Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2020 Recruitment and Retention thread

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Apparently Benji Marshall is been shopped around and we are one of the targets. Can't imagine we'd be interested.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Apparently Benji Marshall is been shopped around and we are one of the targets. Can't imagine we'd be interested.

You'd hope not. Thankfully we got the win over the weekend and our halves were quite strong or I wouldn't have put it past us to panic buy him.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
As I said somewhere else, only if we knew something like Morgo being out for the season. And even then, I wouldn't want Benji to get opportunities at the expense of Cliffo, Drinky and Robbo.

I don't think Benji would be the worst player to have off that bench, though. He's experienced, mature, can play a role, and if he is wearing the 14-17 jersey, then there is no need for Cooper to be there 'for experience'.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Benji should finish in the Super League like Matty Bowen did. Go out at a lower level but still get to bask in the adulation of the keen fans over there.

If the Tigers don’t want Benji (a legend of that club) - you know he is done.

Benji has ruined his legacy a fair bit by playing on so far past his prime.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I suspect Benji may not fit into our forward rotation.

This forum is nothing if not pro-active, according to some press (not all) his manager is shopping him around, and we've already got him penciled into the lineup, including whom he is replacing.

I reckon we are only about 3 posts away from a diatribe about how Green and Parr are terrible recruiters and that we will no doubt sign him for big dollars on a multi-year deal.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
I suspect Benji may not fit into our forward rotation.

This forum is nothing if not pro-active, according to some press (not all) his manager is shopping him around, and we've already got him penciled into the lineup, including whom he is replacing.

I reckon we are only about 3 posts away from a diatribe about how Green and Parr are terrible recruiters and that we will no doubt sign him for big dollars on a multi-year deal.
Nah. I think people are aware that Benji won’t get another NRL deal if it’s not at the Tigers.

Revivous

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
We have a single spot left on our Roster. If we got him for depth or as a 14, I'm ok with that, especially if it's on a cut-price deal, but as others have said, not at the expense of Drinky & Cliffo - they're just finding their groove now.

Make me wonder where Granny is off to, can't say he'd be happy about being dropped.

Donelec

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
We have a single spot left on our Roster. If we got him for depth or as a 14, I'm ok with that, especially if it's on a cut-price deal, but as others have said, not at the expense of Drinky & Cliffo - they're just finding their groove now.

Make me wonder where Granny is off to, can't say he'd be happy about being dropped.
I thought HTF took that spot or is that not the way it works

Revivous

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
I thought HTF took that spot or is that not the way it works
There's a bit of hearsay around it. With COVID, teams were allowed to bring dev squad members into the bubble with them and use them as they see fit. HTF's contract automatically upgrades to full squad next year, if I were the Cows I would see no reason to upgrade him now, when the NRL has given dispensation to use Dev as normal anyway.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
There's a bit of hearsay around it. With COVID, teams were allowed to bring dev squad members into the bubble with them and use them as they see fit. HTF's contract automatically upgrades to full squad next year, if I were the Cows I would see no reason to upgrade him now, when the NRL has given dispensation to use Dev as normal anyway.
I am glad HTF is a local kid, who will probably want to remain in this region long-term. But he also has a union background, so over the course of his career, there might be strong competition for his signature from league and union teams.

Spacey

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I am glad HTF is a local kid, who will probably want to remain in this region long-term. But he also has a union background, so over the course of his career, there might be strong competition for his signature from league and union teams.
Hope so, has he said this in an interview?

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Fortunately for us Union hasn't got a pot to piss in at the moment. Australian players were asked to take a 40% pay cut, and subsequently then asked to take a 60% one.

They are broke.

NSW_Cowboy

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
He played 1 season of Union for a high school scholarship before the cows snapped him up.. no chance he will go to union.

Reactions: Jax

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Fortunately for us Union hasn't got a pot to piss in at the moment. Australian players were asked to take a 40% pay cut, and subsequently then asked to take a 60% one.

They are broke.
Union is going through some short-term pain right now because of covid. But overall, they can offer things that are appealing to sportsmen.

For starters, you get a contract with the Australian franchise you choose. Then if good enough, you get a second contract with the ARU (if good enough), which I am pretty sure is not counted against the salary cap of your club. Overall, you get a pretty nice pay cheque.

Then there is the opportunity to play test rugby on long and enjoyable tours in Europe, NZ and South Africa. To top it off, one can get a lucrative retirement pay day in Europe or Japan.

League's best argument will always be that it is a more enjoyable game to play, though. Because it is.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Union is going through some short-term pain right now because of covid. But overall, they can offer things that are appealing to sportsmen.

For starters, you get a contract with the Australian franchise you choose. Then if good enough, you get a second contract with the ARU (if good enough), which I am pretty sure is not counted against the salary cap of your club. Overall, you get a pretty nice pay cheque.

Then there is the opportunity to play test rugby on long and enjoyable tours in Europe, NZ and South Africa. To top it off, one can get a lucrative retirement pay day in Europe or Japan.

League's best argument will always be that it is a more enjoyable game to play, though. Because it is.
Even pre-Covid Australian Union was in dire straits financially. In Australia, the game is in terminal decline.

The Wallabies central contract system isn't some sort of lucrative work around either, its pretty standard arrangement in other countries. Combining that with the dire state of the Super Rugby means there is not much money on offer domestically.

Anyway, I think contract speculation on a guy 3 games into his NRL career, who played 12 games of Union at a private school, is probably premature.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I think contract speculation on a guy 3 games into his NRL career, who played 12 games of Union at a private school, is probably premature.
Any league talent with a background in union would be on union's radar. A lot of successful league players do not successfully transition to union (which the ARU learnt the hard way in the past), but those who actually have played union understand the rules and all the nuances that make it different to league.

Hopefully for us, Hammer just loves league, the Cowboys and the NQ region. Code hoping mercenaries like Andre, I meant Kalyn, Ponga will always be realistic options for union.