Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2020 Recruitment and Retention thread

Revivous

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Alright, let's get onto another thought (other than the lad from Taree) who should we be targeting for next year?

2020 Development Gains & Re-signings:

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Northern Pride), Ben Condon (Townsville Blackhawks), Wiremu Greig (Northern Pride), Garrett Smith (Mackay Cutters)

2020 Academy Players:

Jacob Kiraz (Centre, Utility Half), Griffin Neame (Utility Forward), Elijah Anderson (Winger, Centre), Aaron Moore (Halfback), Michael Bell (Wing, Centre)

Off Contract 2020:

Atalani "John" Selesele-Asiata, Reuben Cotter, Gavin Cooper, Mitch Dunn, Kyle Feldt, Ben Hampton (Player Option), Corey Jensen (Player Option), Jordan McLean (Player Option), Francis Molo, Tom Opacic, Emry Pere, Daniel Russell, Tukimihia Simkins, Shane Wright

We'd probably be keeping Cotter, Dunn, Feldt, (Hampton, Jenko & Macca take options), Molo, Simkins and Wrighty

Let's assume those who are 50-50 in staying leave - how much does that free up? Who slots in?

Billythefish

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I think that is a bit harsh considering his age, and that he's been involved in premierships and origin victories.

There was a time when i was pissed off people were saying 'Taumalolo is not living up to the SBW hype'. I had to remind people Jase was only 20 or 21 years old to which they were then shocked he was still a kid. Within 2-3 years later, it became offensive to mention Jase alongside SBW because he is so much better than Williams (even in all of William's greatness).
I dont think its harsh really. You only have to look at the shape he has kept himself in, which is pretty ordinary considering he wants to be a fullback. If he really wanted to be a fullback, he would have been in shape for the start of the 2020 season and thats exactly why i dont think he has the dedication or desire to get the maximum out of his ability. He certainly has the talent, but i think playing in the centres at the Roosters has allowed him to hide a lot of the flaws in his game. I have always got the feeling he believes the hype around him and thinks his talent enough will be enough for him to succeed without the hard work. His start to the year at the Rabbits should be the wake up call he needs, but i doubt it.

Billythefish

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Alright, let's get onto another thought (other than the lad from Taree) who should we be targeting for next year?

2020 Development Gains & Re-signings:

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Northern Pride), Ben Condon (Townsville Blackhawks), Wiremu Greig (Northern Pride), Garrett Smith (Mackay Cutters)

2020 Academy Players:

Jacob Kiraz (Centre, Utility Half), Griffin Neame (Utility Forward), Elijah Anderson (Winger, Centre), Aaron Moore (Halfback), Michael Bell (Wing, Centre)

Off Contract 2020:

Atalani "John" Selesele-Asiata, Reuben Cotter, Gavin Cooper, Mitch Dunn, Kyle Feldt, Ben Hampton (Player Option), Corey Jensen (Player Option), Jordan McLean (Player Option), Francis Molo, Tom Opacic, Emry Pere, Daniel Russell, Tukimihia Simkins, Shane Wright

We'd probably be keeping Cotter, Dunn, Feldt, (Hampton, Jenko & Macca take options), Molo, Simkins and Wrighty

Let's assume those who are 50-50 in staying leave - how much does that free up? Who slots in?
Its probably going to depend on what happens with the salary cap and what we can actually afford. I think we have a few players on big money now who arent really worth it.

Last edited:

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I dont think its harsh really. You only have to look at the shape he has kept himself in, which is pretty ordinary considering he wants to be a fullback. If he really wanted to be a fullback, he would have been in shape for the start of the 2020 season and thats exactly why i dont think he has the dedication or desire to get the maximum out of his ability. He certainly has the talent, but i think playing in the centres at the Roosters has allowed him to hide a lot of the flaws in his game. I have always got the feeling he believes the hype around him and thinks his talent enough will be enough for him to succeed without the hard work. His start to the year at the Rabbits should be the wake up call he needs, but i doubt it.
Fair points, but I don't think he has necessarily had a good offseason with all the contract dramas, and media attention he got about the money, and the Aboriginal flag (which he was told he had to do by the nrl).

No doubt he must slim down and take better care of himself. But I think the Roosters are kidding themselves if they underestimate the loss of him. It does make sense to prioritise the likes of a Keary or Tedesco, but they could have more easily replaced a JWH or SST than Latrell.

Billythefish

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Fair points, but I don't think he has necessarily had a good offseason with all the contract dramas, and media attention he got about the money, and the Aboriginal flag (which he was told he had to do by the nrl).

No doubt he must slim down and take better care of himself. But I think the Roosters are kidding themselves if they underestimate the loss of him. It does make sense to prioritise the likes of a Keary or Tedesco, but they could have more easily replaced a JWH or SST than Latrell.
I'm not sure negotiating his contract dramas should have had such an effect on his fitness. It he was professional enough it shouldnt have had a massive impact.

It will be interesting to see how the Roosters go without him, but i think its Cronk they will miss more than Latrell. Mitchell is a great attacking player, but at the same time he is poor defensively and lazy imo. I'm not so sure he looks as good in a side like ours really who arent as dominant as the Roosters.

We need to get our squad balance in order i think before we are in a position though to be chasing big money signings like Latrell would be. We have the likes of Taumalolo, Holmes, Morgan, Mclean, Mcguire, Jussy, Hampton and Granville all on big money or silly contracts in terms of length and we are probably only getting good value out of one of them ( jury is still out on Holmes ). Hampton, Granville and Jussy could easily be replace by Opacic, Cotter and Taulagi and the team wouldnt be any weaker but we would save a fair chunk of our cap with the latter 3. Hola could step into the spot of Asiata and we wouldnt be any weaker. I'd even go so far as to say Dunny and Wright wouldnt be a downgrade on Hess either, and both would be a lot cheaper. Some big decisions and a lot of work to be done to organise our squad balance and cap management. We have made some awful contract decisions.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure negotiating his contract dramas should have had such an effect on his fitness. It he was professional enough it shouldnt have had a massive impact.
Fair points. He probably should have trusted management better, but I think he has had pretty useless managers, and has went through about 3 of them recently.

We need to get our squad balance in order i think before we are in a position though to be chasing big money signings like Latrell would be. We have the likes of Taumalolo, Holmes, Morgan, Mclean, Mcguire, Jussy, Hampton and Granville all on big money or silly contracts in terms of length and we are probably only getting good value out of one of them ( jury is still out on Holmes ).
Granville, O'Neil and Hampton makes little sense. We all know Morgo and McLean aren't living up to their pay cheque. Neither is Hessy. But I am still hoping they all turn it around.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I notice Jimmy Tamou is off contract after 2020. I wonder whether he and his family would be more willing to relocate back up North?

Most likely, nothing will happen in this space.

Spacey

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
From the muppet media, I've been in minor isolation for a little while, but what have I missed??

NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS

Queensland Maroons winger Kyle Feldt will be a priority for the Cowboys
, as will the versatile John Asiata. Jordan. Gavin Cooper has indicated that he wants to play on with the Cowboys beyond this year. Jordan McLean endured a difficult start to life in Townsville.
Cowboys players off contract: John Asiata, Gavin Cooper, Reuben Cotter, Mitchell Dunn, Kyle Feldt, Jordan McLean, Francis Molo, Tom Opacic, Emry Pere, Dan Russell, Tukimihia Simpkins, Shane Wright.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Cooper playing beyond this season? Surely not?

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
The club lets legends pick their own retirement... well except Matty Bowen.....