Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2020 Recruitment and Retention thread

Charlie124

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that former Cowboys NYC player Darryn Schonig has signed with Melbourne storm, could be a handy pick up for them as i think he has the potential to be a very good prop in the mold of a young Matt Scott. Another one gets away.
If only we had five-hundred spots in our squad so we could retain every player who "has potential to be very good".

Seriously, we signed Val Holmes, Esan Marsters and an exciting prospect in Reece Robson (to put a fire under Granville) this offseason. Can't we just be happy with that?, and congratulate our recruitment & retention team for giving our club the tools to be successful in 2020 (its up to the players and coaches now).

After two shit-show seasons in a row, i hate to think what people would be saying if we'd just promoted a few rookies with potential rather than going aggressively into the player market to sign some big names in key positions. If you want to know the answers, have a look at the Titans recruitment. Yuck.

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
North Queensland went 'aggressively' into the player market in 2018 and 2019. Maclean, Barba, MacDonald, Hampton, Baptiste, Kahu are examples of these efforts that yielded very little.

Molo and Maguire are two that have proved beneficial, but on balance it has been a poor exercise.

I personally enjoyed watching our young players, warts and all, over these overhyped imports.

It is up to the recruitment staff and coaches to prove that we are not in for just another shit show in 2020.

Charlie124

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
North Queensland went 'aggressively' into the player market in 2018 and 2019. Maclean, Barba, MacDonald, Hampton, Baptiste, Kahu are examples of these efforts that yielded very little.

Molo and Maguire are two that have proved beneficial, but on balance it has been a poor exercise.

I personally enjoyed watching our young players, warts and all, over these overhyped imports.

It is up to the recruitment staff and coaches to prove that we are not in for just another shit show in 2020.
I don't know which McClean you've been watching but to suggest that Jordan's signing has "yielded very little" is ridiculous.

Signing Barba and Nene weren't recruitment mistakes, at the time they were great signings. It's the players themselves who f*cked it all up with their own stupid off field behavior. Unfortunately, and without access to a crystal ball, even great signings turn to shit for one reason or another.

I personally don't rate Hampton all that highly, so i can agree with you to an extent on him - although i also don't consider him, Baptiste or Kahu to be in the same conversation as any of the aforementioned players, certainly not "overhyped imports". They were depth signings at best.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I don't know which McClean you've been watching but to suggest that Jordan's signing has "yielded very little" is ridiculous.

Signing Barba and Nene weren't recruitment mistakes, at the time they were great signings. It's the players themselves who f*cked it all up with their own stupid off field behavior. Unfortunately, and without access to a crystal ball, even great signings turn to shit for one reason or another.

I personally don't rate Hampton all that highly, so i can agree with you to an extent on him - although i also don't consider him, Baptiste or Kahu to be in the same conversation as any of the aforementioned players, certainly not "overhyped imports". They were depth signings at best.
Nene and Barba had history of being f*** ups off the field mate, the club got what they deserved with signing those 2. Agree that they were great players on the field though, absolutely can’t deny that.

FeldtByAGagai

Junior
Reaction score
Melbourne sent us an Australian representative front rower, and we received an injury riddled plodder who has only held his spot in first grade through his reputation.

Make or break year for him. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt with a full pre season under his belt. I’m expecting him to fire this year.

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Jordan Maclean is the personification of overhyped. Previously a representative player at a high-flying club, now an injury riddled prop that goes missing at key moments and supposedly is a 'forward leader' pack that gets destroyed weekly. No longer even in the conversation for rep sides.

The rest of your post only reinforces my point that it is better to be cautious around signings for the coming season.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Jordan Maclean is the personification of overhyped. Previously a representative player at a high-flying club, now an injury riddled prop that goes missing at key moments and supposedly is a 'forward leader' pack that gets destroyed weekly. No longer even in the conversation for rep sides.

The rest of your post only reinforces my point that it is better to be cautious around signings for the coming season.
ssssh, but his ‘stats’....

Blow by Blow

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Boys footy is back today so let's get along. I think we can all agree that he is held in esteem by his team mates for a reason and that the teams poor form over the past two years is not his fault. However we all are hoping for more from him this year.