don’t care if he was called every single name under the son, unless it is in self defence of himself or another, it is NEVER okay to lay hands on a women. He has form to this with a prior incident a few years ago.

He’s in the position he is today because of bad decision after bad decision, and you want him to mentor kids when he can’t even practice what he’d be teaching himself? I’m sorry but I can safely say that i’d be in the majority in saying that we’d need to see major signs of rehabilitation before he assumes any sort of position where he’s a role model for kids.

Spiral

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Depression among players is pretty well documented
The pressure on fringe first-graders (who make up a hefty chunk of the wider NRL playing group) must be incredible. They have such a short window of time in their life to make this thing work and risk serious injury to themselves literally every game trying to do it. Once they hit that 25+ year old mark and they still haven’t cracked it, time’s basically up, and they wind up in Barba’s position with some sort of lifelong knee or back issue to go along with it. The lucky ones have spent quality time during their playing days on a degree or a trade and can make something of themselves post-career, but plenty wouldn’t have given it much thought while they were playing. Thankfully the NRL’s gotten much smarter about that in the last decade or so, making it mandatory to work or study for the young kids coming up.

You have to respect what these guys put themselves through chasing a dream that a minuscule fraction of people get to live out. Not everyone in the NRL is a superstar on $1m a year and of course the pressure to be like those stars and provide for families must be immense. Knowing it can all be taken away in an instant.

Thinking about the journeymen who’ve had to battle so hard for everything they’ve gotten out of this game only to have it ended by injury or bad luck, makes the fact that Ben Barba, with all the skill and talent in the world, has thrown it away like this even more disappointing.

Give it 10, 15, 20 years when most people have forgotten his name and he’s watching the next generation of superstars coming through, and Barba will truly realise just how much he f****d up during his career and what could have been. Hope he can make something of himself for his family’s sake.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
It’s not driving trucks that’ll teach him a lesson. It’s everything he loses that puts him in this position that will. The consequences are no longer as minuscule as having to leave Australia and play over in England to make a living. They’re now tangible as he now has to make huge changes to the way he lives his life in accordance with his new salary and status.

You’ve brought up numerous times now about the pure conjecture of his missus behaviour in the lead up to the fight. I don’t care if he was called every single name under the son, unless it is in self defence of himself or another, it is NEVER okay to lay hands on a women. He has form to this with a prior incident a few years ago.

He’s in the position he is today because of bad decision after bad decision, and you want him to mentor kids when he can’t even practice what he’d be teaching himself? I’m sorry but I can safely say that i’d be in the majority in saying that we’d need to see major signs of rehabilitation before he assumes any sort of position where he’s a role model for kids.

I have been following this on the sideline for a while and wasn't gonna say anything as Fanboy has been interjecting respectfully re: shared fault. Anyhow it keeps going. I fully agree with MPW_Fanboy. He had zero reason to get physical. Totally unacceptable and is something as a society we are trying to remove, not just from footy. I grew up in Mackay and I'd hate to think that is the 'consensus' there.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I do not in any way shape or form condone DV, male or female. I also think the club has done the right thing both in sacking Barba and supporting him and his family.

I made the point that NRL players work hard and Barba hasn't given up an 'easy' life to take on hard work for the first time in his life.

Heart

Junior
Reaction score
How does Barba’s family need support? Barba has had years of making a huge income. He should be better placed than most to handle being sacked.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Go and have a chat with families that have to deal with DV. You'll soon find out, money doesn't help.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I think it's pretty harsh that the life ban extends to park football. Not condoning his actions but does this mean every bloke who is charged with DV in Mackay isn't allowed to play footy anymore? I don't believe Ben has even been charged yet. Will be interested when this is all said and done if this is a fair punishment and if this will be the norm moving forward.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I think it's pretty harsh that the life ban extends to park football. Not condoning his actions but does this mean every bloke who is charged with DV in Mackay isn't allowed to play footy anymore? I don't believe Ben has even been charged yet. Will be interested when this is all said and done if this is a fair punishment and if this will be the norm moving forward.
Apparently.
I was talking to Steve Jackson about this last week & he was a bit annoyed that it applied to club footy.
Magpies here would have considered throwing him a lifeline, he's never playing high level again, but he could've had some local involvement. Jacko has a fair bit to do with the juniors here & he even said he'd be great with the juniors and would of tried to get him involved.
Who knows may still happen down the track