Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2020 Recruitment and Retention thread

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
HTF hasn't even played a single game of Q Cup. He's also had injuries playing against kids. I reckon giving him a full season in Q Cup, maybe two, is the way to go. He could be fun in the nines, trials and maybe even get a game or two next season during Origin.

I'm hoping there's a genuine long term plan for him that includes where and when he's played in the Q Cup. Whether that's at fullback, wing or centre remains to be seen. He has a similar physique to a young Greg Inglis so he may put on some size over the next few years - or not. If he bulks up, he might be an ideal left centre. If not, he might be a winger for a couple of seasons and Val's deputy.

If I was planning his future (which I'm not, thankfully) I'd have him start at LEFT wing for the Pride then test him in the centres and/or fullback towards the back end of the season. Depending on how the Q Cup season pans out, work him into the left-wing or centre for the NRL squad at some point in 2021 with him playing in EXACTLY the same position when he drops back to Q Cup.

Exciting to have some excellent kids coming through.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He's quite a bit shorter than Inglis. Remains to be seen if he'll grow much more, but at 186cm he's big enough for the centre's if he fills out a little bit. Though everyone these days seems to want to play fullback so they can command 'fullback money'. Might be cause for concern when he comes off contract if he's killing it in first grade by then..

I do think playing him on the wing is probably the best option for him to be introduced to first grade though. If he's going well enough I don't want to see his debut delayed just for the sake of it. He's 19 this year - there's heaps of players in the NRL that are that age. If you're good enough you're old enough. We haven't had a great track record with our juniors the last few years - let's not piss this one off lol.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
He's quite a bit shorter than Inglis. Remains to be seen if he'll grow much more, but at 186cm he's big enough for the centre's if he fills out a little bit. Though everyone these days seems to want to play fullback so they can command 'fullback money'. Might be cause for concern when he comes off contract if he's killing it in first grade by then..

I do think playing him on the wing is probably the best option for him to be introduced to first grade though. If he's going well enough I don't want to see his debut delayed just for the sake of it. He's 19 this year - there's heaps of players in the NRL that are that age. If you're good enough you're old enough. We haven't had a great track record with our juniors the last few years - let's not piss this one off lol.
Why can’t we just start him on the wing. As you say, so many great players start their backline careers in their teens.

If HTF is good enough, he’s old enough.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Why can’t we just start him on the wing. As you say, so many great players start their backline careers in their teens.

If HTF is good enough, he’s old enough.
He didn't look good enough physically last year from what I saw, not sure if he could develop his physique enough in one off season.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Hearing murmurs that if Cowboys can’t find a back to fill roster spot #30, then Hoffman will take it.
He’ll play Blackhawks and be available, if needed, for Cowboys.
I am not a fan of this, but can see the reasoning behind this.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Hearing murmurs that if Cowboys can’t find a back to fill roster spot #30, then Hoffman will take it.
Don’t like that at all. The guy is done at NRL level. Give the opportunity to someone younger.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Is there any real substance to this? I thought they only to fill the last spot by June 30?
Shit for all we know (& hope) LM may realize what a fuktard Bennett is & want out of the rabbits to go piggin

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Agree 100%.
i guess club scared if hit with the injury stick

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
They may as well hold onto that spot and only sign Hoffman if they absolutely need him due to an injury crisis.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Is this just a Blackhawks signing? Nothing to do with the Cowboys.
Dunno why we'd want him.
Hes an ok player.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Over 30, plenty of NRL experience, ex-Bronco. That's a Greeny special.

He'll be starting by Round 5.

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
And this was my fear of what was happening. Different if he had a business up in Cairns but still loved footy etc. But no, looks like a Greenie special.... Can't wait till 2020 season starts.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He's been.looking at houses in Townsville apparently for awhile, wants to move back to area.
Just a high profile hawks signing I feel.
If we put an offer in for Mitchell-might have at least 500k for the last roster signing

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
He’s from Mackay bro.
Not sure what sort of coin he would be on.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Can't see him being in any plans that don't involve multiple injuries across the backline.

There is a lot of justified ragging on Green for being too conservative in his selections but this year is make or break, I don't think he can afford to continue playing it safe after 2 shithouse seasons.

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that former Cowboys NYC player Darryn Schonig has signed with Melbourne storm, could be a handy pick up for them as i think he has the potential to be a very good prop in the mold of a young Matt Scott. Another one gets away.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I just noticed that former Cowboys NYC player Darryn Schonig has signed with Melbourne storm, could be a handy pick up for them as i think he has the potential to be a very good prop in the mold of a young Matt Scott. Another one gets away.
‘Another one’. We have got good young forwards like Molo, Hola and Gilbert. Literally can’t sign everyone.