Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 8 Cowboys (H) v Titans - Teams & Discussion

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Round 8
Friday, May 3
6pm (local time)
1300SMILES Stadium

North Queensland Cowboys

1. Jordan Kahu
2. Justin O'Neill
3. Tom Opacic
4. Enari Tuala
5. Ben Hampton
6. Jake Clifford
7. Michael Morgan (c)
8. Matthew Scott
9. Jake Granville
10. Jordan McLean
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Josh McGuire
13. John Asiata

Interchange:
14. Kurt Baptiste
15. Coen Hess
16. Scott Bolton
17. Francis Molo

Reserves:
18. Corey Jensen
19. Mitch Dunn
20. Jason Taumalolo
21. Gideon Gela-Mosby

Coach: Paul Green

Gold Coast Titans

1. Michael Gordon
2. Anthony Don
3. Tyrone Peachey
4. Brian Kelly
5. Phillip Sami
6. Tyrone Roberts
7. Ash Taylor
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Mitch Rein
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Bryce Cartwright
13. Jai Arrow

Interchange:
14. AJ Brimson
15. Moeaki Fotuaika
16. Keegan Hipgrave
17. Max King

Reserves:
18. Jai Whitbread
19. Jack Stockwell
20. Will Matthews
21. Jesse Arthars

Coach: Garth Brennan

Last edited:

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
01. Mosby/Hampton/anybody but TMM
02. O’Neill
03. Kahu
04. Tuala
05. Feldt
06. Clifford
07. Morgan
08. Jensen
09. Baptise
10. McGuire
11. Cooper
12. Taumalolo
13. Asiata

14. Hampton
15. Hess
16. Bolton
17. Molo

Tomorrow’s team announcement is one of the more eagerly anticipated for me. Green must make changes. If we continue with the likes of Scott, Granville, TMM etc i’ll be well off it.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
DCE out for 4-6 weeks. Hopefully this spurns Morgo on to return to his god mode 2017 form.

I'm not expecting much from Green's announcement. I very much doubt he's going to drop some of our big name forwards. He'll probably blame our forward woes on Molo and drop him.

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
1) Ben Hampton - faster and more suited to fullback than wing.
2) Gideon Gela Mosbey - super quick x factor
3) Enari Tuala - haven't seen anything to rave about yet this year or Justin oneill / Jordan Kahu - Meh who cares both equal each other out.
4) Te Maire Martin - i think he would be better suited to the centres defends ok with help around him and has skill to spark attack.
5) Kyle Feldt - i hope he is back this week we have really missed his work.
6) Michael Morgan - Running Five eight need i say more
7) Jake Clifford - Out and out Halfback being first receiver will get him more in the game, and you will see him shine.
8) Josh McGuire - Brings ENERGY and Tightens up the middle
9) Kurt Baptise - Better service than what Jake has been dishing up.
10) Jordan Mclean - Metre Man just run hard
11) Gavin Cooper - mister 110% gives his all every game.
12) Jason Taumalolo - we have also missed his work makes the opposition work really hard in D
13) John Asiata - Link Man
14) Jake Granville - Bring him on when the opposition is gassed to run run run.
15) Coen Hess / Matt Scott - either one both have problems in defence with lateral movement.
16) Francis Molo - needs more minutes brings energy and stings in defence.
17) Corey Jensen - forgotten man give the guy a go
18) Tom Gilbert - based on the qrl stats he is worth a crack.
19) Mitch Dunn - Had a couple of bad games, but who in our hasn't.
20) Matt Scott / Coen Hess - either one both have problems in defence with lateral movement.
21) Shane Wright - Been killing it in QRL

I think it si about time for the team to have bit of a shake up.

Last edited:

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Not going to bank on us making any significant changes. I would like to see Jensen in and hopefully Lolo and/or Feldt are fit.

If Feldt is fit I would be in favour of moving Kahu back to FB otherwise I still think Martin is our best option

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Not going to bank on us making any significant changes. I would like to see Jensen in and hopefully Lolo and/or Feldt are fit.

If Feldt is fit I would be in favour of moving Kahu back to FB otherwise I still think Martin is our best option
the only problem i have with Martin at the back is his inability to clean up the loose ball and i think he would go well in the centres, he is used to defending in the line and can bring more attack from this position.
Kahu is to slow to play fullback IMO - i think Ben Hampton is our best option at fullback he has speed and will chime in better with the way we play.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
the only problem i have with Martin at the back is his inability to clean up the loose ball and i think he would go well in the centres, he is used to defending in the line and can bring more attack from this position.
Kahu is to slow to play fullback IMO - i think Ben Hampton is our best option at fullback he has speed and will chime in better with the way we play.
Hampton is just as error prone, if not more IMO. I think ideally at the moment both Hampton and TMM are somewhere though, they play whole hearted every game. If everyone else played with the same amount of energy as those two we would be doing much better.

