Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 4 Cowboys (H) v Raiders - Teams & Discussion

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
One reason to be optimistic will be the return of Feldt and JT. But even then they will have to regain match fitness over time (maybe not an issue for man god JT).

However, they were also part of our dreadful 2018, so again the inclusion of individuals only does so much.

Bongohead667

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I don't disagree with any of your post.

The optimism I'm clinging to is based on how terrible we've been at times in some of our relatively successful seasons under Green. There is every possibility that he has lost the dressing room but the on field performance has looked just as forlorn plenty of other times, even in 2015, and we've come back from it.

We're definitely on the wrong trajectory at the moment though, there needs to be a big turn around to get near the 8. I think we can do it with the players we have, Green and the other staff have to get them performing properly.

I think there's a chance the coach has been undermined by those above him too. The structural changes to the football department last year were widely reported and to me it was a bit of a crossroads. One path could have led to Green being free from a lot of his off field duties so he could focus on whatever his strengths were, the other path led to a loss of authority and control. From what I've seen of Green he likes to be in control of as much as possible and wouldn't take well to his role being diminished.

I think he has seemed a bit different to his usual confident self in press conferences this year. It could be because he's under pressure or it could be that he isn't happy that some of the control has been taken away from him. As soon as the coaches authority is undermined it's probably time for all parties to cut their losses and move on.

So while I show an air of optimism, that's not all I'm looking at and thinking about.
It could also explain the motivation problems. The playing group knows his power has been reduced and if someone else is putting his beak in on how the team plays then it could be a real mess in there.

samuraipolice

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
The days where jt would take over and win it by himself are over unfortunately. Morgan played very well tonight however.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Score line doesn't reflect the improvement unfortunately.

Cliff showed a lot tonight. Dunn came on when we are under scoreline pressure, so can't fault him for trying stuff.

Never thought I'd say this lately, but Granville was one of our best for mine.
The Raiders were imploding a little there in the second half. The scoreline was a little flattering. Can't wait to see Melbourne and the bucket of lube we'll need next week if we play like this again

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I didn't see game as I was working, but based on the comments here & the score I don't think I'll bother

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Sydney Cowboy

Junior
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Watching the eels and sharks and they are light years ahead of us, playing with speed and power

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Our start was disgusting considering the response that was required after the last two weeks shit show they’ve put on. Took us 25 minutes to get into the game which is not acceptable and had me livid. It was refreshing to see our effort and fight we put up in the second half to get back into the contest, but at the end of the day our ball control and poor cohesion let us down. Apart from Morgan taking it to the line and poking through an offload for a forward in support we are utterly clueless, and easily look like one of the worst sides in attack in the competition with the dogs and tits. It’ll improve in time but by then our season will be well and truly over (if it isn’t already). Somebody needs to put their hand up on 5th tackle options. We’re far too reliant on Morgo. It amazed me the stupidity of our side continually going to Morgo when kicking inside our own half, and the opposition pre empting it time and time again and putting enough pressure on him to force a poor kick.

It’s clear our ‘world class pack’ is only world class on paper. Changes are in order next week given we’ve started poorly in every match this season thus far. It is no suprises that we’ve been playing our best footy (which is still below par) when particular forwards come on. Asiata needs to start at lock. Molo or Jensen will replace Scott next week in the starting pack. We cannot keep persisting with Scott. We’re getting bugger all out of him in his opening stint.

It is obvious we need to make a lot of changes but don’t have the cattle to bring them in. I would like to see something like this as of next week. It sounds like Green is at his wits end and will he dropping some of his favourite under performing sons.

