Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Antonio Winterstein Retires

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
He's had some mental demons of late, both on & off the field, wish him all the best, he's been a great servant of the Cowboys. Probably deserves a swansong game, but when the time is due, it's due

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Wow, that sucks for him to go out like that. He still ran hard on those kick returns and was putting up good metres the last couple of weeks despite his knee being shot.

Joined in 2011 during the big rebuild, helped the club win a premiership and captained Samoa while he was here. A great clubman who will always be remembered by Cowboys fans.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Horrible news, under valued as a contributer to our success over the past few years. Best of luck with the future Winters.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Sad news. Probably explains his severe drop in pace this year. Hope he kills it in whatever he does in life after footy.

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Great for us for a long time, really influential player in our finals runs.

Great career and great person

GunsUp42

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Sudden and surprising news. Antonio has always been one of my all time favourite Cowboys players. Was signed to play in the centres and never got the chance which is a shame because I think he would have excelled there. Never complained about playing on the wing and gave it everything he had week in and week out. Had some poor games like any player but they were never due to a lack off effort or poor attitude. He consistently took the hard runs getting us out of our own end, which served us brilliantly for a long time.

Hopefully the club keeps him on is some capacity as he is the exact type of person you would love to have around the team to show the younger crop of players the level of professionalism needed to be a consistent first grade player.

Thanks for the memories and all you've done for the Cowboys Tones!

CairnsCow

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Winters, solid, get on with the job, a great finisher, a team player. One of the best defensive pairings with Linnet.
214 games, an obvious credit to a great footy player.
2009 his first NRL game playing for the Broncos playing against the Cowboys scoring on debut the team he would inevitably call home.
2015 Winterstein finished the season as the Cowboys' top tryscorer, with a career-high 16 tries.
All the best Winters, thanks mate.

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I remember mostly how he handled the death of his family member.

He came out in the weeks and months following and continued to give his all for the club. Like playing footy was part of his healing process after losing a loved one.

Also, he was a genuine hard man. Often when an opposition player was looking to intimidate our team, it was Winterstein who took the hard run into such a player or went looking to make the tough tackle. Just to let the opposition know our team was not to be messed with.

As a valued member of our premiership side, his place in history is well assured. Best of luck in retirement Antonio!

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Showed some real passion for the club there. Makes me a bit disappointed in myself for criticizing some of his recent form tbh. You can't fault his effort and his name will always be etched into our history for being apart of that 2015 side. Thanks for the memories, Tones!

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Makes me a bit disappointed in myself for criticizing some of his recent form tbh
Some of the comments about our club legends I have seen this season have been pretty distasteful. Same thing occurred during Matt Bowen's final year.

It has been the kind of comments not far removed from what you could see on LU - that is almost hateful, trolling-like comments. Extremely disappointing to read.

North Queensland supporters need to be more respectful at times, and stick up for their players even when they are not performing at their best.

Glad to see you personally have sought introspection on this occasion.

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Disappointed for Tones. He’s always been one of my favourite Cowboys. He’ll always be a 2015 grand final winner though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
As a value for money player you could only dream of having a team full of players like Tones. Always gave his all. Best of luck for your future endeavours Antonio.