Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 21 Cowboys (H) v Broncos - Teams & Discussion

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Agree. Thurston running behind with a towel and water bottle would be more value than the leaders we have now.

He should be doing this rather than commentating for channel 9. They could just record the 3 or 4 cliche phrases he says as well as his laugh and play those during the broadcast in his place.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Probably shit talk but wouldn't surprise me. I hope he digs in and tries to improve rather than go the Ash Taylor route. They don't make them like they used to I guess.
I think Greeny said something along the lines of him being concerned about others rather than focused on himself and if he just concentrated on his game he would be very good. Can't do that as a captain.

It is all hypothetical though, our team hasn't evolved in the last few years. I still can't blame the players for that. Melbourne storm plays very different now that Cronk has left. Whats that? Evolution over two years?

Bongohead667

First Grader
Reaction score
Green has only ever had one gameplan. Conservative one out runs in our half then pin them inside their 20. Rinse and repeat. If you don't have a Thurston style of player to create for you then it just doesn't work reliably. It seems to keep us from getting blown off the park but it's boring as hell to watch. I reckon the choice assistant coaches he had in 2015 + Thurston magic gifted him the premiership and it's the only reason he has a job at all.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
I think last night was a clear example of how much they lent on Thurston
I respectfully disagree crayne07.

Re: Thurston, we only won one premiership with this immortal in waiting and his final year was pretty busted. I think Thurston played his own game in spite of Greens structure. We won the premiership with a team who were pretty much all in their top form and it wasn't a typical premiership. We weren't leading all year like Storm do or Roosters etc.

I also think you can coach desperation. Bellamy does it all the time. That stuff does come from coaching or teaching. Whether it's from your coach, your coach in lower grades or your dad/mum.

As Green said, we aren't learning our lessons. But I don't think he is teaching them either.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Coopers chase on the first brisbane try was laughable. How the f*** he and/or the club think he could go around another year, I do not f***ing know. They’ve trotted out the ‘we need some experience to lead the way next year’ to justify his possible extension which IMO is an insult to Lolo, Mcguire, Mclean and Asiata. These guys are not rookies FFS.

Coops, Thump and Bolts have all been stalwarts for us, but by f*** if Coops goes around again he has shat on his legacy IMO, enough is enough.

Shame Hola didn’t get longer minutes, the short time he did get on the field I thought he did not look out of place one bit.

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree crayne07.

Re: Thurston, we only won one premiership with this immortal in waiting and his final year was pretty busted. I think Thurston played his own game in spite of Greens structure. We won the premiership with a team who were pretty much all in their top form and it wasn't a typical premiership. We weren't leading all year like Storm do or Roosters etc.

I also think you can coach desperation. Bellamy does it all the time. That stuff does come from coaching or teaching. Whether it's from your coach, your coach in lower grades or your dad/mum.

As Green said, we aren't learning our lessons. But I don't think he is teaching them either.
Being competitive and making the finals is what a team should use as their base line...........

Winning premierships takes that base plus a fair slice of luck........ Judging JT by the number of premierships is an insult to the man.

I can't cop all the Bellyache / Melbourne comparison because we are yet to see them post Smith. He drives the culture and on field performance at that club. Bellamy/Storm won't let him leave just like they didn't let Slater.

Plus I swear Bellamy kidnaps their first born child or grandmother and keeps them in a dungeon until they retire or he dumps them on the outskirts of town if they want to leave......... and Smith is his driver....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Coopers chase on the first brisbane try was laughable. How the f*** he and/or the club think he could go around another year, I do not f***ing know. They’ve trotted out the ‘we need some experience to lead the way next year’ to justify his possible extension which IMO is an insult to Lolo, Mcguire, Mclean and Asiata. These guys are not rookies FFS.

Coops, Thump and Bolts have all been stalwarts for us, but by f*** if Coops goes around again he has shat on his legacy IMO, enough is enough.

Shame Hola didn’t get longer minutes, the short time he did get on the field I thought he did not look out of place one bit.
His decline has been really noticable on that short pass play which he & JT perfected, but he doesnt have either the strength to bust the line or the speed to get to the try line......
Like you say he is really tarnishing his legacy...
One of my greatest memories (those that i can still recall at least) is listening to the 2015 game against Parra on the ABC (you all know the one im talking about) & then getting the 2015 season videos & watching that game, god fmd that was a great combo.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Being competitive and making the finals is what a team should use as their base line...........

Winning premierships takes that base plus a fair slice of luck........ Judging JT by the number of premierships is an insult to the man.

I can't cop all the Bellyache / Melbourne comparison because we are yet to see them post Smith. He drives the culture and on field performance at that club. Bellamy/Storm won't let him leave just like they didn't let Slater.

Plus I swear Bellamy kidnaps their first born child or grandmother and keeps them in a dungeon until they retire or he dumps them on the outskirts of town if they want to leave......... and Smith is his driver....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Re: Cameron, when Inglis left they thought uh-oh how is Melbourne going to go? Then they realised, little difference. Then Cooper went same-same and this year they (commentary team) have been sarcastically piling sh#t on Billy about the team really missing him. It will be interesting to see what happens when Cameron finally goes.

