Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2020 Round 8 (A) vs Eels - Teams & Discussion

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve never coached NRL - obviously, but I found that scenario quite common in the junior teams that I coached.

Suncoast cowboy

Junior
Reaction score
We paid a lot for Val ,an unproven fullback
Because of our fullback debacle
(Ponga..Ben Barba) that just stinks right there
He is a local lad and an Australian winger
If he fits into our team best as a winger..im all for it
I think fullback is drinkys best position
Marsters we paid too much for as well
In his rookie year I was calling him rookie of the year
He scored some great tries out of nothing
Kinda reminded me of one Ash Graham in his first year ..I distinctly remember Ash scoring his first try as a centre and thinking...this guy is good..
But like Gash..Marsters hasn't regained that form..
I know he stayed on his man in the first try of that second half..but a blind man could see what was unfolding..and he should have slid out to help his team mate out
That's why his defence is lazy...

donuts

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
no point risking Val on the parra pitch.

I heard its being relayed this week which is ridiculous as there is not enough time for the grass to really bed in...

Reactions: CC

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Val to sneak back in on the wing to go up against Fergo and Blake?

I'd be a bit concerned forcing Hamiso to deal with those guys at this stage, would be a good test for him though.

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
We paid a lot for Val ,an unproven fullback
Because of our fullback debacle
(Ponga..Ben Barba) that just stinks right there
He is a local lad and an Australian winger
If he fits into our team best as a winger..im all for it
I think fullback is drinkys best position
Marsters we paid too much for as well
In his rookie year I was calling him rookie of the year
He scored some great tries out of nothing
Kinda reminded me of one Ash Graham in his first year ..I distinctly remember Ash scoring his first try as a centre and thinking...this guy is good..
But like Gash..Marsters hasn't regained that form..
I know he stayed on his man in the first try of that second half..but a blind man could see what was unfolding..and he should have slid out to help his team mate out
That's why his defence is lazy...
I may have misread your points. Val was on our radar before BB, but he went to the US instead. He was targeted as our fullback as he was lighting it up in that position at Cronulla. BB was seen as a good short term replacement (short contract).

NSW_Cowboy

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Val to sneak back in on the wing to go up against Fergo and Blake?

I'd be a bit concerned forcing Hamiso to deal with those guys at this stage, would be a good test for him though.
we know he can outrun them.. f*#k tackling them.

Suncoast cowboy

Junior
Reaction score
I may have misread your points. Val was on our radar before BB, but he went to the US instead. He was targeted as our fullback as he was lighting it up in that position at Cronulla. BB was seen as a good short term replacement (short contract).
My point is..i see Val as a ball runner of the highest order..drinky and hammer are ball runners and ball players..
Val has done a few tap on try assists
But I think ..in my worthless opinion
He doesn't have the vision and play-making skills of drinky and hammer....
Not that I have see have seen YET....

Masinat

Junior
Reaction score
My point is..i see Val as a ball runner of the highest order..drinky and hammer are ball runners and ball players..
Val has done a few tap on try assists
But I think ..in my worthless opinion
He doesn't have the vision and play-making skills of drinky and hammer....
Not that I have see have seen YET....
I tend to agree with you. The best footy I have ever seen Holmes play was for the Sharks as a winger, where he would score tries for fun. I don't think it should be considered a certainty that he plays fullback and Tabuai-Fidow plays on the wing.

In saying that, there is a lot more to fullback than just passing and speed, and Val Holmes has the experience and the gravitas to lead the team, and direct our defenders, from fullback which obviously Hamiso lacks in his debut season. To be honest it is a great problem, it wasn't long ago that Ben Hampton was one of our starting wingers. The sooner that Val Holmes is fit and ready to play the better. We've had a bad run with high profile outside back recruits in recent years, Ben Barba, Nehe Mcdonald etc.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Yep...and he went to the NFL to earn more money
And play as a ball runner...
See how he goes as an NRL fullback...
He lost money going to the NFL. But it was a holiday, and getting out of his Sharks contract (he wasn't happy with Flanagan).

Masinat

Junior
Reaction score
I see that Green has named an unchanged 17 for this match. Nice to have some consistency in selection, especially after such a positive 1st half against the Knight. This week Paul Green has spoken very positively about Tom Opacic's attitude and contribution to the team, which is great to see. Our attitude was much improved against the Knights compared to the dreadful Tigers game, and Tom Opacic's inclusion clearly played a role in this improvement. Opacic exudes enthusiasm and effort, and that's contagious in a team. I hope that our team can play with the same commitment this week, and I also hope Opacic continues to play well.