I think a big cause of our problems could be the mobility of our pack. You look through the other NRL packs and a lot of the best ones have more mobility than ours. Why is Hess 114kg now? He was at his best in the U20s when he was a mobile wide running backrower, his weight back then was listed at 100kg. Now he looks slow and lethargic. He's 7cm shorter than Cooper but 6kg heavier. Compare the Roosters pack to ours, it's a huge difference in mobility.

Opposition teams open us up easily at the moment because we can't slide very well so they can get around us and if they change direction the players inside aren't mobile enough to close the gaps. The only way we've been successful this year is when everyone has been busting their arse for the whole time and putting everything into every play. I'm not sure if that's sustainable for the whole season. Even the best teams take the foot off the pedal at times throughout the season, they just have gun players who can break the game open to get them back on track, we don't have that at the moment. If we had a couple of smaller more mobile players in the pack it would alleviate a lot of strain on the big guys I think.

I'm not sure what solution to a lack of mobility is this year though. Tom Gilbert is someone who I think would help but he's only 18 and not even in the top 30. Jensen for Scott would give us more mobility but I wouldn't describe Jensen as a mobile forward.

Dunn is more mobile but has big issues with defence in the forwards, hasn't got that right yet.

Wright is pretty mobile and he's putting up big stats this year, might be worth giving him another go. I was never overly impressed with him in the past though.

I haven't seen a huge amount of Hola but mobility doesn't seem like his strength to me.

Last edited:

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
i just think Kahu is to slow for fullback and Hampton has the speed and has a crack i think his handling will improve with a bit of confidence at fullback, My thinking with TMM to the centres puts him in the line one position wider than usual however it will feel familiar to him, which will bring out his natural game in attack, his defence in the line is OK he puts his body in front of the opposition. At the moment we do not have any real strike centres. We desperately some speed out wide.

Reactions: CC

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
i just think Kahu is to slow for fullback and Hampton has the speed and has a crack i think his handling will improve with a bit of confidence at fullback, My thinking with TMM to the centres puts him in the line one position wider than usual however it will feel familiar to him, which will bring out his natural game in attack, his defence in the line is OK he puts his body in front of the opposition. At the moment we do not have any real strike centres. We desperately some speed out wide.
Yeah, I think all the backline changes we can make add something in one area but take something away in another area. Our squad right now is not good so we're kind of just trying to scrap a team together with what we've got. It's a bad situation.

I've been wondering how TMM would go at centre for a while, since Clifford was carving last year. I think he might be a bit too slight for it though, needs to add some size to his frame. He's not short but he's a bit lean. In saying that, I'd prefer him to have a go there than Hampton again. Ideally Tuala gets an extended go there and we see how he goes when we can play a bit more consistently. This is the problem with playing kids when you suck, they're just under pressure the whole time.

Maybe we need to find a way to get Kahu defending at fullback and TMM attacking there. I think if our forwards were dominant consistently and combos had time to form TMM would be making breaks up the middle. He has got through a couple of times. I don't think Kahu would be fast enough to get through the gaps. Hampton would, so i'm not against him getting a shot there.

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe another option at centre would be give Mitch Dunn a crack, by all reports he used to be a half, he is listed as 190cm / 99kg he has some pace as he has shown out of dummy half.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious so I just added together some weights of forward packs (from foxsports stats.)

I've compared the Bulldogs to us, as we played them last week and they made us look slow.
BulldogsCowboys
Tolman - 102kgScott - 110kg
Ogden - 102kgMcLean - 117kg
Martin - 103kgCooper - 108kg
Harawira-Naera - 100kgMcGuire - 104kg
Jackson - 99kgAsiata - 108kg
Fualalo - 115kgHess - 112kg
Elliot - 103kgBolton - 112kg
Smith - 104kgMolo - 110kg
Total: 828kgTotal: 881kg
Average: 103.5kgAverage: 110.12kg

I did the Roosters too and they are as small as the dogs, even more mobile though because they have an 80 minute hooker and have Aubusson on the bench to run at tired forwards. I didn't include him in the calculations and he's only 96kg.

103kg vs 110kg on average seems like a huge difference in size to me. Combine that with a slow backline and it seems obvious now why we look like a bunch of slow plodders. Our average weight would usually be higher too because Taumalolo is missing, who is 117kg.

Also, our best performing forward making the biggest impact is our lightest.

