Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2020 Under 20s/18s/16s

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Queensland Under 18 Emerging Origin squad for 2020
Jorja Brinums
Wed 18 Dec 2019, 04:57 PM

Queensland Rugby League has released the Queensland Under 18 Emerging Origin squad for 2020.

Thirty-four of the state’s most talented teenagers, earmarked as possible future Queensland Maroons, have been selected in the squad.

Many were involved in the QRL Statewide Competitions this year. Reece Walsh, Ediq Ambrosyev and Brendan Piakura were part of the winning Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup Tweed Seagulls team that went on to win the national title.

Australian Schoolboys Jack Howarth and Sam Walker, who has since been signed by Sydney Roosters, are also in the squad. And a number of the players who made the cut had Queensland Under 16 honours in 2019, including Ragarive Wavik, Keanu Wright-Dunrobin, Shaun Packer, John Radel and Jeremia Nanai.

The squad will get together for a camp, supported by the Queensland Academy of Sport, at the Sunshine Coast from January 15-17.

The players, under coach Kurt Richards and assistant coaches Brad Davis and Corey Parker, will be exposed to key elements of the Maroons Emerging Origin Program with a focus on preparation, consistency and resilience.

QRL game development and high performance manager Joe McDermott said the camp was important to expose future elite talent to the Maroons culture.

"It's important, too, for us to identify and develop the next group of leaders - that will help ensure success into the future," McDermott said.

"And for the group to bond. Mates will always step up for mates."

Queensland Emerging Origin Under 18 squad
Byron Parnell (South Sydney Juniors)
Blake Cesari (Highfields)
Keegan Vandenberg (Redcliffe Dolphins)
Xavier Savage (Easts Tigers)
Reece Walsh (Tweed Seagulls)
Grand Hagai (Wynnum Manly Seagulls)
Selwyn Cobbo (Sunshine Coast Falcons)
Jayden Hunt (Norths Devils)
Sam Walker (Ipswich Jets)
Ragarive Wavik (Brothers Townsville)
Ezra Mam (Souths Magpies Acacia Ridge)
Peyton Jenkins (Brothers Rockhampton)
Keanu Wright-Dunrobin (Dalby Devils)
Brendan Piakura (Tweed Seagulls)
Jeremia Nanai (Western Lions)
Jack Howarth (Easts Tigers)
Israel Higgins (Currumbin Eagles)
Jayden Clarkson (Redlands)
Caleb Esera (Souths Logan Magpies)
Brocco Uhrle (Norths Devils)
Xavier Va'a (Highfields)
Riley Hall (Faaifern Bombers)
Abai Chatfield-Mooka (Centrals ASA)
Isaiah Vailalo (Centrals ASA)
Samuel Shannon (Burleigh Bears)
Braythen Porter (Norths Devils)
Jake Baigrie (Yeppoon)
John Radel (Wests Brisbane)
Lachlan Adamson (Nerang Roosters)
Shaun Packer (Souths Suburbs Toowoomba)
Ediq Ambrosyev (Tweed Seagulls)
Jake Bourke (Townsville Blackhawks)
Damon Somerville (Burleigh Bears)
Tyrone Sa'U (Parramatta Eels)

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/12/18/queensland-under-18-emerging-origin-squad-for-2020/

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Queensland Under 20 Emerging Origin squad for 2020
Colleen Edwards
Thu 19 Dec 2019, 05:32 PM

Queensland Rugby League has named 28 players to be part of this year’s Queensland Under 20 Emerging Origin squad for 2020.

The squad features some exciting young talents, with four players making their NRL debuts this past season - Tanah Boyd (Gold Coast Titans), Xavier Coates (Brisbane Broncos), Tom Dearden (Brisbane Broncos) and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Melbourne Storm).

Coates was also QRL's XXXX Representative Player of the Year, Hamiso Tabuai–Fidow was the joint winner of the Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup Player of the Year award and Tom Gilbert was the Intrust Super Cup Rookie of the Year.

The squad will meet for their camp, supported by the Queensland Academy of Sport, on the Sunshine Coast in late January.

QRL game development and high performance manager Joe McDermott said gathering the players in a group environment such as this was vital to ensure the next crop of players knew not only how to fulfil their roles in a team through effective preparation, but also helped to educate them on what it meant to represent Queensland.

“These camps are a key way for us to help foster team bonding where the players can create mateship which will last throughout their playing days and beyond,” McDermott said.

“We as the QRL and all the staff involved in the camps work hard to make sure the Maroons culture is ingrained in future talent.”

The squad will be put through their paces by coach Ben Woolf, who has seen firsthand what many of the players can do, including Juwan Compain, Ioane Seiuli and Coates who he coached the Tweed Seagulls' Intrust Super Cup team this past year.

Queensland Under 20 Emerging Origin squad
Daejarn Asi (North Queensland Cowboys)
Dan Atkinson (Melbourne Storm)
Michael Bell (North Queensland Cowboys)
Tanah Boyd (Gold Coast Titans)
Jack Bowyer (Melbourne Storm)
Geordie Brand (Sydney Roosters)
Ethan Bullemor (Brisbane Broncos)
Xavier Coates (Brisbane Broncos)
Juwan Compain (Gold Coast Titans)
Ben Condon (North Queensland Cowboys)
Tom Dearden (Brisbane Broncos)
Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Melbourne Storm)
Tom Gilbert (North Queensland Cowboys)
Alofi Khan-Pereira (Gold Coast Titans)
Heilum Luki (North Queensland Cowboys)
Trent Loiero (Melbourne Storm)
Jack Martin (Brisbane Broncos)
Tesi Niu (Brisbane Broncos)
Cory Paix (Brisbane Broncos)
Tristan Powell (Gold Coast Titans)
Riley Price (North Queensland Cowboys)
Jake Simpkin (Wests Tigers)
Jarrett Subloo (Canberra Raiders)
Ioane Seiuli (Gold Coast Titans)
Garrett Smith (North Queensland Cowboys)
Hamiso Tabuai–Fidow (North Queensland Cowboys)

Adrian Trevilyan (Canberra Raiders)
Sebastian Winters-Chang (Canterbury Bulldogs)

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/12/19/queensland-under-20-emerging-origin-squad-for-2020/

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Queensland Under 20 Emerging Origin squad for 2020
Colleen Edwards
Thu 19 Dec 2019, 05:32 PM

Queensland Rugby League has named 28 players to be part of this year’s Queensland Under 20 Emerging Origin squad for 2020.

The squad features some exciting young talents, with four players making their NRL debuts this past season - Tanah Boyd (Gold Coast Titans), Xavier Coates (Brisbane Broncos), Tom Dearden (Brisbane Broncos) and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Melbourne Storm).

Coates was also QRL's XXXX Representative Player of the Year, Hamiso Tabuai–Fidow was the joint winner of the Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup Player of the Year award and Tom Gilbert was the Intrust Super Cup Rookie of the Year.

The squad will meet for their camp, supported by the Queensland Academy of Sport, on the Sunshine Coast in late January.

QRL game development and high performance manager Joe McDermott said gathering the players in a group environment such as this was vital to ensure the next crop of players knew not only how to fulfil their roles in a team through effective preparation, but also helped to educate them on what it meant to represent Queensland.

“These camps are a key way for us to help foster team bonding where the players can create mateship which will last throughout their playing days and beyond,” McDermott said.

“We as the QRL and all the staff involved in the camps work hard to make sure the Maroons culture is ingrained in future talent.”

The squad will be put through their paces by coach Ben Woolf, who has seen firsthand what many of the players can do, including Juwan Compain, Ioane Seiuli and Coates who he coached the Tweed Seagulls' Intrust Super Cup team this past year.

