Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 4 Cowboys (H) v Raiders - Teams & Discussion

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Whenever Corey Parker’s shit commentary pisses me off, I just remember how we beat him in the GF and ended his career in back to back years and all is good.
I read his book. Didn't have a big opinion of him before I read it and thought he was even more of a f***wit after.

Spiral

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I’d like to say we didn’t deserve this scoreline but maybe we do. Seriously, f***ing shelve the god damn f***ing grubbers at the line. Twice tonight now and two tries conceded off the back of them.

Bongohead667

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Again, we seem to be blaming the young blokes. Where were the experienced blokes that got us behind by 12?

Dunn made some errors but he was trying his best.
Our "massive international pack" is our biggest problem. Very rare for a team to win the forward battle and lose the game. If they ever decide to pull their fingers out as a unit we'll start winning again.

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Score line doesn't reflect the improvement unfortunately.

Cliff showed a lot tonight. Dunn came on when we are under scoreline pressure, so can't fault him for trying stuff.

Never thought I'd say this lately, but Granville was one of our best for mine.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
So, when we get pumped by Melbourne next week, what are the odds Green gets the full support of the board?

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Our "massive international pack" is our biggest problem. Very rare for a team to win the forward battle and lose the game. If they ever decide to pull their fingers out as a unit we'll start winning again.
Pack has been pretty good tonight if you're willing to look past the first 15

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Well, at least the Mustangs haven’t been shit in the Supercars this season...

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Rough end to the game, but we did compete with them really well for about 50 minutes of the game. Some unfortunate errors at big moments from younger blokes but it is what it is.

I would consider it an improvement in general but still many wrinkles and rough spots to iron out before we're going to win games.

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Granville needs to go he just passes the ball to Morgan, how the f*** is Clifford supposed to get in the game if the dummy half (emphasis on dummy ) does not pass him the ball. We should spend money on a decent hooker and better than average fullback because Val Holmes is good but he will not fix our problem.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Bad scoreline but I think only a few crucial moments led to that loss.

We were competitive and could have taken that game but just couldn't finish it off.

They need to get over whatever is making them play so sluggishly in patches and physically compete for the whole game.

There's no way we're winning the comp this year but I think there's still a chance to turn it around and fight for the bottom of the 8, where I originally thought they'd be.

I hope they can improve on the few positives we saw and come back better next week.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
anyone want to blame the afl bloke from WA that has joined the HP unit?

i need a scapegoat other than Granville.....

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
anyone want to blame the afl bloke from WA that has joined the HP unit?

i need a scapegoat other than Granville.....
I still think you're onto something blaming the jersey

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Bad scoreline but I think only a few crucial moments led to that loss.

We were competitive and could have taken that game but just couldn't finish it off.

They need to get over whatever is making them play so sluggishly in patches and physically compete for the whole game.

There's no way we're winning the comp this year but I think there's still a chance to turn it around and fight for the bottom of the 8, where I originally thought they'd be.

I hope they can improve on the few positives we saw and come back better next week.
It is good you are your optimistic self, because I can't see anything but spoonville at present. Mainly because I can't see where the improvement comes from.

We may be able to play well for five to ten minute patches. But they are always undone by poor errors, and offset by periods of terrible twenty minute periods where the opposition can score at will. This was a feature of last year and there is no sign of that abating.

There is absolutely no light on the horizon that this will change anytime soon. The formline is just far too long.

It starts with the forwards who get completely dominated. We can call for changes, such as Jensen to start, but he is just one player. The malaise is too wide to combat with individual changes. Age and non-performance are a dreadful weight across the pack.

The situation comes across more and more that this is a playing group just not responding to their coach. Green has already stated publicly that he has issues motivating his players. This has been evident in these past two seasons.

There would be no shame in moving on from Green at the end of the season. Six years is a good run at the helm, with a fantastic record of achievement behind him. Both parties can go away with a refresh that they both look like they could use.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'm not quite so pessimistic about this season yet, but it really does seem like the writing is on the wall for Green.

We only resigned him last year, would be a hefty pay out to cut him loose now. I think that alone will see him through this year at least, but it's hard to see him continuing into 2020 if we have another bludger year.

Definitely seems like we need a freshen up around the club though, not seeing any new ideas so far this season.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
It is good you are your optimistic self, because I can't see anything but spoonville at present. Mainly because I can't see where the improvement comes from.

We may be able to play well for five to ten minute patches. But they are always undone by poor errors, and offset by periods of terrible twenty minute periods where the opposition can score at will. This was a feature of last year and there is no sign of that abating.

There is absolutely no light on the horizon that this will change anytime soon. The formline is just far too long.

It starts with the forwards who get completely dominated. We can call for changes, such as Jensen to start, but he is just one player. The malaise is too wide to combat with individual changes. Age and non-performance are a dreadful weight across the pack.

The situation comes across more and more that this is a playing group just not responding to their coach. Green has already stated publicly that he has issues motivating his players. This has been evident in these past two seasons.

There would be no shame in moving on from Green at the end of the season. Six years is a good run at the helm, with a fantastic record of achievement behind him. Both parties can go away with a refresh that they both look like they could use.
I don't disagree with any of your post.

The optimism I'm clinging to is based on how terrible we've been at times in some of our relatively successful seasons under Green. There is every possibility that he has lost the dressing room but the on field performance has looked just as forlorn plenty of other times, even in 2015, and we've come back from it.

We're definitely on the wrong trajectory at the moment though, there needs to be a big turn around to get near the 8. I think we can do it with the players we have, Green and the other staff have to get them performing properly.

I think there's a chance the coach has been undermined by those above him too. The structural changes to the football department last year were widely reported and to me it was a bit of a crossroads. One path could have led to Green being free from a lot of his off field duties so he could focus on whatever his strengths were, the other path led to a loss of authority and control. From what I've seen of Green he likes to be in control of as much as possible and wouldn't take well to his role being diminished.

I think he has seemed a bit different to his usual confident self in press conferences this year. It could be because he's under pressure or it could be that he isn't happy that some of the control has been taken away from him. As soon as the coaches authority is undermined it's probably time for all parties to cut their losses and move on.

So while I show an air of optimism, that's not all I'm looking at and thinking about.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

fire him at the end of this year and he has 2 years to run on his NQ contract. No doubt he would be owed his full $2mil.He’s already sued us once before, he’d do it again if he had to. Not sure we could afford to pay 2 coaches at once tbh, there is a football department cap these days as well so god knows how we manage it if it came to it.

I have nfi what goes on behind closed doors but f*** me they look lethargic and sloppy. Hess was actually alright for most of the game. Rubbish at DH again, rubbish at FB (it’s not his fault). forwards dominated and a vanilla bland backline that wouldn’t threaten the 1995 side.

strap in boys and girls, she’s gonna be a long couple of seasons.

Last edited: