Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 5 Cowboys (H) v Storm - Teams & Discussion

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Yep. The NRL need to be held accountable. It’s one thing making mistakes with regards to officiating. But it’s another thing to make mistakes with regards to player welfare. Can’t even imagine how much pain poor nene was in until ambo’s were finally allowed onto the field and administer pain relief.
I am sure they would have listened if it was Cameron Smith telling them to stop the game.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Just heard the audio of the discussion had in game by the officials with regards to Nene’s injury.

Touch judge: “Grant we have two Blue players down injured, requesting to stop for medical attention”

Grant Atkins: “Acknowledge mate, let me just ask the boss.

Grant Atkins: “Boss requesting immediate stoppage of play for injury to 2 blue players”

Senior referee official:

View attachment 1307
I would laugh if it wasn't so true....

Spiral

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
First we get gifted an absolutely ridiculous try off a forward pass and then that. We lost for a multitude of reasons so no need to whinge on that front, but they should hang their heads in shame for that last stretch.

I thought we’d be pumped but by god we showed some fight. Let’s make something out of this now!

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Frank Molo had a break out game. He’s only 24 also, younger than Jensen.

Could be quite good going forward.

Reactions: CC

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Like, what 8-9 months younger? Jensen just turned 25. They're basically the same age lol.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
In our recent history having thumper and JT skipper the side, they were really good at talking to the referees and being the voice on behalf of the side on field to referees. Rarely, if at all would you see our players (who weren’t captain) on field jump the chain of command and directly speak to referees, or attempt to interrupt a one on one conversation between captain and ref, to add their 2 cents in.

Something that caught my eye in the aftermath of Nene’s injury. Morgo was having a one on one discussion with the referee with nobody else involved. Kahu felt the need to walk over to the pair, and attempt to add his 2 cents into the conversation.

To Morgo’s credit he politely tells Kahu to f*** off:

Now I might be over analysing this, but this to me is a lack of respect/acceptance for the skipper by Kahu. In the days of Thumper/JT captaining, you wouldn’t dare see any of the boys approach a one on one conversation between captain/ref let alone a bloke who’s been at the club for 8 weeks doing that.

If a bloke who’s been at the club for 8 weeks feels he can talk over and interrupt the skipper talking to the referee, does that mean more senior players who’ve been at the club longer feel that way too? Makes me wonder if Morgo has been fully accepted as our skipper or if there’s a slight adjustment period where the boys are getting used to it.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
In our recent history having thumper and JT skipper the side, they were really good at talking to the referees and being the voice on behalf of the side on field to referees. Rarely, if at all would you see our players (who weren’t captain) on field jump the chain of command and directly speak to referees, or attempt to interrupt a one on one conversation between captain and ref, to add their 2 cents in.

Something that caught my eye in the aftermath of Nene’s injury. Morgo was having a one on one discussion with the referee with nobody else involved. Kahu felt the need to walk over to the pair, and attempt to add his 2 cents into the conversation.

View attachment 1310

View attachment 1308

View attachment 1309

Now I might be over analysing this, but this to me is a lack of respect/acceptance for the skipper by Kahu. In the days of Thumper/JT captaining, you wouldn’t dare see any of the boys approach a one on one conversation between captain/ref let alone a bloke who’s been at the club for 8 weeks doing that.

If a bloke who’s been at the club for 8 weeks feels he can talk over and interrupt the skipper talking to the referee, does that mean more senior players who’ve been at the club longer feel that way too? Makes me wonder if Morgo has been fully accepted as our skipper or if there’s a slight adjustment period where the boys are getting used to it.
I wouldn't over analyse that. It would've been pretty obvious on the field that it was a bad injury. Emotion would've been running high. Definitely extenuating circumstances there imo. Lucky I wasn't at 1300 as I'd have overthrown the skipper as well and instigated a riot after that debacle.

Last edited:

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Respect to Molo for making a linebreak.

I've probably disregarded him a bit in the past but it's obvious he has trained hard in the off season. That's what you want. A lot of the time we criticise players and basically write them off without taking into account the amount of work these guys put into their own game in their spare time.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Respect to Molo for making a linebreak.

I've probably disregarded him a bit in the past but it's obvious he has trained hard in the off season. That's what you want. A lot of the time we criticise players and basically write them off without taking into account the amount of work these guys put into their own game in their spare time.
He’s definitely locking down a bench spot.

Re: Kahu. He was just concerned for his mate, Nene. If you watched his latest YouTube vlog, him and Nene have spent time together off the field recently and seem like they are mates off the field.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Switched off after Scotts 2nd offload went to ground. Thought it was a much imrpoved effort. Still didn't have the attributes for the killer blow to control the game

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
f***, just read the injury to Nene. How bad was the controversy?

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Pretty good game from the Cowboys considering Melbourne Storm are the front runners of the comp. As Green said, if we keep playing like that we will start winning. Also, a lot of improvement can be made with execution. Forwards starting to work with a real hooker. Just need more strike from the backs.

I also reckon the two halves will start to work better together very shortly. Fingers crossed.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I also reckon the two halves will start to work better together very shortly. Fingers crossed.
There were good signs early, but it seemed like Clifford went back into his shell in the 2nd half. He did well in D and made some good tackles but don't think he touched the ball much at all in the 2nd half.

As the year goes on he's going to have to learn how to stay consistently involved over 80 minutes.

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Greeny didn't mention #notfaroff last night in the press conference. Perhaps we are there

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
There were good signs early, but it seemed like Clifford went back into his shell in the 2nd half. He did well in D and made some good tackles but don't think he touched the ball much at all in the 2nd half.

As the year goes on he's going to have to learn how to stay consistently involved over 80 minutes.
That will sort itself out long-term (imo). Clifford is our long-term 7, and that means Morgan will be our long-term 6 (or even back to 1).

Clifford has the skill set to be a dominant half. Through more NRL experience and a permanent shift to halfback, he will be a lot more involved in our plays. Playing at 6 might mean he stays more passive.

Morgan has some of the skills to be a dominant halfback (including a good kicking game), but it takes him away from his running game, and involving his edge players. This would not be a demotion. Lockyer was a superstar from 6, and JT played there in representative footy.

It might be too early to make the switch and trust the team in Clifford's hands, but long-term, I am convinced it will play to both Clifford and Morgan's strengths respectively.

Last edited:

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1310

View attachment 1308

View attachment 1309

It will take time for Morgan to be accepted as captain. Authority doesn't happen over night because somebody was given a leadership role. A young bad boy Johnathan Thurston was made captain at a very young age, and I don't think he was necessarily respected either. He was young, he was out having too much fun on weekends etc and he probably wasn't the most encouraging to his team mates when they made errors. But as we know, he became an leader on and off the field over time (helped by Thumper and Cooper).

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Haven't been that angry with a game in a while. I just hate the Storm, can't stand the look of their players. Lost count of the amount of times I wanted to punch Munster in the face last night. The media love for him at the moment is sickening. They always have their flavour of the month (or year) and
there's no doubt that a Dally M for him is a foregone conclusion.

The way they got away with holding us down in that last minute is ridiculous. The time should be stopped or even put back on the clock imo. They were intentionally conceding penalties knowing we needed a try. If Brisbane did that to us in 2015 in that last minute we don't win the grand final. It's just against the spirit of the game - something which is only too common for those scumbags.

I still believe the Roosters are the benchmark of the competition. Hopefully they'll put the Storm to the sword next week.

On us, much improved performance. I was proud of the boys. I was worried we'd get beaten by 50 but our guys showed a lot of heart. It's a shame about Nene. -that's going to be a tough injury to come back from.

We looked a bit disjointed at times but at least now we're heading in the right direction. Just a couple of things let us down. TMM has to work hard and get that mistake out of his game. If he does that, he'll be good for us. Not sure what Scott was doing with those offloads. Was just unnecessary. Baptiste was promising for his first game. Nothing special, but was good having a hooker who could actually pass the ball properly.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't been that angry with a game in a while. I just hate the Storm, can't stand the look of their players. Lost count of the amount of times I wanted to punch Munster in the face last night. The media love for him at the moment is sickening. They always have their flavour of the month (or year) and
there's no doubt that a Dally M for him is a foregone conclusion.

The way they got away with holding us down in that last minute is ridiculous. The time should be stopped or even put back on the clock imo. They were intentionally conceding penalties knowing we needed a try. If Brisbane did that to us in 2015 in that last minute we don't win the grand final. It's just against the spirit of the game - something which is only too common for those scumbags.

I still believe the Roosters are the benchmark of the competition. Hopefully they'll put the Storm to the sword next week.

On us, much improved performance. I was proud of the boys. I was worried we'd get beaten by 50 but our guys showed a lot of heart. It's a shame about Nene. -that's going to be a tough injury to come back from.

We looked a bit disjointed at times but at least now we're heading in the right direction. Just a couple of things let us down. TMM has to work hard and get that mistake out of his game. If he does that, he'll be good for us. Not sure what Scott was doing with those offloads. Was just unnecessary. Baptiste was promising for his first game. Nothing special, but was good having a hooker who could actually pass the ball properly.
Don't rule out Luke Keary and Josh Hodgson for the Dally M. But you are right, it is sickening the way they carry on about Munster. He is overrated as a player, and is far from a 'best and fairest' kind of player.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Now I might be over analysing this, but this to me is a lack of respect/acceptance for the skipper by Kahu.
Coops walked up at one point as well and was told to go away. I doubt its respect thing, the players were just mad. Definitely over analysing.