Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2020 Recruitment and Retention thread

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
This certainly was the case of our charge towards the premiership. And it is Green's greatest testimony.

But it hasn't really occurred for a couple of years either. Recruits over the past two seasons have either regressed or given the same output. Maclean, McGuire, Baptiste are just a couple of examples of this. Novody has come to this club recently and blown away expectations.

It is the ongoing hallmark of a coach who has grown very stale in his approach, and has not evolved.

What remains to be seen is whether our latest batch of recruits can perform in their new environment. A lot of hope for Holmes and Drinkwater on this mark, but the jury remains in deliberation until we see it, week after week in the grind of an NRL season.
I agree in many of the criticisms in here of Green. But let's face it. It's 2020, and it the modern era of the NRL, there is no success without a superstar at fullback (notwithstanding teams still need a good halfback and go-forward).

Our team has struggled the moment Cootie started to decline. We missed Val Holmes the first time we wanted him, and Barba let the club down majorly.

I am hoping that our complaints of our stale/boring/structured style of footy is mitigated by having Val taking pressure off Morgo and Drinky/Cliffo.

*this post is not aimed at defending Green/Parr, but if we suddenly find some form again this season, I think we might then know why.

Revivous

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Jeeze, sensing some real hostility on here lately. Guys, people are allowed to have differing opinions without being attacked.

Com'n, we're better than this.

Reactions: CC

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Gash has a job for life. He was doing rehab report videos over the off season if I remember correctly.

With as much charisma as you can imagine.

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I agree in many of the criticisms in here of Green. But let's face it. It's 2020, and it the modern era of the NRL, there is no success without a superstar at fullback (notwithstanding teams still need a good halfback and go-forward).

Our team has struggled the moment Cootie started to decline. We missed Val Holmes the first time we wanted him, and Barba let the club down majorly.

I am hoping that our complaints of our stale/boring/structured style of footy is mitigated by having Val taking pressure off Morgo and Drinky/Cliffo.
None of this happens if our forward pack is dominated in defence and attack. That is where my primary concern lies.

Anyway, these are just the thoughts of a complete amateur. Onward and upward.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
None of this happens if our forward pack is dominated in defence and attack. That is where my primary concern lies.

Anyway, these are just the thoughts of a complete amateur. Onward and upward.
That is true. I don't, however, believe this should be a long-term problem for us. We have a good core of props developing (but do not know how long it will take them to come on?). Hess and Asiata might actually be playing in positions that align with their body size and style (what the hell where Hess and Asiata doing in the backs last year with prop sized bodies?). And if Robbo is even a little bit better than Granville, our forwards might actually get a bit of momentum.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
For the glass half full camp. I have quietly been backing the Cowboys for the Premiership with Sportsbet. The price has been 17--19 -- 21--and is now back to 19.

Until I see otherwise I will continue to have 114 to 6 each week while they are at 19. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise with my own eyes.

While it means nothing really, or maybe it does I recall what Val had said after the Broncos trial that he just wanted to do enough but not give too much away as to how he was going.

The way the side played against the Storm could give the Optimist the opinion that the whole side took that attitude into that trial as well.

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I think we have a very competitive spine with Robson/Cotter, Val, Morgan and Drinkwater. Forwards... Some good, some not so good. Easily be pretty good with a ruthless clean-out. Outside backs.... unsure, we'll see soon enough.

Matbudgie

Junior
Reaction score
Is it too early to start talking wholesale changes?

Marsters has been good, as has Drinkwater. Holmes will be good... on the wing for a while. The left side is trash with Hampton, O’Neill and Cooper. Hampton’s positional play and strength are just not good enough, and O’Neill and Cooper both looked directionless and with no penetration (O’Neill for the short time he was on for).

Of course we need more go-forward from everyone at the front who’s name isn’t Jason Taumalolo, but just talking about the backs, we need:

1. Drinkwater
2. Feldt
3. Marsters
4. Opacic
5. Holmes
6. Clifford
7. Morgan

Though Val will never not wear 1 on “fullback money”.

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

Marsters has been good, as has Drinkwater. Holmes will be good... on the wing for a while. The left side is trash with Hampton, O’Neill and Cooper. Hampton’s positional play and strength are just not good enough, and O’Neill and Cooper both looked directionless and with no penetration (O’Neill for the short time he was on for).

Of course we need more go-forward from everyone at the front who’s name isn’t Jason Taumalolo, but just talking about the backs, we need:

1. Drinkwater
2. Feldt
3. Marsters
4. Opacic
5. Holmes
6. Clifford
7. Morgan

I like it ,although I would have Clifford at7 and Morgan at 6

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
TPJ has been hit with a grade 2 charge 4 weeks if he pleads guilty and 6 weeks if he fights it and loses.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score

1. Drinkwater
2. Feldt
3. Marsters
4. Opacic
5. Holmes
6. Clifford
7. Morgan

I thought even a half match fit Holmes gave us some of the best kick returns we have seen in years at the Cowboys.

He’s got to play at fullback. Drinkwater is a good player but it’s chalk and cheese in terms of kick returns between him and Homes.

Billythefish

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Its actually scary how poor our pack has become, especially our wide back rowers. Pangai and Fifita are so damaging, ours have no impact and barely even do their jobs in defence. We need to just blood the young guys like the donkies did. Gilbert could do the same kind of job for us that Carrigan does for them. I'd actually like to see something like this for our bench and forwards in the next game

8 Hola
9 Robson
10 Moose
11 Dunn
12 Wright
13 Taumalolo

14 Cotter
15 Hess
16 Molo
17 Gilbert

I think we need Molo to keep the rage going. from the bench.

fanfromsingapore

Junior
Reaction score
Its actually scary how poor our pack has become, especially our wide back rowers. Pangai and Fifita are so damaging, ours have no impact and barely even do their jobs in defence. We need to just blood the young guys like the donkies did. Gilbert could do the same kind of job for us that Carrigan does for them. I'd actually like to see something like this for our bench and forwards in the next game

8 Hola
9 Robson
10 Moose
11 Dunn
12 Wright
13 Taumalolo

14 Cotter
15 Hess
16 Molo
17 Gilbert

I think we need Molo to keep the rage going. from the bench.
I suspect you are right. The forwards are were the main adjustments need to be made. I like the players you have listed. Do we have someone who is better than Hess though? Asiata?

Billythefish

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I suspect you are right. The forwards are were the main adjustments need to be made. I like the players you have listed. Do we have someone who is better than Hess though? Asiata?
Hess is a different proposition as an impact player from the bench. Green seems to want to take his impact away and make him play big minutes.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
WTF did Wright do wrong last year to deserve dropping completely from the squad????

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I thought even a half match fit Holmes gave us some of the best kick returns we have seen in years at the Cowboys.

He’s got to play at fullback. Drinkwater is a good player but it’s chalk and cheese in terms of kick returns between him and Homes.
Concur with this. Also Drinky is the most creative half option at the club right now...he has to stay in the halves I reckon. Val was also looking to inject himself and sniffing around for inside balls from Morgo. I think the spine is okay for now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk