Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Babinda Boulders. Devil's Pool. Another drowning.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly why the Babinda boulders are so dangerous?

An 18 year old has recently (yesterday?) become the 17th drowning victim at these rock pools since the 1950's. I remember my cousins telling me about this place when I was a kid. The youtube clip below (part one of two) shows someone diving underwater. It looks like branches and logs located in the passages.

Last edited:

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
After rain, the Chute, the Washing Machine and Devils Pool are super dangerous.

Slippery rocks with fast flowing water and lots of dangerous undertow and rocks.

Generally locals don't go near it when it's like this, and the majority of drownings have been over confident tourists.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
Thank you.

I gather that people must drown after they get caught in the underwater tight passages or branches? As a child, my cousins told me that people used to get sucked in to deep underwater chambers. And never seen again. Not sure if that is true.

One article suggested the washing machine has lots of aerated, bubbly water with no buoyancy. I can appreciate that. I got into difficulty on a five day rafting trip one time. I probably would have drowned if not for the life jacket.

Last edited:

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Some people cannot swim well.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
This sounds like a lecture from my old headmaster. He always told us that messing around with Babinda's Boulders would land us in trouble and that only death awaited any foul enough to delve intae the Devil's Pool!

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Prince Ernst- Breaking News, missing teens at Devils Pool
You seen this??
*Edit-might be what your thread is about

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Prince Ernst- Breaking News, missing teens at Devils Pool
You seen this??
*Edit-might be what your thread is about
f*** me.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Rocks that have been cavitied out by the churning water. People get sucked under, into a cavity and can't get out because of the force of the water.