Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2020 Season suspended indefinitely

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Interesting article by Andrew Webster in the SMH today about how the clubs were pretty greedy in 2015 in getting the cap raised to $10m/year. Basically they held John Grant over a barrel. This amount just wasn’t sustainable.

Time to cough up that money for season memberships NQ Cowboys or people will be making complaints to the ACCC. The club has no right to hold the money of ordinary people in this time when they can’t deliver the product.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Interesting article by Andrew Webster in the SMH today about how the clubs were pretty greedy in 2015 in getting the cap raised to $10m/year. Basically they held John Grant over a barrel. This amount just wasn’t sustainable.

Time to cough up that money for season memberships NQ Cowboys or people will be making complaints to the ACCC. The club has no right to hold the money of ordinary people in this time when they can’t deliver the product.
FMD, wait until there is some clarity on the horizon. If they can salvage some sort of season later in the year, then there’s no point returning everyone’s money right now and then have to go through all the admin bullshit of starting up memberships again for a revised comp and schedule.

There’s a lot worse shit going on at the moment in the world than the club not returning membership money in the first week of the comp being suspended.

If the don’t return all the money but instead offered discounted season tickets for the next few years where you recoup your lost money from
this year over an extended period, this IMO is a far better outcome for all involved. Do you want the football club to survive after all of this or a get your couple of hundred bucks back and see the club fold?

Last edited:

pslbheth

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
According to media reports players will be asked to take a 87% pay cut if the season doesn't play any more games.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-players-asked-to-take-87-percent-pay-cut/69565e11-b80d-448e-a5d9-52d0f9ef029c

That is shockingly bad. To think the game was so hand-to-mouth that they can't even meet a quarter of their obligations to players is horrendous.

Blokes on 100-300k will make less than minimum wage ffs
Yeah i hate to see anyone loose their income its not nice at all, I guess the only positive that can be drawn from all this is, at least all the self entitled fookwits that we have heard from during this crisis will get a taste of the real world. quite possibly pull a few managers heads in too, imagine being on 5% of sweet f@#k all, that's gotta hurt

pslbheth

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
FMD, wait until there is some clarity on the horizon. If they can salvage some sort of season later in the year, then there’s no point returning everyone’s money right now and then have to go through all the admin bullshit of starting up memberships again for a revised comp and schedule.

There’s a lot worse shit going on at the moment in the world than the club not returning membership money in the first week of the comp being suspended.

If the don’t return all the money bug instead offered discounted season tickets for the next few years where you recoup your lost money from
this year, this IMO is a far better outcome for all involved. Do you want the football club to survive after all of this or a get your couple of hundred bucks back and see the club fold?
That would largely depend on someones circumstances I guess, if they still had a job and needed to the money to pay bills etc

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score

If the don’t return all the money bug instead offered discounted season tickets for the next few years where you recoup your lost money from
this year, this IMO is a far better outcome for all involved. Do you want the football club to survive after all of this or a get your couple of hundred bucks back and see the club fold?
After reading more and more about how greedy the clubs and players have been - basically maxing out the game from the broadcast deal - I think I’d like to see the whole comp and clubs go up in flames to be honest.

I think they have an obligation to give membership money back to ordinary people in this time.

They need to do a new membership drive for any revised season. And people can determine if they want a membership at that stage. Holding peoples’ money like they are is unconscionable in my opinion.

Last edited:

pslbheth

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
After reading more and more about how greedy the clubs and players have been - basically maxing out the game from the broadcast deal - I think I’d like to see the whole comp and clubs go up in flames to be honest.

I think they have an obligation to give membership money back to ordinary people in this time.
Pretty harsh but something has to be done, can you blame the players? i mean without them we don't have a game, the NRL was spending money all over the place so i guess the players just wanted their share, i don't know if you can portion all the blame on them

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

again, wait until there is some clarity to the future of the 2020 season before stamping your feet. If the comp restarts in July and they can salvage 7-8 more home games and have a shortened comp that goes into November or december, then there is no point returning everyone’s money right now and then have to start the admin bullshit all over again for people to get memberships.

Let the dust settle a bit,I’m sure the club will do everything they can to square up with the fans over time as the future of 2020 evolves.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Did the players take up all the broadcast deal?
My rough maths sees player wages 40%.

What they do on tv does get that tv deal-they're living up to their end of bargain.

Tunza

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Let the dust settle a bit,I’m sure the club will do everything they can to square up with the fans over time as the future of 2020 evolves.
Agree. We also have to remember that the staffing at clubs has been drastically cut. Resolving memberships and pre-purchased tickets might not be the highest priority this week, but I'm confident they will deal with it soon.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
As I've said before, at the very least they need to freeze the direct debits.
Whilst I can appreciate the extreme circumstances & duress the club is under, they have been piss poor in their communication regarding membership. The only email I've received indicated that direct debits would continue.
I agree with @Metro on this, if you've lost your job then that money may become critical in coming days & weeks.
Saying that now they don't have the staff to deal with is head in the sand shit.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
As I've said before, at the very least they need to freeze the direct debits.
Whilst I can appreciate the extreme circumstances & duress the club is under, they have been piss poor in their communication regarding membership. The only email I've received indicated that direct debits would continue.
I agree with @Metro on this, if you've lost your job then that money may become critical in coming days & weeks.
Saying that now they don't have the staff to deal with is head in the sand shit.

100%. The club needs to get on the front foot about this. It’s pathetic.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
According to media reports players will be asked to take a 87% pay cut if the season doesn't play any more games.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-players-asked-to-take-87-percent-pay-cut/69565e11-b80d-448e-a5d9-52d0f9ef029c

That is shockingly bad. To think the game was so hand-to-mouth that they can't even meet a quarter of their obligations to players is horrendous.

Blokes on 100-300k will make less than minimum wage ffs
I think Vlandys was on the news last night and basically admitted that the NRL has not managed it's finances very good. He went on to say that that would have to change drastically moving forward.

pslbheth

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few on here gone now, it makes it much more pleasant
Doesn't really make for spirited debate, but its an option i guess if you know your just never going to get on with someone