Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2020 Recruitment and Retention thread

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I probably still wouldn't put it past Kevvie to select Oates even if he doesn't play another game this year
If there is one thing I liked about Walters as coach, it is that he gave Cooper a go at origin. Previously, Meninga overlooked Cooper for players were weren't better than him: Guerra, Gillett and McQueen to name a few. I think in hindsight, I can accept Gillett as he turned out to be a good player in his own right before the injuries came.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Somebody on this forum was saying only last week that Feldt is behind Oates in the Origin selection stakes.

Seems a pretty ridiculous statement now.
I just noticed that Feldty is favourite (Beteasy?) for NRL leading try scorer, and is pretty tempting odds for top point scorer.

If Feldty were to be our goal kicker more often, then he'd be a lock for top point scorer.

rexy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Say it isn't so, I can't go for that, Hall was a bit of a Maneater, & Oates has Private Eyes

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Post try celebration because your kiss is on my list while they blast life at the outpost over the loudspeaker

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

EvolutionUber

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
A Cowboys premiership forward is on the verge of quitting North Queensland with four NRL rivals tabling offers to one of the most skilled big men in the competition.

John Asiata is on the verge of quitting the Cowboys with the premiership utility weighing up three rival offers including overtures from Queensland rivals the Titans. Asiata, one of North Queensland’s most popular players, is in danger of being lost to the club unless the Cowboys can table an eleventh-hour bid to stop him leaving Townsville. Arguably the most versatile player in the NRL, Asiata is off-contract at season’s end and has attracted strong interest from rival NRL clubs headed by the Titans and St George Illawarra Dragons.

The Raiders are also in the frame with Canberra coach Ricky Stuart having cash to spend after British star John Bateman‘s decision to leave the Green Machine at the end of the season. There is a possibility Asiata, currently sidelined with a knee injury, may have played his last game for the Cowboys with the Dragons having discussed an immediate transfer for the Tongan international. The 27-year-old has no issue with coach Paul Green but is keen to secure a regular starting berth with Cowboys sensation Jason Taumalolo having a stranglehold on Asiata’s preferred No. 13 jumper.

“I am considering all of my options,” Asiata said. “I have enjoyed my time at the Cowboys but I wish to secure the starting No.13 jersey which is currently held by the best forward in the world, so I will look elsewhere to further my career.

“I feel I can improve my game and have heard good things about Justin Holbrook (Gold Coast coach) from my former teammate Lachlan Coote (who played under him at St Helens) and some of the Titans boys who know him well. “I know whatever team I join I can assist with leadership and now with the change to the six-again rule my ability to ball-play at the line will be an advantage. “It is a process which I have left my agent to deal with.” The Cowboys will hold further talks with Asiata this week but may struggle to match offers from the Titans, Dragons and Raiders. The clever Asiata has tallied 121 first-grade games for the Cowboys and played a handy interchange role in the club’s maiden premiership win in 2015. “John is in demand and will add a creative influence to any roster with his skill set, there are few middle-forwards with his footwork and ball skills,” said his manager Chris Orr of PSM. “We are in talks with a few clubs. John has not ruled out staying at the Cowboys but we will look to finalise the matter soon.”

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
That's a shame JA is likely to leave as he is probably one of the best club people we have going around. Plus his talent speaks for itself. However, at this point of his career, I think the club shouldn't up our offer, and that JA should take the best deal he can find for his family.

He will always be part of our premiership team, and will always be very well liked up here. But I personally don't think he is in our best 13, and possibly not in our best 17, long-term. I don't think it has helped his cause being thrown in the halves while doing all that gym work to be a prop..

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
A Cowboys premiership forward is on the verge of quitting North Queensland with four NRL rivals tabling offers to one of the most skilled big men in the competition.

John Asiata is on the verge of quitting the Cowboys with the premiership utility weighing up three rival offers including overtures from Queensland rivals the Titans. Asiata, one of North Queensland’s most popular players, is in danger of being lost to the club unless the Cowboys can table an eleventh-hour bid to stop him leaving Townsville. Arguably the most versatile player in the NRL, Asiata is off-contract at season’s end and has attracted strong interest from rival NRL clubs headed by the Titans and St George Illawarra Dragons.

The Raiders are also in the frame with Canberra coach Ricky Stuart having cash to spend after British star John Bateman‘s decision to leave the Green Machine at the end of the season. There is a possibility Asiata, currently sidelined with a knee injury, may have played his last game for the Cowboys with the Dragons having discussed an immediate transfer for the Tongan international. The 27-year-old has no issue with coach Paul Green but is keen to secure a regular starting berth with Cowboys sensation Jason Taumalolo having a stranglehold on Asiata’s preferred No. 13 jumper.

“I am considering all of my options,” Asiata said. “I have enjoyed my time at the Cowboys but I wish to secure the starting No.13 jersey which is currently held by the best forward in the world, so I will look elsewhere to further my career.

“I feel I can improve my game and have heard good things about Justin Holbrook (Gold Coast coach) from my former teammate Lachlan Coote (who played under him at St Helens) and some of the Titans boys who know him well. “I know whatever team I join I can assist with leadership and now with the change to the six-again rule my ability to ball-play at the line will be an advantage. “It is a process which I have left my agent to deal with.” The Cowboys will hold further talks with Asiata this week but may struggle to match offers from the Titans, Dragons and Raiders. The clever Asiata has tallied 121 first-grade games for the Cowboys and played a handy interchange role in the club’s maiden premiership win in 2015. “John is in demand and will add a creative influence to any roster with his skill set, there are few middle-forwards with his footwork and ball skills,” said his manager Chris Orr of PSM. “We are in talks with a few clubs. John has not ruled out staying at the Cowboys but we will look to finalise the matter soon.”
He made a couple of really good points. One being his skill set and what he can offer a team. We never really took full advantage of that. Hopefully he can show it off somewhere else. Secondly, he is stuck behind Lolo and would like a starting position. Something no team could offer anyone who has Lolo in it.

I hope he goes to the Titans with Fifita and they tear it up.

bigfatforward

Junior
5 Year Member
Reaction score

BDR

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
If this is a legit quote he is already gone. I have said before I think he could flourish elsewhere, but he has gone off the boil a bit recently even before the injury. Change might be good for him.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

"Manly’s Brendan Elliotand Cowboys prop Francis Molohave both been offered to clubs in the UK, according to League Express."

I hope this is rubbish!

#moneyformolo

What the actual.... ridiculous if true. Not sure why we'd shop one of our best forwards