Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2020 Round 2 Cowboys (A) v Bulldogs - Teams & Discussion

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Bloody Morgs had 530 kick metres last night. He started controlling the game a bit more too I think. Forwards worked hard. We were reasonably error-free too. Far from a dominant performance, but it goes to show you how getting some of the fundamentals right can make us a totally different footy team.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Bloody Morgs had 530 kick metres last night. He started controlling the game a bit more too I think. Forwards worked hard. We were reasonably error-free too. Far from a dominant performance, but it goes to show you how getting some of the fundamentals right can make us a totally different footy team.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yep, much better than kicking into the legs of opposition all the time.

Broncos winning against a good team is a plus for us. It means we got beaten by a good team in Rd 1. We have played 1 half of good footy so far this season out of 4 halves. Once/if we start stringing our halves together we may go alright.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I am not sold on either. Asiata was solid in defence but neither were/are that threatening in attack. Dunn, just doesn't seem that physical. When I think of a ball playing forward, I immediately think of Glen Stewart or his contemporary counterpart Jake Trbojevic. They can threaten with a clever pass or are just as likely to run over you.

I would prefer more starch. I'd take Gilbert and Hola.

I remember Hola saying in the pre season that he'd been stripping some extra weight and training on the edges as well as the middle. I haven't heard anything about it since but it was like he saw it as a pathway into the team. You have the Broncos with guys like Fifita who are a genuine attacking threat where as Wright/Dunn/Coops aren't anywhere near the same ball park in that department. I guess Hess could be capable but he's still got a bit of plodder in him at the moment - I think all that time playing in the middle has effected his ability to defend on the edge. He gets back into position so slow sometimes and has been exposed a couple of times already this year because of it. It's definitely fixable though.

But yeah, I'd like to see Hola come off the bench and see how he goes on an edge. Who knows how he'll go defensively but might as well give it a shot. Hess and Hola could be a formidable long term backrow combination if they both got their defence right.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
It's not his position and not sure how he'd go but something inside me wants to see Gilbert playing on an edge striking terror into the hearts of halves.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
It's not his position and not sure how he'd go but something inside me wants to see Gilbert playing on an edge striking terror into the hearts of halves.

According to stats he's about the same size as Cameron Murray and he doesn't do too bad.

GunsUp42

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Hola needs to be in the team next week, it's as simple as that. Look around the the league and see the amount of young forwards terrorising edges causing havoc as well as creating something out of absolutely nothing, like Fifita did to us in Rd1. I've seen a fair bit of Hola and absolutely see him as being equal if not greater than some of the young Broncos forwards. He could be absolutely anything, like Jase has become. The fact that we are playing the ghost of Gavin Cooper in the second row and have both Dunn (who I also like) and Asiata coming off the bench playing the same role as each other with little damaging impact is testament to how far behind the league this club has become. I've always tried to back Green but his refusal to play some of these guys that we have coming through our development pathways is crippling the club into the future.

fanfromsingapore

Junior
Reaction score
Hola needs to be in the team next week, it's as simple as that. Look around the the league and see the amount of young forwards terrorising edges causing havoc as well as creating something out of absolutely nothing, like Fifita did to us in Rd1. I've seen a fair bit of Hola and absolutely see him as being equal if not greater than some of the young Broncos forwards. He could be absolutely anything, like Jase has become. The fact that we are playing the ghost of Gavin Cooper in the second row and have both Dunn (who I also like) and Asiata coming off the bench playing the same role as each other with little damaging impact is testament to how far behind the league this club has become. I've always tried to back Green but his refusal to play some of these guys that we have coming through our development pathways is crippling the club into the future.
Whoa.

It has been over 15 minutes since you wrote this post and no-one has responded with............"He's only young. Don't rush it. He has to wait his turn. He will get his opportunity at Origin time." Or whatever other excuse (crap) people came up with for not trying a young guy.

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Whoa.

It has been over 15 minutes since you wrote this post and no-one has responded with............"He's only young. Don't rush it. He has to wait his turn. He will get his opportunity at Origin time." Or whatever other excuse (crap) people came up with for not trying a young guy.
He's only young.

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Hola and Gilbert are 6 months (ish) younger than Haas. He has already played a full seaon and some other games... Give them a run. Doesn't have to be the same week.

CairnsCow

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
woot, still in top eight, and chickens still without a win, Gus can shove his comments last week up his clacker ..

Billythefish

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Edge back rowers are becoming very dangerous players in the modern game. We have a lot of good, solid players in our back row positions, and Hess is capable of getting tries, but i dont think we have a game breaker like a Fifita or a Pangai. In saying that, i actually think Marsters, who started as an edge back rower, could play that role for us very effectively.

As much as i hate to admit it, Broncos have done a fantastic job with integrating their young forwards. That Pat Carrigan looks very impressive. Flegler looked very good against the rabbits, and Fifita and Haas are just a level about every other young forward in the game. I agree though, we have some very good young players in our forwards and i dont see them getting a run under green.