Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 8 Cowboys (H) v Titans - Teams & Discussion

mitchelljams

Junior
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the playing style of the team last night?

Morgan was right side predominantly and not left as per all year. He switched it up more regularly though throughout the night and was found on the left also. But overall, Morgo was our director all night. Didn't get noticed. Didn't do a lot. But this was the first time he was across the entire field and drove us around like a number 7. Asiata was the perfect foil for this. Did his job attacked off the back of it and it paid out dividends.

Side note: Morgan being right-hand side brought Hess into the game running those angles where is the most effective. It was exquisite to watch.

All in all, I think the dynamic was more balanced last night. Morgan and Clifford are either too alike or too giving of each other the space to do their thing (they never link up, all the roosters do is link the halves back and forth until their edge finds a hole or the defense is stretched). I can only hope someone else sees this, leaves Clifford out in QCUP and it's Morgo/Asiatia and Morgo/TMM when he's fit again.

I do not doubt Clifford's skill and ability to be an NRL level halve. Is it at the Cowboys next to Morgan? Not right now. He will need to move or learn how to be the foil to Morgan. As Morgan was to JT. As any halves pairing has ever been.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score

Morgan was right side predominantly and not left as per all year. He switched it up more regularly though throughout the night and was found on the left also. But overall, Morgo was our director all night. Didn't get noticed. Didn't do a lot. But this was the first time he was across the entire field and drove us around like a number 7. Asiata was the perfect foil for this. Did his job attacked off the back of it and it paid out dividends.

Side note: Morgan being right-hand side brought Hess into the game running those angles where is the most effective. It was exquisite to watch.

All in all, I think the dynamic was more balanced last night. Morgan and Clifford are either too alike or too giving of each other the space to do their thing (they never link up, all the roosters do is link the halves back and forth until their edge finds a hole or the defense is stretched). I can only hope someone else sees this, leaves Clifford out in QCUP and it's Morgo/Asiatia and Morgo/TMM when he's fit again.

I do not doubt Clifford's skill and ability to be an NRL level halve. Is it at the Cowboys next to Morgan? Not right now. He will need to move or learn how to be the foil to Morgan. As Morgan was to JT. As any halves pairing has ever been.
I noticed, which is why I assume the passing to Tuala seemed a little clunky (he often had to reach for the ball). Despite being clunky, it showed promise also.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
On the defence thing, yeah Clifford hasn't been great but we're just a terrible defensive side as a whole. We miss the second most tackles of any team. Morgan has become a terrible defender this year. Asiata struggled big time on the edge last night, he missed like five tackles. Even for 100-gamers like him, it's hard to adjust to edge defence in the NRL.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

I was about post this. Morgs looked really comfortable directing the show. I felt he is starting to own the team, his work behind the play was solid. He ripped Kahu & Juze when neither went for that kick in the first half.

I think you are all underestimating what GC threw at the boys last night. There were lots of players in motion and I felt our defence was quite considering what we have thrown up in the past.

I saw intensity last night and you could hear the talk from the stands, which I can't normally.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I haven't really seen enough of the good/great things Clifford can do to rate him so highly like many do on this board tbh.
He doesn't play the same role in first grade as he does in Qld Cup. He's usually a dominant half, in first grade he's basically a second centre who never moves. That's either a coaching instruction or it's a confidence thing. I'd say it's more coaching, seeing as Te Maire never moves sides at 5/8 and last year the halves tended to stick to their sides as well.

Compare him to the other young halves who are highly rated running around, such as Dylan Brown and Lachlan Lewis. Hell, I know Cleary has had alot more experience, but he is the same age and made the jump successfully some time before.
Lachlan Lewis is two years older than Jake and gets to basically run the show. He's only partnered with a more dominant half (Foran) 2-3 times. Cleary was also identified as Penrith's long term half early and given all the time he needed in first grade. Clifford got dropped after a good performance against the Dogs where he started to look confident.

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
On the defence thing, yeah Clifford hasn't been great but we're just a terrible defensive side as a whole. We miss the second most tackles of any team. Morgan has become a terrible defender this year. Asiata struggled big time on the edge last night, he missed like five tackles. Even for 100-gamers like him, it's hard to adjust to edge defence in the NRL.
Maybe his shoulder is still giving him issues? Hmmm

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe his shoulder is still giving him issues? Hmmm
Yeah most likely. He's really never been this poor. Not quite Maloney level but still not great.

mitchelljams

Junior
Reaction score
I will politely disagree with comments on Morgans defense. Granted he has trouble sticking in tackles. Sometimes throws himself very inefficiently into heavy contact but doesn't stick. I thought that this has lessened this year. However, the bloke has been JT'esque in cover and energy defense. The most out of any Cowboys player this year, next to F Molo. 17 players with that desperateness (desperate captain, it all rests on him) would see us get to the top of those defensive stats within a few weeks.

Completely agree regarding the comments of edge defending in the NRL. Second Row, Centre, and Halve. The hardest place to defend. If that combination isn't trained and tested. We will be swiss cheese all night. Shithouse we haven't kept this tight from when it once was. 15' LHS Linnet Cooper Thurston RHS Lowe Morgan Oniel. 19' (Most regular) LHS Kahu Morgan Cooper RHS (worst in NRL) Hess/Moose Clifford Tuala.

Hess and Moose are GREAT. Edge defenders.....I don't think so. Sit that next to less than 20 NRL games and giving up 20kgs in any edge combination in defence (Clifford and Tuala are light), not going to have the greatest time. Also to note an ageing Matt Scott on the inside of this RHS defence. You're not going to have a good time. I truly think a Shane Right, Corey Jensen or Tom Gilbert should be formed into a genuine edge defender now. Maybe even two of the 3. Cooper could retire this year and we will still be without a single NRL level the second rower. Or dare I say it, Hess eating clean and dropping the bulls**t weight he has added to his frame and returning to 2016 level athleticism would be appropriate too. We have enough props on the books.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Is fedlty back next week? I'm heading to magic round next week hoping to see the ninth
Walters said during the broadcast he is expected back next week but don't know if that was speculation. Kevvy might have some inside info because Feldt is in Origin considerations

Last edited:

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Walters said during the broadcast he is expected back next week but don't know if yhat was speculation. Kevvy might have some inside info because Feldt is in Origin considerations
God I hope