Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 3 Cowboys (H) v Sharks - Teams & Discussion

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Watched part of a replay this morning, McLean is really a "win more" type of player. By that I mean when we are going well he helps press our advantage, but when we are on the back foot you cannot count on him to take a tough carry or help turn the ship around.

Compare to someone like Tamou who, for all his faults, would noticeably try to lift the side when we were struggling
His second stint after returning from injury last year was great, and he lead our forwards. In fact I think he as probably our best player in the last month.

So far this feels like his first stint, in that he seems either injured or disinterested.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Has that been reported somewhere and I missed it? Last I read he was director of football or whatever, taking care of off field stuff. I doubt Parr has control over team selection. There's no way the head coach wouldn't be in complete control of that.

There was an official release on the club's website but it's not there anymore. Was just the vibe I got. Was mainly with off-field stuff but I got the impression at the time it was on field as well.

“I’ve asked Peter to put a position forward on our structures,” Lancini said. “He and ‘Greeny’ will work on a plan. We’ve already had some discussions and over the coming weeks and months we will implement plans to make us a force again next year.
“In layman’s terms, ‘Parry’ is now the top dog in our football department.
Parr added: “I will be looking at everything. We will be investigating how we train, how we play, our off-field methods. What we’ve been doing has worked for us for a number of years so we don’t want to rip the club apart, but evolution is important.
“It is my job to ensure that Paul Green and the playing staff get the resources they need to do their job properly.

On a positive note, at least Greeny has the full support of the board.

Thurman Merman

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Would Green ever switch Granville to fullback if he needs to be in his top 13? Should lead to better service from whoever plays 9.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Would Green ever switch Granville to fullback if he needs to be in his top 13? Should lead to better service from whoever plays 9.
I think he'd be terrible there these days, he was a lot lighter and faster when he used to play there, wouldn't have the motor for it any more.

Bongohead667

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
If we could find a replacement starting hooker i reckon granville would shine as bench utility. He could come on and run himself ragged for 20-30mins causing chaos to the opposition then go back to the bench for a long rest.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Watched part of a replay this morning, McLean is really a "win more" type of player. By that I mean when we are going well he helps press our advantage, but when we are on the back foot you cannot count on him to take a tough carry or help turn the ship around.

Compare to someone like Tamou who, for all his faults, would noticeably try to lift the side when we were struggling
Are you sure he isn't just another Melbourne product. Seems awesome when part of that well drilled unit.... Leaves and is pedestrian.

KirwanKrazy

Junior
Reaction score
Time for Greeny & Granville to go. Hess needs a stint in reserve grade.

Kahu is proving why the donkeys were keen to let him go. This season has turned into a farce and these past two years have been back to the old days - bottom of the ladder, big losses and getting kicked around by big brother Broncos.

Something has to change!!!

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
When does the pressure mount on Parr too?

Not forgetting how important he has been for the club over the past couple of decades, his legendary status is set in stone, but he was heavily involved throughout the bad periods as well as the good.

Not saying he is the issue as we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but questions need to be asked. He's rarely brought up when we talk about an overhaul, usually it's just the coach and players.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Parry.

Difficult to say. We don't know exactly what role he played. Of the wonderful players we have lost over the last few years, how much say did he have? Unknown?

Backs.

Sick and tired of reading about this back and that back not pulling their weight. Sort out the problems in the forwards and then we will be able to see how the backs are going.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
As supporters/fans we would be up in arms (& rightly so) if it was suggested to sack JT, Thumper, Mango or any other club legend, so why shouldn't Parr be afforded the same respect for his years of service. I seem to remember some rumours that Parramatta were hunting him & IIRC there was a bit of uproar on here at the prospect.

The team performance has to rest solely on players & coach and Green has hit a tough patch. This is his chance to show his mettle & fix it.

Now in saying that, if Parr is responsible for recruitment then yes he does have some responsibility for the current state of affairs, though would've thought the coach would list the players he wants & Parr's job is to try & get there signature.

Our recruitment strategy has been shit & it's really starting to show

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
As supporters/fans we would be up in arms (& rightly so) if it was suggested to sack JT, Thumper, Mango or any other club legend, so why shouldn't Parr be afforded the same respect for his years of service. I seem to remember some rumours that Parramatta were hunting him & IIRC there was a bit of uproar on here at the prospect.

The team performance has to rest solely on players & coach and Green has hit a tough patch. This is his chance to show his mettle & fix it.

Now in saying that, if Parr is responsible for recruitment then yes he does have some responsibility for the current state of affairs, though would've thought the coach would list the players he wants & Parr's job is to try & get there signature.

Our recruitment strategy has been shit & it's really starting to show

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Mango was let go. He wanted to stay. Ended up playing for Wigan.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Parry.

Difficult to say. We don't know exactly what role he played. Of the wonderful players we have lost over the last few years, how much say did he have? Unknown?

Backs.

Sick and tired of reading about this back and that back not pulling their weight. Sort out the problems in the forwards and then we will be able to see how the backs are going.
Yeah, it's kind of both though. Backs aren't taking the ball forward well enough and making mini-breaks to give the forwards a break. Forwards aren't creating a roll on to give the backs room.

We are kind of in all worlds of sh*t, although it's only week 3.

Eaglestreetcowboy

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
To be fair to McLean he is still carrying that Lisfranc injury, very difficult to rise and be at your best with an injury like that

nahla

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Kid down at melbourne stuck behind the old guy and brandon,names harry grant he goes real well and lets be honest how longs he going to wait for any chance?...But green loves granville hes not going anywhere...does anyone rate ross bella?..thought he was a standout against wynnum in a well beaten team.