Queensland Under 20 Emerging Origin squad
Daejarn Asi (North Queensland Cowboys)
Dan Atkinson (Melbourne Storm)
Michael Bell (North Queensland Cowboys)
Tanah Boyd (Gold Coast Titans)
Jack Bowyer (Melbourne Storm)
Geordie Brand (Sydney Roosters)
Ethan Bullemor (Brisbane Broncos)
Xavier Coates (Brisbane Broncos)
Juwan Compain (Gold Coast Titans)
Ben Condon (North Queensland Cowboys)
Tom Dearden (Brisbane Broncos)
Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Melbourne Storm)
Tom Gilbert (North Queensland Cowboys)
Alofi Khan-Pereira (Gold Coast Titans)
Heilum Luki (North Queensland Cowboys)
Trent Loiero (Melbourne Storm)
Jack Martin (Brisbane Broncos)
Tesi Niu (Brisbane Broncos)
Cory Paix (Brisbane Broncos)
Tristan Powell (Gold Coast Titans)
Riley Price (North Queensland Cowboys)
Jake Simpkin (Wests Tigers)
Jarrett Subloo (Canberra Raiders)
Ioane Seiuli (Gold Coast Titans)
Garrett Smith (North Queensland Cowboys)
Hamiso Tabuai–Fidow (North Queensland Cowboys)

Adrian Trevilyan (Canberra Raiders)
Sebastian Winters-Chang (Canterbury Bulldogs)

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/12/19/queensland-under-20-emerging-origin-squad-for-2020/
2/7's are attached to our club. Not a bad stat.

NSW_Cowboy

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Those are some promising players coming through.

Really looking forward to seeing Hammer destroy QCUP next year.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Junior Cowboys take part in u18s Qld Emerging Origin camp
Cowboys.com.au
Fri 17 Jan 2020, 10:12 AM

Four North Queensland Toyota Cowboys junior contracted players have this week taken part in the Queensland Emerging Origin under 18s camp on the Sunshine Coast.

Jeremiah Nanai, Braythen Porter, Jake Bourke and Ragarive Wavik were all invited to the three-day camp run by head coach Kurt Richards and assistant Corey Parker.

Photos: Jorja Brinums/QRL

Jeremiah Nanai

Jeremiah Nanai

Braythen Porter

Braythen Porter

Jake Bourke

Jake Bourke

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2020/01/17/cowboys-junior-contracted-players-take-part-in-u18s-qld-emerging-origin-camp/

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Ragarive Wavik is a PNG prodigy on the rise
SAM FLANAGAN, Townsville Bulletin
January 26, 2020 8:21pm

When a sporting junior shows elite talent, their first test of character arrives when they’re asked to step up and compete against older opposition.
Ragarive Wavik has done it since day one.

The 16-year-old has continued to thrive since his initial acid test, culminating in his selection in the Emerging Maroons under-18 squad.

The fleet-footed star can play either fullback or halfback, making him a valuable commodity in any side.

But it’s Ragarive’s humble beginning which is driving his career to new heights.

Born in Port Moresby, Ragarive and his family moved around before settling in Brisbane.

It was in the state’s capital he began his footy journey.

“One of my aunties decided to put me in a junior rugby league club,” Ragarive said.

“I started in under-6s but they thought I was a bit older so I started under-9s when I was six.”

Not deterred by competing against boys three year’s older, Ragarive quickly grew a deep passion for the sport.

“I held my own, I didn’t really think about it too much,” he said.

“I didn’t notice they were bigger because when you’re that young you’re just out there playing.

“I just fell in love with the sport and I ended up being pretty good at it. I just kept playing and playing.”

Ragarive quickly blossomed into a strike weapon, with his league-mad family loving every bit of his development.

“Everyone came down to watch and it was especially good because I was scoring four, five tries a game and my whole family would get around me.

“It just motivated me more to keep playing.”

Ragarive found himself in a Townsville Brothers jersey by under-12s after his Mum relocated the family north for a fresh start.

For Ragarive, the move meant he was now living in the same city as his childhood hero Johnathan Thurston.

“He was a very smart player, so I like to go off what he does.

“I try to listen to some press conferences or any advice he gives out in public.”

In his teenage years, Ragarive’s speed, skill and agility transferred seamlessly to touch football.

It was in this sport he discovered the name Kalyn Ponga, the player Ragarive nominated as having the biggest influence on his game.

“I grew up watching his touch and some of his union as well.

“I got the chance to meet him actually, he came to Townsville and he watched a couple of my games and he gave me some advice.

“That hit me to be honest, it made me realise I can do it.”