I don't think culture comes from one player, like Thurston or Smith. People tend to idolise them and say well, they are a superstar, of course they can do anything. It comes from the bottom up. Every player who makes the Storm team seem to treat it like its a one in a life time opportunity. That's a bit bigger than Cameron imo. Anyway it remains to be seen whether it's him or it runs deeper. I suppose we'll find out in another 5 years. :D

Re: kidnapping. I probably agree. :)

CC

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Let’s hope the selectors were watching the Penrith game last night. Why can’t they select, youth and enthusiasm instead of playing player out of position and keep selecting plodders in our forward pack. NB, now that we can’t make the top eight, how about giving the old blokes a spell and blooding the young guns. The old blokes can be water boys like Langer and coach on the field.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Re Melbourne, it's what they do off the field that keeps them competitive regardless of who comes in.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Cowboys enforcer Josh McGuire will take the early guilty plea and be suspended for the next three NRL matches after being hit with a grade two contrary conduct charge.

North Queensland coach Paul Green has leapt to McGuire’s defence, suggesting his reputation led to the severity of the charge and calls for him to lose his Australian Test jumper are “ridiculous”.

Green stipulated the Cowboys do not condone eye gouging and could not afford to risk challenging the charge laid by the NRL match review committee.

But the Cowboys coach was adamant McGuire did not eye gouge Broncos forward David Fifita but was instead being punished for his lengthy rap sheet of on-field incidents.

“As a club we know Josh needs to keep his nose clean because of his history,” Green said.

“But if you look at this incident in isolation we don’t believe there’s really that much in it. The incident went for a half a second.

“As a club we also understand it’s a bad look if we opt to go and fight the charge.

“No one wants to be seen condoning eye gouging. I don’t believe this was an eye gouge.

“Josh is shattered. He knows he needs to be better because of his previous history.”

Pressed about the prospect of McGuire being left out of the Kangaroos side as a result of this latest suspension, Green said: “That’s absolute rubbish people suggesting he shouldn’t be picked because of this incident.”

McGuire has already been fined twice this season for contrary conduct incidents where he was charged with raking his hand across the face of opponents.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Cowboys enforcer Josh McGuire will take the early guilty plea and be suspended for the next three NRL matches after being hit with a grade two contrary conduct charge.

North Queensland coach Paul Green has leapt to McGuire’s defence, suggesting his reputation led to the severity of the charge and calls for him to lose his Australian Test jumper are “ridiculous”.

Green stipulated the Cowboys do not condone eye gouging and could not afford to risk challenging the charge laid by the NRL match review committee.

But the Cowboys coach was adamant McGuire did not eye gouge Broncos forward David Fifita but was instead being punished for his lengthy rap sheet of on-field incidents.

“As a club we know Josh needs to keep his nose clean because of his history,” Green said.

“But if you look at this incident in isolation we don’t believe there’s really that much in it. The incident went for a half a second.

“As a club we also understand it’s a bad look if we opt to go and fight the charge.

“No one wants to be seen condoning eye gouging. I don’t believe this was an eye gouge.

“Josh is shattered. He knows he needs to be better because of his previous history.”

Pressed about the prospect of McGuire being left out of the Kangaroos side as a result of this latest suspension, Green said: “That’s absolute rubbish people suggesting he shouldn’t be picked because of this incident.”

McGuire has already been fined twice this season for contrary conduct incidents where he was charged with raking his hand across the face of opponents.

soft approach. If you think he’s innocent, let him defend himself at the judiciary.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Bulldogs and Dragons are now level on points with us. What a season.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
The article below reckons McGuire said 'he will try to finally stop rubbing the faces of his opponents'. If that is what he said, he basically, intentionally and regularly, puts his hands all over peoples faces when they cannot defend themselves. Top bloke. It's a wonder he hasn't complained of being bitten.
I was with you right til the end, he's a rubbing-faces dick. But, there's nothing to suggest he'd complain of anything. A disher and a taker; no whining; and definitely no appeals to "Sir".

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Christ, you look at this Storm game. They’re more structured and accurate when they’re playing ad lib footy than when we are trying to do our shitful set plays. sigh.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I thought Nicho Hynes was great at fb on debut. Just slotted into their structures like it was nothing. Not bad for a 3rd choice fb (I guess he'd have been 4th if Drinky was still there).

The Storm are such a well drilled side. They just make it look so easy.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I thought Nicho Hynes was great at fb on debut. Just slotted into their structures like it was nothing. Not bad for a 3rd choice fb (I guess he'd have been 4th if Drinky was still there).

The Storm are such a well drilled side. They just make it look so easy.
He's really come a long way this season. I remember he wasn't anything too flash in the Cows system last year but then again, it was the Cows system...

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
It's much easier for a new player to come into a settled and successful team than it is for any player to come into the current Cows team.

Hynes is a decent backup for an NRL team, but he's not even close to Drinky's or Papenhuyzen's talent level. Harry Grant is one to watch though.