Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 3 Cowboys (H) v Sharks - Teams & Discussion

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Green laboured on and on in the press conference about Clifford's kick that went dead at the beginning of the half. Honestly he didn't shut up about it. As if this one error was the direct cause of all that followed.

But really this is the kind of mistake we've seen from numerous players on numerous occasions over the past few years. No mention of more costly errors like McGuire being offside stupidly, or Martin watching a bloke score without a care in the world. Errors that actually cost us points.

Why the need to make such a fuss about this one?

I'm really worried about Green's state of mind right now. He does not seem to be in a rational place at all. A complete mess of contradictions and hypocrisy.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Green laboured on and on in the press conference about Clifford's kick that went dead at the beginning of the half. Honestly he didn't shut up about it. As if this one error was the direct cause of all that followed.

But really this is the kind of mistake we've seen from numerous players on numerous occasions over the past few years. No mention of more costly errors like McGuire being offside stupidly, or Martin watching a bloke score without a care in the world. Errors that actually cost us points.

I'm really worried about Green's state of mind right now. He does not seem to be in a rational place at all. A complete mess of contradictions and hypocrisy.
Is there a different cut of the press conference to the one on the Cowboys website? Ignore this if there's a different cut but if not I think you misunderstood.

He only mentioned it once because it was the first error of the half we didn't defend. Then he was going on about defending errors in general, not that one specific error.

Last edited:

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I've always had a soft spot for Granville, I honestly think without Granville we don't win the premiership in 2015, not only was he one of our best players in the GF but he also single handedly won us several games throughout that season where we we were behind with only minutes on the clock.

I know he seems on a rapid downward spiral at the moment, but he was a great hooker if not one of the best in 2015.
2015 he was great. Totally robbed of the Clive Churchill as they heaped everything on to Thurston they could at the first and only opportunity they had.

Now, he is the reason our attack is woeful and has been for years. Get him gone!

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Have had a little bit of time to let the dust settle and gather my thoughts on the abomination that was our performance against Cronulla.

- Haven’t seen us drop our bundle like that in two consecutive weeks for quite some time. Sure we’ve had back to back losses, but it’s the way we’ve gone about the last two games which is deeply concerning.

- I’ve all but conceded we will probably miss the 8 this year. We simply don’t have the cattle in key positions at the moment. Recruitment the last couple of years, in particular this off season has been a huge failure.

- Kahu will go down as one our most pointless and worst signings in the last 10 years. It’s hard to even accept him as one of our own given he’s using this opportunity as an audition for his venture over to rugby.

- Thumper needs to be relegated to our bench. His work rate is ordinary at best in the 50-55 minutes he plays. He’s yet to bust a tackle this year which is pretty telling. We need somebody who looks to be busy and can bend a line, especially with lolo out.

- Hess needs to come off the bench. He’s not an 80 minute edge backrower. He simply doesn’t have the gas tank for it, and his fatigue costs us in defence time and time again. He’s at his best when he’s off the bench coming on fresh against tired oppoositon.

- Te Maire Martin is a reserve grader at best. There’s not one side in the NRL where he’d walk into another clubs spine (even the dogs ffs) yet here we are seeing him play 6 and 1 in the last two weeks. Really highlights how weak our squad is in terms of key positions.

- We all need to collectively start death riding Valentines NFL stunt. Selfish I know, but we desperately need him. It’d be shattering if we couldn’t get him back in time for next season.

- Thank you for your service Granville. It’s time for us to move on. I really hope we’re looking at Segeyaro, Robson or even one of the Brailey boys. We are in desperate need of somebody who knows how to pass. In terms of a short term solution, I hope Baptise is fit enough to come in next week. I predicted pre season he’d be our best signing and he could very well be our most important one if he can come in and do a job.

- What a piss poor crowd today. Hope our town hasn’t gotten used to success and have turned into fickle glory hunters that we see with most of the sydney clubs. There’s nothing going on in townsville so I can’t see any excuses for today’s dismal crowd?

- Has Green got the answers? It’s hard to say given the disruptions of our pre season and generally having an ordinary spine, but nothing I’ve seen in attack suggests we’ve improved on last year. We started offloading a lot in the first two weeks but put it away against Cronulla. I’m beginning to lose faith in Green. At the start of the week we saw him do something we’ve never really seen him do - lose patience and make mass changes. I think he’s well aware of the situation our squad is in and consequently is feeling the effects of trying to come up with an answer. I love what he’s done for the club and the culture he’s enstilled here, but everyone has an expiration date. Little birdy is whispering Kristian Woolf might be back to townsville sooner rather than later if another poor season ensues...

