Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2020 Season suspended indefinitely

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Will opposing teams travel to Townsville on the day of games? If so, that has got to be a huge advantage for us.

Spacey

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Will opposing teams travel to Townsville on the day of games? If so, that has got to be a huge advantage for us.
Well we have to travel to Sydney same day for away games aswell?

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
I wonder if game day travel into Sydney could be a thing for us going forward even when normality returns?

Didn’t seem to harm us versus the Bulldogs. The guys getting longer at home could put them in a better frame of mind than 3 days away for away games for example.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if game day travel into Sydney could be a thing for us going forward even when normality returns?

Didn’t seem to harm us versus the Bulldogs. The guys getting longer at home could put them in a better frame of mind than 3 days away for away games for example.
I'd imagine charter flights make it easier on the players. Possibly less time waiting in an airport, which only adds to the pains of travelling.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Have to say, I'm pretty disappointed in the Club.
Just received an email asking to pledge this years full season membership.

The benefits are

CONTINUITY PLEDGE BENEFITS - FULL SEASON MEMBERS*
  • Receive a 15% loyalty discount as you renew your membership each year for 2021-2025
  • Retain your seat allocation for 2021
  • Receive a membership price freeze for 2021
  • Attend any crowd-allowed regular season home games in 2020
  • Have your name included on our 25th Anniversary Thank You board at Queensland Country Bank Stadium precinct
Now it is a choice & if you choose not to then the following applies
  • You will not automatically retain your seat allocation for 2021
  • You will not receive a membership price freeze for 2021
Now i may be wrong, but i was under the impression that if you had a full season membership, then it would roll over the following year, i remember when having a 6 game membership that it rolled over each year & i had the same seats.
It would now seem that the club has decided to shit on the members who cant or dont pledge their membership by not giving them the same benefits as in previous years.
You might think that 15% discount is nothing to sneeze at, but speaking from experience*, prices will go up that 15% so the benefit will be lost in subsequent years. Not only that, but one thing this pandemic has highlighted is that NO-ONE knows what next year will bring & if fans will be back at games by then.

This is extremely poor form from the cowboys, who now it seems want to penalize members for the inadequacies of money management & shows that the same pisspoor mismanagement is not confined to only the NRL.

The club has not only dragged their arse on this matter, but now they expect members to kiss it better, i mean ffs the donkeys announced nearly a month ago that there season memberships would roll over to 2021.

They will be copping some flak for this & not just from me i suspect.

(*When the building industry slowed a few years back, I gave my regular customers a 10% "loyalty" discount, then proceeded to put prices up over the subsequent years, its a good strategy. Istill give a "loyalty" discount, but have effectively increased prices & profits since)

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
Have to say, I'm pretty disappointed in the Club.
Just received an email asking to pledge this years full season membership.

The benefits are

CONTINUITY PLEDGE BENEFITS - FULL SEASON MEMBERS*
  • Receive a 15% loyalty discount as you renew your membership each year for 2021-2025
  • Retain your seat allocation for 2021
  • Receive a membership price freeze for 2021
  • Attend any crowd-allowed regular season home games in 2020
  • Have your name included on our 25th Anniversary Thank You board at Queensland Country Bank Stadium precinct
Now it is a choice & if you choose not to then the following applies
  • You will not automatically retain your seat allocation for 2021
  • You will not receive a membership price freeze for 2021
Now i may be wrong, but i was under the impression that if you had a full season membership, then it would roll over the following year, i remember when having a 6 game membership that it rolled over each year & i had the same seats.
It would now seem that the club has decided to shit on the members who cant or dont pledge their membership by not giving them the same benefits as in previous years.
You might think that 15% discount is nothing to sneeze at, but speaking from experience*, prices will go up that 15% so the benefit will be lost in subsequent years. Not only that, but one thing this pandemic has highlighted is that NO-ONE knows what next year will bring & if fans will be back at games by then.

This is extremely poor form from the cowboys, who now it seems want to penalize members for the inadequacies of money management & shows that the same pisspoor mismanagement is not confined to only the NRL.

The club has not only dragged their arse on this matter, but now they expect members to kiss it better, i mean ffs the donkeys announced nearly a month ago that there season memberships would roll over to 2021.

They will be copping some flak for this & not just from me i suspect.

(*When the building industry slowed a few years back, I gave my regular customers a 10% "loyalty" discount, then proceeded to put prices up over the subsequent years, its a good strategy. Istill give a "loyalty" discount, but have effectively increased prices & profits since)
Interesting post Moggy. Thanks for sharing.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The thing that pissed me off the most is that they're pretty much trying to blackmail people into pledging by saying they won't be guaranteed their seats next year. I remember when I had season tickets on the eastern lower terraces.. first season I started off on about the 10m line and every year would move in a bit closer to halfway. Probably took 5 or 6 years to move to about 40m line. Those seats aren't exactly cheap either.. If you have 3 or 4 that's a couple of thousand dollars at least.

I'm all about supporting the Cowboys during this time but they aren't the only ones that have been hit hard financially throughout this crisis - no doubt many members would have been too.

