Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 22 Cowboys (A) v Knights - Teams & Discussion

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Round 22
Saturday, August 17
3:00pm (local time)
McDonald Jones Stadium

North Queensland Cowboys

1. Scott Drinkwater
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Coen Hess
4. Tom Opacic
5. Jordan Kahu
6. Michael Morgan (c)
7. Jake Clifford
8. Matt Scott
9. Jake Granville
10. Jordan McLean
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Shane Wright
13. Jason Taumalolo

Interchange:
14. Reuben Cotter
15. John Asiata
16. Scott Bolton
17. Francis Molo

Reserves:
18. Peter Hola
19. Tom Gilbert
20. Corey Jensen
21. Murray Taulagi

Coach: Paul Green

Newcastle Knights

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Kurt Mann
3. Hymel Hunt
4. Tautau Moga
5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
6. Mason Lino
7. Mitchell Pearce (c)
8. David Klemmer
9. Connor Watson
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Mitchell Barnett
13. Josh King

Interchange:
14. Jacob Saifiti
15. Herman Ese'ese
16. Sione Mata'utia
17. Aidan Guerra

Reserves:
18. Jamie Buhrer
19. Chris Randall
20. Jirah Momoisea
21. Danny Levi

Coach: Nathan Brown

Last edited:

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Fans: Kahu back this week so no need to keep a middle forward in the centres.

Greeny: False. Kahu to the wing so we can keep Hess at centre.
I reckon Hess has been a lot better than Kahu's second stint at centre this year. Kahu still seemed injured though.

In saying that, I want Hess back as an edge forward and bench Coops, who only stays in the team because they won't drop him.

That rocket from Green a few weeks ago seems to have kicked Hess into gear, I want to see how he goes again in his proper position. We need someone with punch in the 2nd row and in our squad at the moment trying to get Hess to recapture his old form seems like the best option. I wouldn't mind seeing how Hola and Gilbert go on an edge though, both look like they could break the line.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I reckon Hess has been a lot better than Kahu's second stint at centre this year. Kahu still seemed injured though.

In saying that, I want Hess back as an edge forward and bench Coops, who only stays in the team because they won't drop him.

That rocket from Green a few weeks ago seems to have kicked Hess into gear, I want to see how he goes again in his proper position. We need someone with punch in the 2nd row and in our squad at the moment trying to get Hess to recapture his old form seems like the best option. I wouldn't mind seeing how Hola and Gilbert go on an edge though, both look like they could break the line.
The problem with playing middle forwards like Hess, Hola and Gilbert on an edge is their defence. Hess was very good in contact on the right edge last year but was consistently drawn out of position or caught out at the ruck leading to that edge getting destroyed week in and week out. Wright's mobility is much better defensively turning the right edge into one of the best defensive combinations in the comp (subject to HIA replacements forcing players out of position).

We all want to throw the kids in the deep end and force players into unfamiliar positions, but it rarely works out for any team, let alone a shambles like ours. Hola showed that he's worthy of a bench spot in limited time against the Donkeys. Gilbert is possibly next in line for a bench trial.

The Cooper hate across this sub is a bit confusing to me. He's still defending pretty well (not brilliantly, but serviceable) and he's the only left edge forward on our 36 man roster. He doesn't have the pace he used to, but he still does an average amount of work in attack. If Dunny wasn't ded then maybe he'd be a solid option given time to learn to play left side.

One of the things we haven't had all season is stability in building combinations and settling into positions. Both of our edges have had numerous injury forced changes and a number of baffling player switches. Part is bad luck and part is poor management / planning.

With four games to go, maybe it's time to take a few shots, try a few things. Give Molo a starting gig in McGuire's absence. Throw Hola and Gilbert into some meaningful minutes for a couple of games. Let the backline have more than 30cm of depth in attack. Take the leash off the halves and encourage them to throw the ball around and try something unpredictable. Greeny-ball hasn't worked for two seasons. Time to try something else now that the season is officially ded.

