Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2020 Round 8 (A) vs Eels - Teams & Discussion

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
What I’d like to see:

1. Holmes
2. Feldt
3. Opacic
4. Marsters
5. Tabuai-Fidow

What we know we will actually see:

1. Holmes
2. Feldt
3. O’Neill
4. Marsters
5. Tabuai-Fidow
It may be remiss of me to say, but i think you are right on both points..

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
What I’d like to see:

1. Holmes
2. Feldt
3. Opacic
4. Marsters
5. Tabuai-Fidow

What we know we will actually see:

1. Holmes
2. Feldt
3. O’Neill
4. Marsters
5. Tabuai-Fidow
The O'Neil and Marsters one is a difficult one (though probably one in vain as Coach Green will probably try pick both of them).

O'Neil has a more tidy game now than the last few years. He is putting his body on the line more, finding the try line better than he has the last couple of years, and is not making as many mistakes. His speed has worsened every year since 2016, but we have Hamiso and Val in the team now to soften that blow. He is not getting any better, and is past his prime. But he is not going to cost us a game either (excluding the game Hampton lost his confidence, and O'Neil was struggling to know when to support or defend his own man).

Marsters hasn't showed us much x-factor yet or scoring yet. But he can break tackles, make metres and do a lot of tough hit-ups we haven't seen a centre do since Kano. But his D (or attitude in D) is terrible.

Fully fit, I'd rather we just go:

1 Holmes / Hammer
2 Feldt
3 Opacic
4 Morgo
5 Holmes / Hammer
6 Drinkwater
7 Clifford

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The O'Neil and Marsters one is a difficult one (though probably one in vain as Coach Green will probably try pick both of them).

O'Neil has a more tidy game now than the last few years. He is putting his body on the line more, finding the try line better than he has the last couple of years, and is not making as many mistakes. His speed has worsened every year since 2016, but we have Hamiso and Val in the team now to soften that blow. He is not getting any better, and is past his prime. But he is not going to cost us a game either (excluding the game Hampton lost his confidence, and O'Neil was struggling to know when to support or defend his own man).

Marsters hasn't showed us much x-factor yet or scoring yet. But he can break tackles, make metres and do a lot of tough hit-ups we haven't seen a centre do since Kano. But his D (or attitude in D) is terrible.

Fully fit, I'd rather we just go:

1 Holmes / Hammer
2 Feldt
3 Opacic
4 Morgo
5 Holmes / Hammer
6 Drinkwater
7 Clifford
Good form from Oneil, i think he can coast in games and do his bare minimum, when i want a bit more.
That high energy Opacic bought is what team needs, willing to accept an error from him, if he does the rest right...has to be next to Feldt for max benefit to team

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Good form from Oneil, i think he can coast in games and do his bare minimum, when i want a bit more.
That high energy Opacic bought is what team needs, willing to accept an error from him, if he does the rest right...has to be next to Feldt for max benefit to team
Opa started off looking like a horrible signing for us (and when a fan thinks 'why did we take scraps from the Broncos'). By the end of last year, I saw some hints of an origin player with his toughness/ attitude/ energy etc.

BDR

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Opacic has competitiveness in spades. He is always scrapping and doing the 1%ers (see his shot on Ponga, and his powerful tackle from behind on Saifiti on the weekend). We sorely need that energy throughout the team.

I will be really disappointed if he is dropped.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Opacic is a fair bit more skilful than the stodgy ‘grafter’ he is pigeon holed as IMO

How often did he look like he would bust the Knights right open at times And THAT flick pass.

I’d say he is borderline criminally underrated at this point.

mitchelljams

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone paid attention to Marsters speed? The dude is an absolute sloth. If we are picking a fast back line Im taking Oniell over him every day.

BDR

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

The ARL Commission has expanded the 6-again rule to include markers not being square and breaking early. Effective this weekend.

Billythefish

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Opacic is a fair bit more skilful than the stodgy ‘grafter’ he is pigeon holed as IMO

How often did he look like he would bust the Knights right open at times And THAT flick pass.

I’d say he is borderline criminally underrated at this point.
I noticed Tom had quite a handy kicking game at times last year. He strikes me as the kind of player that Melbourne would take and make a lot out of.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score

The ARL Commission has expanded the 6-again rule to include markers not being square and breaking early. Effective this weekend.
FMD.....let's just change the rules as we see fit. So now the ONE referee has to watch the ruck, the play the ball & check teams are back the 10.........or are we going have the touchies rushing with their flag up "offside...offside....offside".
Seriously some of these administrators have shit for brains

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Revivous

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score

Starting Team:

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Tom Opacic
4. Esan Marsters
5. Justin O'Neill
6. Scott Drinkwater
7. Jake Clifford
8. Josh McGuire
9. Reece Robson
10. Jordan McLean
11. Shane Wright
12. Coen Hess
13. Jason Taumalolo (C)

Interchange Bench:

14. Ben Hampton
15. Gavin Cooper
16. Peter Hola
17. Francis Molo

Reserves:

18. Reuben Cotter
19. Valentine Holmes
20. Corey Jensen
21. Jake Granville

• Thanks
Reactions: BDR

BDR

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Unchanged side makes sense - Val in reserves is good news he can't be far off.

BDR

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

BDR

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Per Green's press conference, Val sounds reasonably likely to play. Said it is similar scenario to McLean was last week - he just has to complete training through the week and pull up ok and he will play.

He gave particular praise to Opacic for the way he trained and took his opportunity last week so I would suggest he won't be the one dropped.

Green was pressed on who would be dropped if Val was fit and avoided the question so no clearer on that front.

BDR

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
One thing I found interesting and mildly concerning is Green saying he can't really pick when the boys are ready to go. He said there are times when he thinks the preparation has been good and we don't show up, and times when he thinks we're in trouble and the performance is good.

Wonder how common that is among NRL coaches. Seems strange to me.