Bongohead667

Bench Warmer
Reaction score

It sounded like he was looking for a reason to drop him again and found it. c**** move if true.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Seems to be a pervasive attitude of wanting...
...to have a little dance before backing into the opposition, rather than hitting it TF up!
Stop stepping and hit the effin' line (with a good pass from dunny half).

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Reuben Cotter killed it in the trials at 9, he keeps getting forgotten about when asking about potential DH’s. Can’t hurt to give him a crack.

edbeek

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Reuben Cotter killed it in the trials at 9, he keeps getting forgotten about when asking about potential DH’s. Can’t hurt to give him a crack.
I thought he was great last week for the Cutters. He's got some zip out of DH.
He'd have to take the final spot in our Top30 if we want to use him before July though.

Baptiste had his first game back yesterday, but I think he needs a few more games in ISC.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He is splitting game time with Jayden Hodges at the Cutters, wish we could get him somewhere he can get a reliable 80 every week. Big ask to throw him in at NRL level when he isn't getting full games at Q Cup.

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
2018 deja vu. What a horrible performance. And I'm not even talking about how bog average and slow and predictable the attack looked. We never had a successful effort in a defensive set to try and smash the Sharks in their end. Like 2018, it might be 3 big tackles in a row and then a lazy shift saw the Sharks stroll 40 metres up field.

Hess doesn't look to have done much to improve his defence, Granville's smaller size gets targeted and who would have thought, Hampton got run over in the centres. Morgan needs to be everywhere, circa 2017.

Last edited:

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Well, that’s going to do me for a week of footy. It’s such a rotten feeling getting this worked up over a game but what can you do.

Well done to Friendly Shark’s mob. We were pretty caught up in how shit we were but they don’t put 40 on us without playing half decent themselves. Always have time for genuinely nice opposition fans, so on a night when we’re basically suicidal at least someone else is having a better time of it!

Let’s gone Cowboys next week.
Need more " Great MAN "

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He played this afternoon, came off the bench and played 30ish minutes I heard.
I watched it on the Jet's Live Stream. His service was faster but he was as rusty as. Still a few weeks away or " Notfaroff"

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Green always talks about confidence and lack of it. He spoke about it a lot last year also. Why? What sort of mentality does the team have if their confidence is always wavering? How the hell can confidence be an issue when you are up at half time?

Unless, lack of confidence is code for lack of one or a combination of the following: strategy, fitness and ability.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
It is much easier to say "it's a confidence thing" than it is to say "I don't have the answers to our difficulties".

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
It is much easier to say "it's a confidence thing" than it is to say "I don't have the answers to our difficulties".

Well he went on here for answers and it didn't work. Heaven forbid if he goes to that dog awful fb group..

In saying that I don't think he has complete control over team selections this year anyway does he? Could explain the quite un Green-like proverbial broom put through the squad after round 2. Parr seems like a good bloke but doesn't strike me as some tactical mastermind.

Billythefish

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Green talked early in the pre season about getting combinations going and getting players used to each other. For good or bad, you need to stick with the same team, especially when you introduce new players for more than 2 games. You wont ever get any continuity doing things that way.

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The one positive was the 'prowler' by Cooper that ended Gallen's night early. Bravo. For that, he gets my 3 votes.

Shorty

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Green talked early in the pre season about getting combinations going and getting players used to each other. For good or bad, you need to stick with the same team, especially when you introduce new players for more than 2 games. You wont ever get any continuity doing things that way.
I have no real issues with the team bar Hampton being too small to defend well.

Kahu is solid, safe and kicks goals, I can see why he's there.
TMM showed some good signs at the back, that error with Nikora is something almost all the fullbacks in the game have done before.

It's the forwards and their attitudes under adversity that is the worry.
I saw some glimpses of improvement in Hess only for him to undo it in shoddy defence.
And McLean...how much are we paying him....he needs to buckle up big time.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
In saying that I don't think he has complete control over team selections this year anyway does he? Could explain the quite un Green-like proverbial broom put through the squad after round 2. Parr seems like a good bloke but doesn't strike me as some tactical mastermind.
Has that been reported somewhere and I missed it? Last I read he was director of football or whatever, taking care of off field stuff. I doubt Parr has control over team selection. There's no way the head coach wouldn't be in complete control of that.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Watched part of a replay this morning, McLean is really a "win more" type of player. By that I mean when we are going well he helps press our advantage, but when we are on the back foot you cannot count on him to take a tough carry or help turn the ship around.

Compare to someone like Tamou who, for all his faults, would noticeably try to lift the side when we were struggling