Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2020 Season suspended indefinitely

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Players bleating about their salaries, clubs complaining about other clubs getting money.
You are all in the NRL. The NRL needs saving, otherwise you all get nothing.

Seems like everyone is ignoring the Golden Rule: Try not to be a c****.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Per Courier Mail, Paul Green is one of those who has been stood down today.

Can't link as on mobile but he has been given 2 weeks pay

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Per Courier Mail, Paul Green is one of those who has been stood down today.

Can't link as on mobile but he has been given 2 weeks pay
Now all we need is an NRL game if Coach Green can't pick or coach the team... :)

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I was stood down today too gang..

This virus is real-if you think it's not-got me, can get you too.

I'm ok with it, chill for a bit, then see what I'm going to do in interim, till things go back to how they were.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Did my best forgive formatting problems

Cowboys coronavirus: Paul Green stood down as club cuts staff
Peter Badel and Chris Honnery, The Courier-Mail
March 25, 2020 2:35pm
Subscriber only
COWBOYS coach Paul Green has been stood down on two weeks’ pay with more than 60 North Queensland staff facing uncertain futures as the coronavirus pandemic rips the heart out of the NRL.
The Courier-Mail can reveal Green and head-of-football Peter Parr have been given a fortnight’s paid leave with the majority of the Cowboys football and administrative staff stood down while the NRL season is in limbo.
Some Cowboys staff have begun making immediate inquiries with Centrelink after receiving documentation at their stand-down meeting outlining the possibility of government financial aid amid the COVID-19 crisis.

At this stage, Cowboys management have not spoken about job cuts or salary downgrades, instead offering staff members, including Green and Parr, the option to take annual leave with two weeks’ pay.

But, like many in Australian society, Cowboys staff will face some crippling times in the coming weeks and months, especially if the NRL premiership cannot resume until September 1, which is D-Day for the 2020 season.

Cowboys coach Paul Green has been stood down with two weeks paid leave. Picture: Alix Sweeney
Cowboys coach Paul Green has been stood down with two weeks paid leave. Picture: Alix Sweeney
Cowboys chief executive Jeff Reibel said it was a gut-wrenching day for the club and comes just 24 hours after Bulldogs coach Dean Pay and Canterbury staff were stood down immediately without pay.
“It was with a heavy heart that we talked with our people today about the decisions which were necessary to ensure the club’s survival of this unprecedented disruption to our 2020 season,” he said.
“It was excruciatingly difficult to let our people know through no fault of their own and in spite of the incredible talent they share with our club on a daily basis, that their positions were stood down.”

The Cowboys were one of the few NRL clubs to record a profit last season and remain hopeful they can ride out the COVID-19 storm to be part of the 2021 premiership.
New chairman Lewis Ramsay, who officially replaced Laurence Lancini just a fortnight ago, said he hoped to see Cowboys staff back at work soon.
New Cowboys chairman Lewis Ramsay. Picture: Alix Sweeney
New Cowboys chairman Lewis Ramsay. Picture: Alix Sweeney
“Our people have worked so diligently and selflessly for many months to prepare for our 2020 season and on behalf of the Board I would like to express how grateful the club is for the personal and professional contributions and sacrifices they have made,” he said.
“While the length of the season’s suspension is unknown, the club’s determination to return people to their roles as soon as possible remains steadfast.”
Green assured Cowboys fans he would do everything possible to ensure the squad returns in peak shape if the NRL premiership resumes later this year.
“While it’s disappointing we cannot currently carry on with our season, we understand there are greater concerns for the community and the safety of our staff and players is paramount,” he said.
“Whilst we will take this opportunity to freshen up, our team will continue to train and keep themselves in good shape.
“Rest assured that when the season recommences, we will be fit and raring to go.”

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Have worked so diligently and selflessly for months? You mean Coach Green wanting to pick all his mates for yet another year?

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score

I'm ok with it, chill for a bit, then see what I'm going to do in interim, till things go back to how they were.
I woodant wish this upon my worst enemy, and I am sorry to hear a mate has it. Lettuce know when you make a full recovery bra.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score

Sorry to hear that Paulo. My advice (take it or leave it) is do some daily exercise and don’t drink too much.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Have the Cowboys asked members to bail out the club?
Not in so many words. It's was the talk surrounding tickets before Rnd 2.

"Individual game ticket purchasers, just get your refund via Ticketek." Easy as.
Seaon ticket holders got, "Wait on, we'll see what we're doing with you lot."

With the suspension now in place, refunds should be happening immediately. Anyone had that offer so far? No? Just silence right? Maybe you'll go away if we just don't mention it.

Meanwhile Fox/9 pull their billions out (or cut off supply) with impunity.

I'm not saying, definitely, that multi-billion-dollar media companies should pay, but of the two, I'd come down on the side of season ticket holders getting a refund before Fox/9 are allowed to just choof off with their pockets still jingling.

pslbheth

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Have the Cowboys asked members to bail out the club?
I don't think they will need to, the leagues club has some cash, just no more coming in, but they do have fair sized assets behind them, so i can't imagine it would be hard to aquire funding, with the staff stand downs and the NRL sorting player wages it doesn't need much money to run

Bernster

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I'm giving the Membership thing a wait and see approach at this point in time.

If it is an option, I will be more than happy to roll it over into next year's renewal at this stage.

pslbheth

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

If it is an option, I will be more than happy to roll it over into next year's renewal at this stage.
under Aus Consumer Law there is no way that they are not obligated to refund your money for a service not delivered, i would think you may not get it all back but they certainly cannot just keep it.

I'm not a ticketed member as i live in Brisbane so the merch pack i have received is what i am entitled to. Not that i would want a refund anyway.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score

Yeah, there's more important things to worry about (eg; when Dan's is restocked ) but in saying that, if they continue with the direct debits I'll be pretty pissed.
I probably wouldn't have redone a full season next year, though if they offer that as a package if this year goes totally to shit, then I would probably get on board. If I can get a full tax right off, better still

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Players bleating about their salaries, clubs complaining about other clubs getting money.
You are all in the NRL. The NRL needs saving, otherwise you all get nothing.

Seems like everyone is ignoring the Golden Rule: Try not to be a c****.
Actually I think I would prefer NOT to save the NRL, this whole scenario has really exposed how badly run an organization they are.
Personally I would like to see a totally revamped EXPANDED competition. It's time to shake shit up going forward. Maybe keep Vlandys, as he's been thrust into the deep end, but the rest can fuk off & get a job stacking shelves at Coles

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Actually I think I would prefer NOT to save the NRL, this whole scenario has really exposed how badly run an organization they are.
Would you elaborate? I'm always keen to hear of ineptitude exposed. But I haven't picked up anything new in this current crisis.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Would you elaborate? I'm always keen to hear of ineptitude exposed. But I haven't picked up anything new in this current crisis.
Reportedly they have more staff at HQ than the English Premier League.

That they didn’t manage to get a future fund established over many years is probably another - although the RLPA and players take their share of blame given the players threatened to strike if their wage demands were not met.