The Kirwan State High School student is driven by a desire to succeed, a fire which was fuelled further by last year’s state final.

“I made a wrong decision, I was in the moment and pressure got to me,” he said.

“I did a really poor kick when we were up by four. They ended up catching it on the full and worked their way down the field and scored, kicked the goal and won.

“That taught me to actually think things through … I don’t want to let myself or my teammates down.”

Currently on a junior contract with the Cowboys, Ragarive said he’d continue to work hard to ensure his best days were ahead of him.

“A schoolmate of mine, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, he’s on a rookie contract with the Cowboys and I want to follow him and what he’s doing.”

Though there’s an ambition which stands above all else for this smiling assassin.

“I’d love to wear the Kumuls jersey. Me and my family are all from Port Moresby … it would be really good just to pull on that jersey for my country.

“A lot of my family would show up, it would be a really proud moment for me

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/ragarive-wavik-is-a-png-prodigy-on-the-rise/news-story/ba71ebad88657f540b9bd9b9a30d1210

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
GENERATION NEXT: Young Blackhawks playmaker Jake Bourke is learning from the legends
SAM FLANAGAN, Townsville Bulletin
January 28, 2020 1:00am

Not everyone is built for leadership. But not everyone is built like Jake Bourke.

A methodical game-manager, Jake has been a commander on the field for as long as he can remember.

He says he enjoys the challenge that leadership brings.

“I think that the boys can look up to someone like me when I’m on the field,” Jake said.

“Taking that leadership role is something that comes naturally to me and communication is a big part of that.

“Talking on the field is something that comes naturally again and it’s probably easier for me than others.”

Jake said he had taken the leadership qualities of two former State of Origin halves to build his own style around.

Unsurprisingly Johnathan Thurston was one, while the other is the ultimate competitor from south of the border.

“James Maloney’s game management when he was playing in the NRL was awesome,” he said.

“The way he plays his footy I really enjoy. He competes on every play and I try to do the same thing.”

The 17-year-old said his competitiveness was learned, but now that he’d found that aspect to his game it will only grow more intense from here on out.

“I look back now on all the hard work I’ve put in and I’m not going waste it. I just want to win everything.”

Picked in the Emerging Maroons under-18 squad, Jake won’t be the first in his family to wear Maroon if he’s selected in the final 17.

His father Andrew Bourke played for Queensland in rugby union and Jake said his father’s influence and advice had been telling for his career.

“I never saw him play, but I would say he’s my footy inspiration.

“He’s the one I got all my talents off.

“He sort of fell away from it a bit. I think he just burnt out and stopped playing footy.

“He talks to me about that sort of stuff. He knows when I’m flat.

“He always tells me to work hard but he knows when I’m feeling flat and he’ll talk to me about it and help me through.

“Mum and Dad have sacrificed a lot and I’ll always thank them for that.”

The Centrals ASA product said knowing his old man had played at the highest level made his dream seem more realistic.

It’s a dream that could come to fruition if he’s selected for the under-18 Maroons against New South Wales this year.

“It would mean a lot. One of my main goals this year is to make that Origin squad. It would be a dream come true.”

Jake said his experience at the Maroons’ camp fuelled his ambition to represent Queensland even more.

The Ignatius Park graduate, who played a central role in guiding the school to last year’s final, said he soaked in as much as he could over the three days.

“Getting trained by someone like Kevvie Walters was really cool. I was able to learn things I can bring back here.

“The speeches they gave us were great. It was really inspirational to see how emotional they got when they were talking about what it means to play for the Maroons.” With the carrot of a professional rugby league career getting closer, Jake’s sporting journey could have turned out differently.

“I played a year of soccer and then I went to rugby league when I was eight.

“I don’t think Mum let me play footy at the start, but then she let me after my year in soccer … I was happy to go to footy (laughs).”

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/generation-next-young-blackhawks-playmaker-jake-bourke-is-learning-from-the-legends/news-story/8285b37f5cd10b664124ceb0647dc207

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
“James Maloney’s game management when he was playing in the NRL was awesome,” he said.

“The way he plays his footy I really enjoy. He competes on every play and I try to do the same thing.”

I hope he doesn't model his defence around Failoney's.