Also, had we won the three games with terrible refereeing decisions going against us (Manly, Tigers, Donkeys), we'd be in the top eight right now and pretending that we're a decent team. Yikes.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
The problem with playing middle forwards like Hess, Hola and Gilbert on an edge is their defence. Hess was very good in contact on the right edge last year but was consistently drawn out of position or caught out at the ruck leading to that edge getting destroyed week in and week out. Wright's mobility is much better defensively turning the right edge into one of the best defensive combinations in the comp (subject to HIA replacements forcing players out of position).

We all want to throw the kids in the deep end and force players into unfamiliar positions, but it rarely works out for any team, let alone a shambles like ours. Hola showed that he's worthy of a bench spot in limited time against the Donkeys. Gilbert is possibly next in line for a bench trial.

The Cooper hate across this sub is a bit confusing to me. He's still defending pretty well (not brilliantly, but serviceable) and he's the only left edge forward on our 36 man roster. He doesn't have the pace he used to, but he still does an average amount of work in attack. If Dunny wasn't ded then maybe he'd be a solid option given time to learn to play left side.

One of the things we haven't had all season is stability in building combinations and settling into positions. Both of our edges have had numerous injury forced changes and a number of baffling player switches. Part is bad luck and part is poor management / planning.

With four games to go, maybe it's time to take a few shots, try a few things. Give Molo a starting gig in McGuire's absence. Throw Hola and Gilbert into some meaningful minutes for a couple of games. Let the backline have more than 30cm of depth in attack. Take the leash off the halves and encourage them to throw the ball around and try something unpredictable. Greeny-ball hasn't worked for two seasons. Time to try something else now that the season is officially ded.

Also, had we won the three games with terrible refereeing decisions going against us (Manly, Tigers, Donkeys), we'd be in the top eight right now and pretending that we're a decent team. Yikes.
Hess came through as an edge forward, he only started playing in the middle in first grade off the bench.

He hasn't got the defense right there yet, but young players often take time to get their head around the edge defence. Playing in the middle has set him back and I think he needs to lose weight to be more effective. He was dominant on the edge in the u20s when he was a bit more lean.

I think Cooper is getting gassed easily now and then his defence falls apart, there have been a lot of tries and line breaks through him this year. His attack has fallen off a cliff too, he averaged 5m per hitup last week.

It's hard for our spine to create anything when forwards are just getting driven back and arent poking their heads through the line and getting quick play the balls. We need to create momentum through our forward pack so our spine have time and space to create.

Last edited:

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
He hasn't got the defense right there yet, but young players often take time to get their head around the edge defence. Playing in the middle has set him back and I think he needs to lose weight to be more effective. He was dominant on the edge in the u20s when he was a bit more lean.
Completely agree. I've always wondered why Greeny had him bulk up to play on an edge. When he was lighter and quicker he seemed to have more punch in attack and be more mobile in defence. I'd like to see him go back to his 105kg to 110kg weight and add some more mobility.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
we need some more old forwards on the field. Glen Hall still lives up there yeah?

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
we need some more old forwards on the field. Glen Hall still lives up there yeah?

Time for Andrew Symonds to make his much anticipated switch to rugby league

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Scott Tronc. Wonder what he’s up to these days??....

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Gilbert is part of Blackhawks team that has won 8 straight and are a threat to take the ISC title. He may be better served to stay where he is.

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
We need more crash balls to Cooper 5m out from the line, and first tackle grubbers after an opposition mistake.

The team should definitely stop trying to work towards a 5th tackle cross field kick to one of the best wingers in the comp under a high ball. That never looks like coming off.

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Surely with our 1st string hooker in Moose out, Cotter surely get another look this week.
Surely

Shortly

Shirley

Shore-leave, shirt-sleeve

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Knights have lost 6 in a row. We've lost 4 straight and 7 of our last 8. Not far off though.

Should be a high quality game of football.