Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 State of Origin Game Three - Teams & Discussion

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I feel we are in a holding pattern atm. Waiting for a new generation of dominant, regular QLD players. Currently, a part from Munster, it seems we have a spine who were squeezed out by the usual suspects over the last decade. These guys are largely heading towards the back-end of their careers. New forwards are on the way and hopefully new playmakers.

As much as I hate them, NSW had a slightly better team and probably deserved the win (booo!) with Teddy and Damien Cook and if Latrell was playing even more so. Everybody else cancelled each other out imo.

Munster suits fullback (allowed to hog the ball from back there), to bad we couldn't do simple stuff and follow him around on the field when he was making half breaks.

I have a feeling Ponga won't be playing for us for ever. No point building a team around him.
Not sure we have to wait, I think QLD at full strength can match the Blues, but we are very thin. Friend, Arrow, Ponga were crucial injuries. Could have definitely won it if those guys played all 3.

NSW enjoy a lot more depth across the park

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Not sure we have to wait, I think QLD at full strength can match the Blues, but we are very thin. Friend, Arrow, Ponga were crucial injuries. Could have definitely won it if those guys played all 3.

Yeah, I think we can win 1 for their 2 atm. I am more thinking of a dominant spine that will stick together. Or, maybe I am still a little spoilt from years past.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score

To be fair both Tedesco and Cook easily outpoint Ponga and Friend. Ponga is unable to produce the dynamic running Tedesco is able to. Same with Cook re Friend.

Honestly, Tedesco is the best fullback I’ve seen. Ponga is not even close to him at this stage.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Logic says we don’t need Friend nor Ponga to outpoint their direct opponents. They both improve our side significantly without them being better than Cook/Tedesco. Given it took NSW a home game 3 deciding last minute try to win this series, results say we’re not as far off from this NSW side as the naysayers are led to believe.

Those adjustments to the spine as well as a bit more fire power off the bench will serve us well moving forward to next year. Game 3 decider is in Brisbane which we wouldn’t lose either IMO, especially staring down the barrel of 3 straight series losses.

CC

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Queensland needs to find two new explosive centres and not pick all half's and 5/8s. Too many players playing out of position. Forward scored all our points last night.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I think we can win 1 for their 2 atm. I am more thinking of a dominant spine that will stick together. Or, maybe I am still a little spoilt from years past.
I like the current playmaking unit of

1. Ponga
6. Munster
7. DCE

Which should be able to stick together for another 2 years or so before DCE moves on. Hooker is still a serious issue, hopefully Reed Mahoney kicks on or Turpin at the Broncos. Friend could do it for the next few years but always seems to be injured.

The outside backs are where we are really hurting for quality IMO. I would have said forward pack too but they have brought on Welch and Ofahengaue this year who should hopefully stick around for a few years to come. Fifita should only improve with age too.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I like the current playmaking unit of

1. Ponga
6. Munster
7. DCE

Which should be able to stick together for another 2 years or so before DCE moves on. Hooker is still a serious issue, hopefully Reed Mahoney kicks on or Turpin at the Broncos. Friend could do it for the next few years but always seems to be injured.

The outside backs are where we are really hurting for quality IMO. I would have said forward pack too but they have brought on Welch and Ofahengaue this year who should hopefully stick around for a few years to come. Fifita should only improve with age too.
If someone told me a cpl of years ago. Once Hodges and GI are gone all we have is Mbye I would have laughed.. then cried