Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 22 Cowboys (A) v Knights - Teams & Discussion

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I’m in the ‘feel sorry for Hess’ camp as well. It’s pretty f***ing obvious he’s down in confidence, throwing him to the wolves out in the centres is just f***ing moronic. He was much better in his stints when coming off the bench this year, why this wasn’t persisted with I’ll never know.

Billythefish

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I’m in the ‘feel sorry for Hess’ camp as well. It’s pretty f***ing obvious he’s down in confidence, throwing him to the wolves out in the centres is just f***ing moronic. He was much better in his stints when coming off the bench this year, why this wasn’t persisted with I’ll never know.
Exactly this.

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Exactly this.
I'm trying to look at it objectively. Here's a bloke they've arguably f****d up with. They made him stack on the kegs to turn him into a prop for the future and now he's too big for defend in the 2nd row so he goes to the bench.

Shane Wright comes along and turns into a defensive weapon. He, Oppa and Feldt don't let a try in for four or so games in a row and can't be dropped. Hess has now lost his right edge position.

Then comes along Molo who hasn't put a foot wrong and can't be dropped because his impact has been immense compared to the rest of the team and his attitude needs to be rewarded.

All the while backs are dropping like flies and we don't have any cover.

f***. What do we do with Hess? We need him to shed kegs and be good again but if we drop him to QCup he'll get the shits and possibly want to leave and all he has done is exactly what we've told him to do. Ah, all good we'll just throw him in the centres as cover for this one game and see how we go.

Cut forward a few games:

TO THE CENTRES FOREVER WITH YOU!

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He was serviceable in the Sharks game (had me fooled)right up until he gave away that boneheaded penalty for taking out Townsend (which was a legit penalty). That was the moment for mine I snapped out of it and thought ‘this is not working out’.

Then you go to the brisbane game, a combo of him and GGM was just asking to be torn to shreds which it was in the first 10mins and then Ditto Saturday.

Tuala has been an amicable selection in the centres in the past (albeit on our right edge). He is another one that was was selected completely out of position (on the wing) played like shit (what do you honestly expect) and then dropped. Give the kid a chance in that left centre position and see how he goes, at least there’s a chance that he’ll be a permanent solution to our woes, Hess is just a stop gap and it’s not f***ing fair on him by putting him in that postion.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I would feel a lot more sympathy for Hess if he didn't spend most of the year being a complete waste of space in the 2nd row

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I would feel a lot more sympathy for Hess if he didn't spend most of the year being a complete waste of space in the 2nd row
Can’t argue with this. He never took the next step of being a permanent starter, as soon as he started showing weaknesses you either put him on the bench to build the confidence/fitness or you drop him to Qcup. You don’t put him in the f***ing centres and destroy any bit of confidence he may have had. You may as well put him into f***ing dummy half.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Wasn't just this year, he was pretty fkn ordinary last year as well.
He like the rest of the team are guilty of believing their own press

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'm trying to look at it objectively. Here's a bloke they've arguably f****d up with. They made him stack on the kegs to turn him into a prop for the future and now he's too big for defend in the 2nd row so he goes to the bench.
That's what's a little puzzling. Looks like he's packed it on. Lost some mobility, and Green wanted him originally playing 80 mins, week in, week out. It's not all the coaches fault tho, there were games there where he showed little heart at times. Should just leave him at that size / weight and play him at prop next season, full off season under his belt. He can still be an effective player if management well.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
That's what's a little puzzling. Looks like he's packed it on. Lost some mobility, and Green wanted him originally playing 80 mins, week in, week out. It's not all the coaches fault tho, there were games there where he showed little heart at times. Should just leave him at that size/weight and play him at prop next season, full offseason under his belt. He can still be an effective player if management well.
My theory (if it's worth anything) is that Hess was going to be a middle forward off the bench at the start of last season until the Lowe vs Green battle meant there was an opening on the right edge. Hess wasn't prepared for the move and struggled under the workload of 35+ tackles a game. He was constantly victimised by opponents who would go left to draw him to marker, get a quick play the ball while he was on the ground after the tackle and exploit an overlap against kids like Clifford and Tuala.

Green then had Hess bulk up again over the offseason before doubling down on Hess by leaving him on the right edge. He then changed his mind to allow McGuire to start there (with disastrous defensive results) pushing Hess back to the bench. Hess looked average in his bench role, which was an improvement. When Wright came up to the NRL he showed that playing an edge backrower as an edge backrower is tactically a wise move. Hess was then primed to stay on the bench as a middle forward where he's been best suited. Then Green decided to put him in the centres, potentially making the dumbest coaching move in the NRL era which wasn't really exploited by opponents in the first couple of weeks but has since been shown to be borderline insane.

The logical move would be to get Hess to focus his offseason on playing in the middle in 2020 where he's performed his best. The Green move would be...

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Hess had his best game in the forwards all season tonight (despite spending a little time in the centres) maybe the experiment worked for his confidence?