This makes me think we might be pushing shit up a hill and just have the wrong squad/physical conditioning for the game today.

We do alright making metres up the field but then it seems like all the forwards are buggered and don't have the energy to get bodies in motion and get quick play the balls in the attacking zone to create any sort of momentum for the halves to play off.

Contrary to this post, I just found this article on NRL.com, it seems plenty of forward packs are as big as ours, including the Storm and Rabbitohs, who are doing well. Maybe size doesn't matter, just how you use it - https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/19/biggest-losers-canberra-raiders-forwards-join-nrls-lightweight-packs/

Last edited:

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
We do seem pretty obsessed with our middle forwards. Our starting pack in round 1 was:

8. Scott
10. McLean
15. McGuire
12. Hess
13. Taumalolo

Sure we won that game, but that pack just looks so immobile just by looking at it. Even our backrowers seem to be big enough to play in the middle. We're stuck in 2014-15 where the power game reigned supreme. Interchanges have dropped and the game has evolved, yet we've been left behind. I wonder if Peter Parr is astute enough to compare our overall forward pack weight with other teams or does he just go by the amount of rep games they've played.

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious so I just added together some weights of forward packs (from foxsports stats.)

I've compared the Bulldogs to us, as we played them last week and they made us look slow.

Bulldogs
Tolman - 102kg
Ogden - 102kg
Martin - 103kg
Harawira-Naera - 100kg
Jackon - 99kg

Fualalo - 115kg
Elliot - 103kg
Smith - 104kg

Total: 828kg
Average: 103.5kg

Cowboys

Scott - 110kg
McLean - 117kg
Cooper - 108kg
McGuire - 104kg
Asiata - 108kg

Hess - 112kg
Bolton - 112kg
Molo - 110kg

Total: 881kg
Average: 110.12kg

I did the Roosters too and they are as small as the dogs, even more mobile though because they have an 80 minute hooker and have Aubusson on the bench to run at tired forwards. I didn't include him in the calculations and he's only 96kg.

103kg vs 110kg on average seems like a huge difference in size to me. Combine that with a slow backline and it seems obvious now why we look like a bunch of slow plodders. Our average weight would usually be higher too because Taumalolo is missing, who is 117kg.

This makes me think we're pushing shit up a hill and just have the wrong squad/physical conditioning for the game today.

We do alright making metres up the field but then it seems like all the forwards are buggered and don't have the energy to get bodies in motion and get quick play the balls in the attacking zone.
I agree that our forwards are plodders, however if we had good service from dummy half we would speed up the ruck forcing them to run onto the ball instead of getting the ball basically flat footed, that way they can use their bulk as an asset in attack rather than just using up the tackles.
Molo hits the ball at speed, maybe the rest of the forward pack should try running off the back fence i bit more and also fight to get to your feet a bit quicker, our forwards have no fear factor (NO AGRO).

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
It's be Green 1-17 as last week if Lolo and Feldt are still out.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this team needs a make-over much like between 2010 to 2012. We made big decisions back then including LOD leave IIRC.

Thurman Merman

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score

BulldogsCowboys
Tolman - 102kgScott - 110kg
Ogden - 102kgMcLean - 117kg
Martin - 103kgCooper - 108kg
Harawira-Naera - 100kgMcGuire - 104kg
Jackson - 99kgAsiata - 108kg
Fualalo - 115kgHess - 112kg
Elliot - 103kgBolton - 112kg
Smith - 104kgMolo - 110kg
Total: 828kgTotal: 881kg
Average: 103.5kgAverage: 110.12kg

Also, our best performing forward making the biggest impact is our lightest.

This makes me think we're pushing shit up a hill and just have the wrong squad/physical conditioning for the game today.

We do alright making metres up the field but then it seems like all the forwards are buggered and don't have the energy to get bodies in motion and get quick play the balls in the attacking zone to create any sort of momentum for the halves to play off.

Contrary to this post, I just found this article on NRL.com, it seems plenty of forward packs are as big as ours, including the Storm and Rabbitohs, who are doing well. Maybe size doesn't matter, just how you use it - https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/19/biggest-losers-canberra-raiders-forwards-join-nrls-lightweight-packs/
Interesting. What was Green's strategy when he won Q Cup titles? Was it also power (plodder) based?

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Interesting. What was Green's strategy when he won Q Cup titles? Was it also power (plodder) based?
He had Charlie Gubb back then though. Maybe Green should try and lure him with Holmes' money

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
He had Charlie Gubb back then though. Maybe Green should try and lure him with Holmes' money
Wasn’t there rumours going around last year that we had signed him? Big fan of the Gubb. Unfortunately I’m pretty sure he fell out of love with the game and has retired.