Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2020 Season suspended indefinitely

fanfromsingapore

Junior
Reaction score
Some organisations are prepared for a 'rainy day'. How much money did the NRL have put aside for a rainy day?

I know of some businesses that will probably go bankrupt because of the impacts of this virus. Other businesses have very strong balance sheets, i.e. Lots of cash and little or no bank debt (or other debt that is due on demand). Those strong businesses will probably weather the storm and then when things pick up, they also gain the former revenue of their competitors that go bankrupt.

I know of a town that is known for farming. Some farmers only expand their businesses from their cash flow. Other farmers have a few good years, borrow a lot of money from banks to add new farms to their existing farms. The farmers then have a few bad years. The bank then takes their farms.

From my experience, the best businesses have strong balance sheets that enable them to survive when the business hits the inevitable air pocket.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Actually I think I would prefer NOT to save the NRL, this whole scenario has really exposed how badly run an organization they are.
Personally I would like to see a totally revamped EXPANDED competition. It's time to shake shit up going forward. Maybe keep Vlandys, as he's been thrust into the deep end, but the rest can fuk off & get a job stacking shelves at Coles

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I can't think of a time league was ever well run. This even includes junior footy which is filled with nepotism and other favouritism, cheating and rigged raffles for prizes such as meat trays. Let's not forget the over-reliance of dodgy pokie machines and other gambling revenue.

Revivous

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
I can't think of a time league was ever well run. This even includes junior footy which is filled with nepotism and other favouritism, cheating and rigged raffles for prizes such as meat trays. Let's not forget the over-reliance of dodgy pokie machines and other gambling revenue.
Worst case was the Jets, so many of their players were friends kids of the Walker Bros and they wonder why they never went far after they won their prem. There's so much talent in the QRL but lads aren't getting a chance because they have the wrong last name or they haven't sucked the right persons arse.

Broncos has five feeders (Capras, Reddy, Norths, Souths, Wynnum) - that's over 300 players across four divisions (ISC, HDC, MMC, BRL). It's insane the amount of talent out there but yet we hear so much of 'XX coming through, he's a relation of XX player'. So many dudes that have been overlooked because someone as the right last name ... we all know one in our team over the years that didn't perform, all while we were screaming for others to be given a shot.

The blokes that work in all these joints are all ex-players and mates of mates. Once we move away from this bullshit, teams will actually get better and it is happening slowly - look at the difference in games from the old Holden Cup to the U20s of today, it's harder, faster and the defence is better by tenfold. I just hope it's not a case of too little, too late for us.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Worst case was the Jets, so many of their players were friends kids of the Walker Bros and they wonder why they never went far after they won their prem. There's so much talent in the QRL but lads aren't getting a chance because they have the wrong last name or they haven't sucked the right persons arse.

Broncos has five feeders (Capras, Reddy, Norths, Souths, Wynnum) - that's over 300 players across four divisions (ISC, HDC, MMC, BRL). It's insane the amount of talent out there but yet we hear so much of 'XX coming through, he's a relation of XX player'. So many dudes that have been overlooked because someone as the right last name ... we all know one in our team over the years that didn't perform, all while we were screaming for others to be given a shot.

The blokes that work in all these joints are all ex-players and mates of mates. Once we move away from this bullshit, teams will actually get better and it is happening slowly - look at the difference in games from the old Holden Cup to the U20s of today, it's harder, faster and the defence is better by tenfold. I just hope it's not a case of too little, too late for us.
I feel this problem is all through league. I remember playing for the battlers growing up (Souths in Townsville) and the moment we had any half good player, Brothers or Central would tell them to come across and convince them they would get selected for representative teams. I am sure there were a few players from Upper Ross and Norths that also got poached, predominantly by Brothers.

I still hate Brothers lol

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
I’m not sure I believe all that. You are probably right that there is a lot of jobs for the boys mentality in league in admin

But in terms of playing stock, if you are good enough and have the persistence, you’ll make it to the NRL through the pathway systems. The NRL is about talent and if you have it you’ll be noticed at some point even if you don’t debut until you are 25/26.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Hence my call for an EXPANDED revamp. State league comps should become reggies for the main comp & U20s should be reinstated

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Hence my call for an EXPANDED revamp. State league comps should become reggies for the main comp & U20s should be reinstated

I don’t think the state clubs want to become reggies for the main comp.

They like their comp being stand alone. They have their own history.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure I believe all that. You are probably right that there is a lot of jobs for the boys mentality in league in admin

But in terms of playing stock, if you are good enough and have the persistence, you’ll make it to the NRL through the pathway systems. The NRL is about talent and if you have it you’ll be noticed at some point even if you don’t debut until you are 25/26.
I don't buy it. Only if you look like a Jason Taumalolo or David Fafita in the juniors would you make it regardless. In most other cases, it is about family connections and other networking.

League has always been like this. In some ways, league has never left the 80s.

Revivous

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score

Honestly they're treated like reggies anyway, not sure this would help anything except piss off the QRL/NSWRL. U20s was a piss-take and has grown leaps and bounds since it was put under the state clubs.

Revivous

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score

*cough* Javid *cough*

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
*cough* Javid *cough*
Yeah you have a point there. Javid showed enough at the lower levels though. Mentally he wasn’t upto it at NRL level and it was definitely his last name that got him at least the final year of his contract.

Tunza

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I think the NRL and Q Cup should adopt our brilliant ideas. We're clearly much smarter than the professionals. I'm sure they scour fan forums for their solutions.

In saying that, we'll probably need to appoint a CEO, Chair and Referee's boss. Any volunteers? Stampede Rugba Leeg 2021.

pslbheth

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

Yeah your right didn't we have a half back that had to fight his way into the NRL, yeah I'm sure we did just cant remember his name now

pslbheth

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

happy for the state league to be expanded, im dead set against U20's it exposes immature minds to expectations that have very little chance of eventuating, which can be dangerous

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
happy for the state league to be expanded, im dead set against U20's it exposes immature minds to expectations that have very little chance of eventuating, which can be dangerous
How???? I mean there playing other U20s. My grandson would qualify for U20s, but instead he was (pre shut down) going to play in the local A grade comp, how is that good/bad for development. If their good enough, their old enough.
What is there currently?
My comment was probably more about going to the football & getting to watch more than 1 game.
Also by incorporating qcup etc, that would then be an integral component of the broadcast deal, which in turn provides greater exposure, which in turn will lead to better competition. U20s could also be included which would give us a Shit load more footy to watch.
Winner winner chicken dinner

I don't follow it, but isn't "college" football big business in the U.S.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
How???? I mean there playing other U20s. My grandson would qualify for U20s, but instead he was (pre shut down) going to play in the local A grade comp, how is that good/bad for development. If their good enough, their old enough.
What is there currently?
My comment was probably more about going to the football & getting to watch more than 1 game.
Also by incorporating qcup etc, that would then be an integral component of the broadcast deal, which in turn provides greater exposure, which in turn will lead to better competition. U20s could also be included which would give us a Shit load more footy to watch.
Winner winner chicken dinner

I don't follow it, but isn't "college" football big business in the U.S.

He’s talking about all the suicides that came about when players became ineligible for Under 20s for being too old and they also didn’t get an NRL contract.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
According to media reports players will be asked to take a 87% pay cut if the season doesn't play any more games.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-players-asked-to-take-87-percent-pay-cut/69565e11-b80d-448e-a5d9-52d0f9ef029c

That is shockingly bad. To think the game was so hand-to-mouth that they can't even meet a quarter of their obligations to players is horrendous.

Blokes on 100-300k will make less than minimum wage ffs
It is the players fault though. They wanted to max out their money from the broadcast deal. They evened threatened to strike if they didn’t get what they wanted. Now this is just the negative consequence of what they wanted if they can’t play.