01. Hampton
02. Nene
03. Tuala
04. Kahu
05. Bowen
06. Clifford
07. Morgan
08. Jensen
09. Baptise
10. McLean
11. Cooper
12. Hess
13. Asiata

14. McGuire
15. Molo
16. Dunn
17. Pere/Hola

Make no mistake about it, our season is well and truly f****d. I hope we spend the remainder of it developing our kids and getting games into them, as we start to faze out the older heads. Hopefully we get Val in the next month, and we can really start to work on our 1.6,7 combo so it’s good to go for next year. Times are tough, and more losses like the ones today are coming. But it’s what makes moments like 2015 feel on so good. Frustrating times ahead no doubt, but hopefully clear skies not too far away as well.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Our start was disgusting considering the response that was required after the last two weeks shit show they’ve put on. Took us 25 minutes to get into the game which is not acceptable and had me livid. It was refreshing to see our effort and fight we put up in the second half to get back into the contest, but at the end of the day our ball control and poor cohesion let us down. Apart from Morgan taking it to the line and poking through an offload for a forward in support we are utterly clueless, and easily look like one of the worst sides in attack in the competition with the dogs and tits. It’ll improve in time but by then our season will be well and truly over (if it isn’t already). Somebody needs to put their hand up on 5th tackle options. We’re far too reliant on Morgo. It amazed me the stupidity of our side continually going to Morgo when kicking inside our own half, and the opposition pre empting it time and time again and putting enough pressure on him to force a poor kick.

It’s clear our ‘world class pack’ is only world class on paper. Changes are in order next week given we’ve started poorly in every match this season thus far. It is no suprises that we’ve been playing our best footy (which is still below par) when particular forwards come on. Asiata needs to start at lock. Molo or Jensen will replace Scott next week in the starting pack. We cannot keep persisting with Scott. We’re getting bugger all out of him in his opening stint.

It is obvious we need to make a lot of changes but don’t have the cattle to bring them in. I would like to see something like this as of next week. It sounds like Green is at his wits end and will he dropping some of his favourite under performing sons.

01. Hampton
02. Nene
03. Tuala
04. Kahu
05. Bowen
06. Clifford
07. Morgan
08. Jensen
09. Baptise
10. McLean
11. Cooper
12. Hess
13. Asiata

14. McGuire
15. Molo
16. Dunn
17. Pere/Hola

Make no mistake about it, our season is well and truly f****d. I hope we spend the remainder of it developing our kids and getting games into them, as we start to faze out the older heads. Hopefully we get Val in the next month, and we can really start to work on our 1.6,7 combo so it’s good to go for next year. Times are tough, and more losses like the ones today are coming. But it’s what makes moments like 2015 feel on so good. Frustrating times ahead no doubt, but hopefully clear skies not too far away as well.
Yes. Good team selection. Lets give it a go.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
If Baptiste isn't ready, bring Cotter in on the bench. There has to be pressure on Granville, Dunn isn't a long term option there.

Start Asiata and have Dunn sub with him.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
If Baptiste isn't ready, bring Cotter in on the bench. There has to be pressure on Granville, Dunn isn't a long term option there.

Start Asiata and have Dunn sub with him.
Think Cotters main priority is putting games together and getting good minutes at QCup. Given his injury history the last few years its probably best for his development.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Anyone know what crowd we drew today? Looked pathetic, and you know it is as much when they won’t include it in any of the match reports posted online...

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Score line doesn't reflect the improvement unfortunately.

Cliff showed a lot tonight. Dunn came on when we are under scoreline pressure, so can't fault him for trying stuff.

Never thought I'd say this lately, but Granville was one of our best for mine.
Granville was dead set awful in the first 20.

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Unfortunately the writing has been on the wall since Hampton was in our best 5 players last year. He was a spare parts player at the Storm and is being forced into a main parts player here. At least, overall, he has been relatively solid.

Hess is a shell, Matt Scott should just be playing 25 off the bench, Kahu wasn't being considered for a top 17 position at the Broncos and where is the Jordan McLean who played at the end of 2018?

Look, they could turn it around, but why the lacklustre start season after season?

Maybe Granville to regain some of his Wynum Manly mojo at fullback until Val Holmes returns home.

CairnsCow

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
I am just watching the end of the game on Kayo. What the fukk do you play Granville 65min straight then bring on an inexperienced player in the last 15 to finish the game when it was close, I don't understand what is doing, You can do Gran 30 Dun 10 Dun 10 Gran 30 fresh to to finish the game. there are so many combinations other than what was delivered.