Last edited:

Suncoast cowboy

Junior
Reaction score
In the absence of a game day thread, the million dollar question is: will Hampton, Cooper and Granville all be starters against the Titans?
Could someone please start a game day thread Ffs
Green will play young and up coming players and not stick with old wood...
Looking towards the future..
And not play players out of position..
E.g. Hess in the centres
Hampton on the wing
It's all good...
NOT...

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
The thing that pissed me off the most is that they're pretty much trying to blackmail people into pledging by saying they won't be guaranteed their seats. I remember when I had season tickets on the eastern lower terraces.. first season I started off on about the 10m line and every year would move in a bit closer to halfway. Probably took 5 or 6 years to move to about 40m line. Those seats aren't exactly cheap either.. If you have 3 or 4 that's a couple of thousand dollars at least.

I'm all about supporting the Cowboys during this time but they aren't the only ones that have been hit hard financially throughout this crisis - no doubt many members would have been too.
I understand why the club is doing this, but you said it excellently Jordan: everybody has been hit hard financially through this crisis.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The thing that pissed me off the most is that they're pretty much trying to blackmail people into pledging by saying they won't be guaranteed their seats. I remember when I had season tickets on the eastern lower terraces.. first season I started off on about the 10m line and every year would move in a bit closer to halfway. Probably took 5 or 6 years to move to about 40m line. Those seats aren't exactly cheap either.. If you have 3 or 4 that's a couple of thousand dollars at least.

Agree. I understand they want to encourage people to roll their membership forward but threatening consequences if they don't rubs me the wrong way.

Billythefish

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Agree. I understand they want to encourage people to roll their membership forward but threatening consequences if they don't rubs me the wrong way.
I'd agree. Its not the pledging thing that bothers me, if people want to do it and can afford to do it then thats great, but its the wording of it all i dont like. Its basically give us your money, or you lose your seat and the prices are going up for you next year. Great way to see a drop in members for next year.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
Interesting move during this technology boom.

Back in the mid nineties, watching the footy involved going to the game or watching the game on Pay TV somewhere on a Saturday night. Consequently, watching a game used to prevent me going away for a weekend.

These days we can head off camping on the Friday night, stream the game (whilst camping or fishing) on the Saturday night and head home on the Sunday. In my opinion, the future of the game is streaming, not attending games in person. I predict that going to a game will become a once or twice a year special occasion. Season ticket sales will decline.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Interesting move during this technology boom.

Back in the mid nineties, watching the footy involved going to the game or watching the game on Pay TV somewhere on a Saturday night. Consequently, watching a game used to prevent me going away for a weekend.

These days we can head off camping on the Friday night, stream the game (whilst camping or fishing) on the Saturday night and head home on the Sunday. In my opinion, the future of the game is streaming, not attending games in person. I predict that going to a game will become a once or twice a year special occasion. Season ticket sales will decline.
This is probably exactly why in all likelyhood i wont pledge, that and also that the club have & continue to receive significant funding from the NRL & sponsors, plus would make considerable $$$ from merchandise, i suspect some of their community projects also attract some govt funding, so for me i just find the whole donate or cancel quite unsavory. Like i said earlier it reeks of very poor management practices.
I'll probably just renew as a distant star member & then pick & choose which games to go to, one thing though, I am glad I got to experience the stadium opening, thats a once only experience, not unlike the 1st premiership i suspect

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I pledged mine and was very happy to.
Of course, that is your decision to make.
How do you feel about "losing seats" being used as leverage? If you're uncomfortable with it, the moment of your agreeing to pledge would be an ideal time to express that discomfort, in solidarity with your fellow fans and in resistance of bullying, capitalist fascism.

Remember Channel 9 just strolled away with their half-billion. Now, as usual, the average Aussie is being asked to bail out billionaire corporates and their millionaire bosses.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Talk about blackmail from the club. Asking ordinary everyday members to donate to the club this year whilst scores of Cowboys employees get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per year - or you will lose your seats for next year.

Not a good look at all. In fact it stinks.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Our round 1 game against the Donkies is on Fox right now. I still shake my head wondering why Dunn didn't throw that pass to Hampton.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
Our round 1 game against the Donkies is on Fox right now. I still shake my head wondering why Dunn didn't throw that pass to Hampton.
I'm not sure about which play you are referring to.

However, I think there was one situation where a cowboy player had the ball, looked to pass to an unmarked winger, but the winger (Hampton?) was standing behind the passer, instead of on the wing. This is an unusual situation, and may have caused the player with the ball to hold instead of pass. 99 times out of 100, a player would expect the winger to be closer to the sideline.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I pledged as soon as I read the email.. You're either a part of a Club or not in my opinion. Could I do with that cash right now? You bet I could. But, I would be devastated if we lost our Club.

All for one and one for all.

Last edited:

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about which play you are referring to.

However, I think there was one situation where a cowboy player had the ball, looked to pass to an unmarked winger, but the winger (Hampton?) was standing behind the passer, instead of on the wing. This is an unusual situation, and may have caused the player with the ball to hold instead of pass. 99 times out of 100, a player would expect the winger to be closer to the sideline.
That is the same play I was talking about.