Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2020 Round 2 Cowboys (A) v Bulldogs - Teams & Discussion

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I was thinking about the second half lack lustre effort. Could have been the nature of the game being in an empty stadium and what is really going on in the background. Distracting?

I work in close proximity with lots of noisy active people. A few times this week they dropped off into absolute silence.
I found it quite boring to watch actually, perhaps that was just the standard of play.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
As an aside, the away jerseys look fan-bloody-tastic.
This. And the home. They need to keep it as the core design and just do minor tweaks to it to entice jersey sales.

One thing I noticed was last week was the amount of new jersey’s kicking around, more than I have ever seen before. Seems to me like they’re a popular design.......

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
This. And the home. They need to keep it as the core design and just do minor tweaks to it to entice jersey sales.

One thing I noticed was last week was the amount of new jersey’s kicking around, more than I have ever seen before. Seems to me like they’re a popular design.......
Bring back the star on the logo... :p

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Val is tracking fine. Was a lot better last night than Round 1. Once he’s fully fit he will carve teams up.
Val is the least of our worries. Though, there are going to be some growing pains in D. He's only had one season at fullback, and then was out of the game.

Tunza

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
As an aside, the away jerseys look fan-bloody-tastic.
I loved the away jerseys with the blue shorts (not the white originally advertised). I also love the home jersey with the white shorts - not the blue worn for the first round:

Home jersey, white shorts

Home jersey, blue shorts

Away jersey, blue shorts

Away jersey, white shorts (right)

Jagjaxon

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Postives: Esan looks great, getting some tough runs in our own end like Kaneo a few years back. But with some footwork.

Hampton may not be a winger, but the bloke leaves in all on the field and he is pretty safe.

Mcguire set the platform early, we missed him last week. Limited penalties, although he probably should've been for the leg pull.

Hess, that chase from the kick is something we wouldn't have seen the past couple seasons. If he strings together some good performances I think he's going to be great for us this season.

Vaii not much else to say about him. What a machine

Negatives:
Drinkwater and Coopers defence is not looking good. Wright could fix this up maybe?

Asiata and Dunn off the bench, I think we can only afford to have one or the other make room for Gilbert or Hola

Our spine is showing glimpses of brilliance but they'll follow it up with a mistake. I'm confident they'll gel soon

Billythefish

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I think our forwards carried us to victory combined with a couple of moments of brilliance. Thought the halves and the backs were no more than OK and failed to capitalise on a dominant forward display.

Tunza

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Negatives:
Drinkwater and Coopers defence is not looking good. Wright could fix this up maybe?

Asiata and Dunn off the bench, I think we can only afford to have one or the other make room for Gilbert or Hola

Our spine is showing glimpses of brilliance but they'll follow it up with a mistake. I'm confident they'll gel soon
Cooper was excellent in defence in the first half and only missed one tackle - a pretty major f*** up. Maybe he's not an 80-minute player anymore Greeny?

Drinky has been gassed in the second half of both games. He only missed two tackles last night which was a major improvement. He's very active in defence, just not particularly effective. I was more concerned that his lack of fitness made him ineffective in attack in the second half. Easily fixed with some more match fitness.

I'll get lynched for saying it again, but Asiata isn't in our top 17 - maybe not even the top 21. He's good at lots of things but not good enough at any one of them. We have loads of attacking options for the first time in three seasons so his ball-playing isn't as valuable. Better off bringing in an attacking weapon (Hola), dependable worker (Wright) or crazy tackling psycho (GOATbert) off the bench.

Dunny is our emergency utility. Can play any position on the field other than wing and fullback if needed.

Bench: Robson/Granville, Dunn, Hola/GOATbert/Wrighty, Molo.

Bundy

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else think that we were robbed a conversion? I think it was the conversion after the Hess try? Luckily it didn't effect the end result. Although if spots for the 8 are tight at the end of the year, an extra 2 points to the differential could come in handy.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I thought that McLean played pretty well in both this and the first game. Mainly due to his hitups being hard runs, with good contact and moving the piles forward. This has been what's missing in his game, with his runs usually consisting of him stopping, and backing-in to the line.

So why did he cop flack in the last game thread and a bit in this thread? What am I missing? "Prop runs hard on every carry" seems to be happening.

Tunza

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
So why did he cop flack in the last game thread and a bit in this thread? What am I missing? "Prop runs hard on every carry" seems to be happening.
He's not flashy, never makes the highlights and his strength is his defence. Most fans don't value what he brings. Greeny called him out in last night's presser - he did lift this week.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I thought McLean was excellent in defense and attack. He's too lanky and lumbering to make breaks like someone like Jase but he does a great job finding his front to get a quick play the ball.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Postives: Esan looks great, getting some tough runs in our own end like Kaneo a few years back. But with some footwork.
Is he going to be the new Pope though, he doesnt like passing the pill. I even think this was a complaint when he was at the tigers

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Is he going to be the new Pope though, he doesnt like passing the pill. I even think this was a complaint when he was at the tigers
He loves to pass and offload it, it's one of the strengths of his game. He throws an offload or flick pass whenever he can.

8 offloads so far in 2 games.

Billythefish

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
He loves to pass and offload it, it's one of the strengths of his game. He throws an offload or flick pass whenever he can.

Not so sure i'd agree with the passing part, he is a fantastic offloader though. He has been good so far for us.

ToeCutter

Junior
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Anyone else think that we were robbed a conversion? I think it was the conversion after the Hess try? Luckily it didn't effect the end result. Although if spots for the 8 are tight at the end of the year, an extra 2 points to the differential could come in handy.
Yeah, I did. I was sure it just snuck in beside the post and Val seemed to think so to.

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I am not sold on either. Asiata was solid in defence but neither were/are that threatening in attack. Dunn, just doesn't seem that physical. When I think of a ball playing forward, I immediately think of Glen Stewart or his contemporary counterpart Jake Trbojevic. They can threaten with a clever pass or are just as likely to run over you.

I would prefer more starch. I'd take Gilbert and Hola.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

That could be so much higher. Once the other guys see what he can do, they will push up with him. He is ready to offload about 75% of the time.