Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 3 Cowboys (H) v Sharks - Teams & Discussion

Pharoah

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'm not sure who we replace him with from the squad, coz we need to give other guys a go. I'd honestly look at starting dunny and have him on the bench for a start at least.

I also think signing Kahu after BarbaGate was a huge team management misstep, this was the same time that Cam Smith re-signed and we should have went after Brandon super hard
I agree, I think we panicked and just bought he first fullback available.

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'd suggest the Chud Missle, but the poor guy would probably do his ACL walking to pick up the phone when Cows recruiters put the call in

Rumbo

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Kahu is only on a 1 Year contact so doesn't mean much.

Spiral

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Crowd was just over 11k tonight. Same timeslot next week against the Raiders and I’d imagine it might dip to 4 figures based on tonight’s effort.

As shit as we have been the last year or so, would hate to think our fans just give up so easily - we’re better than that. Am putting it down to a weather/still dealing with the aftermath of the floods combination, but maybe those living in Townsville would have a better idea?

Digby

Junior
Reaction score
Imp
He's never been a great passer of the ball throughout his whole career but his quick darts from dummy half in his first years with us were sometimes sensational and really got us on the front foot. That was always his main strength and something we seem to miss these days.

Who do you replace him with in our current squad ? I think he could place less minutes (but more effective minutes)

I also don't think Hess needs to be dropped just yet, just needs to go to the bench as an impact player.
Hess...impact player? He has never had an impact. I was excited to see we had such a big young forward coming through, but he just doesn't have the toughness or mongrel in him. ( he isn't the only one either)

Reactions: CC

Digby

Junior
Reaction score
We'll be right. Just gotta stick with them as always...piss ya off though!
(Positive thinking?)

Pharoah

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Imp
Hess...impact player? He has never had an impact. I was excited to see we had such a big young forward coming through, but he just doesn't have the toughness or mongrel in him. ( he isn't the only one either)
He had a couple of good runs tonight, certainly doesn't deserve to be a starting player or big minutes player but he's probably been overhyped in his younger years which has led to big expectations that he unfortunately hasn't been able to live up to at this stage of his career.

Once again.... Who takes his spot in our current squad ?

I can't think of someone really standing out.

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Once again.... Who takes his spot in our current squad ?

I can't think of someone really standing out.
Mitch Dunn would be the obvious one, or even Asiata as a ball playing edge-forward to get him into the starting side. Or moose to the edge, Asiata to lock. Putting Dunny there gives us an option to try out another hooker on the bench at least.

Gregcowboys

Junior
Reaction score
Hampton Kahu centres
Oniel opiac out
Would have preferred Tuala in centres over Hampton and maybe having blooded Hola over Molo and it'd be a near perfect side with Feldt, Lolo out and no genuine fullback in the squad. As long as Martin is far, far away from playmaking duties.
We need to get rid of green as nothing is changing we need better defensive trading you can not let teams make easy meters and not see grandville is the only player going in low(3 plays tackling and not one in low) and better set plays running one of with no back up for 3 ,spreading the for 1 is what under 10s do. As a long time member i think green has done him time.

Gregcowboys

Junior
Reaction score
Would have preferred Tuala in centres over Hampton and maybe having blooded Hola over Molo and it'd be a near perfect side with Feldt, Lolo out and no genuine fullback in the squad. As long as Martin is far, far away from playmaking duties.
It’s hard to play well when you give 80m up because of shit tacking three in not 1 low and the sharks still get a off load come on

Billythefish

Junior
Reaction score
Kahu was never a great centre at the broncos. I'd be picking Tuala and Opacic as center and giving them 5 or 6 games even if they make some errors. Once we get Feldt back we have strike out wide along with Nene. Opacic while not brilliant is still solid, and i think Tuala has a bit of x-factor about him. Granville can still be good at hooker, but only as an impact hooker for short spells. Clifford and Morgo in the halves are fine.

I'm more worried about how badly our forwards seem to be getting dominated. If they cant lay a platform, it wont matter who our halves and backline are.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Kahu was never a great centre at the broncos. I'd be picking Tuala and Opacic as center and giving them 5 or 6 games even if they make some errors. Once we get Feldt back we have strike out wide along with Nene. Opacic while not brilliant is still solid, and i think Tuala has a bit of x-factor about him. Granville can still be good at hooker, but only as an impact hooker for short spells. Clifford and Morgo in the halves are fine.

I'm more worried about how badly our forwards seem to be getting dominated. If they cant lay a platform, it wont matter who our halves and backline are.
With the forwards, I do think it's more of an attitude thing than the ability of the players. Seems to be a pervasive attitude of wanting the bloke next to you to do it for you instead of aiming up yourself.

Disappointed especially in McLean and Hess tonight, they were MIA in both attack and defense in a week where we really needed them to step up and earn their pay cheques

Billythefish

Junior
Reaction score
With the forwards, I do think it's more of an attitude thing than the ability of the players. Seems to be a pervasive attitude of wanting the bloke next to you to do it for you instead of aiming up yourself.

Disappointed especially in McLean and Hess tonight, they were MIA in both attack and defense in a week where we really needed them to step up and earn their pay cheques
That itself is a worry when you look at the experience and calibre of our forwards.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Um are you aware of how we played before 04?
Yep but we didn't have the cattle we do now did we? Hess, McGuire, Scott, Morgan, Taumalolo, O'Neill, Cooper, Martin, Macdonald, Asiata, McLean and Kahu are all Internationals or Origin representatives and we've been on the wrong end of the ladder for over a year. Green's not getting the best out of these players for one reason or another.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I thought Kahu was fine tonight at centre with limited chances, one of the only ones who had a dig for the whole game and wasnt embarrassed.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Yep but we didn't have the cattle we do now did we? Hess, McGuire, Scott, Morgan, Taumalolo, O'Neill, Cooper, Martin, Macdonald, Asiata, McLean and Kahu are all Internationals or Origin representatives and we've been on the wrong end of the ladder for over a year. Green's not getting the best out of these players for one reason or another.
Have truer words ever been spokin'?