Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 19 Cowboys (A) v Sharks - Teams & Discussion

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Wasn't really happy with Greens latest post match conference, tbh I am often not. He was basically saying they just aren't learning their lessons. Isn't he the coach, isn't he there to teach them their lessons? He was indicating that intensity dropped off in the last 20 min etc etc which is why they lost. That was always going to happen as we had to defend so much throughout the game. The game was pretty f#cked alot early on imo. Apart from the opening 10 min or so Cronulla out-enthused us throughout the whole game.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
And yet, we only lost by two points. It appears over the last few games that only two or so points is the difference and yet we are playing crap especially in that last fifteen minutes.

I am looking for positives and that is the one thing that sticks in my mind. The team on paper should be getting blown off the park, but they are not. Maybe, we are really # NOTFAROFF #. But I doubt, without a few changes, which will not happen this year, that we will have a competitive side. Our future is going to be with what is happening off the field.

A manly supporter told me yesterday afternoon that the Cowboys main problem is that the players have become so used to Green that they are not motivated by him any more. They have heard the same, same , same.

They gave Des the flick when the same was happening to him. A few years later, bring him back with a almost new squad and he is giving them self belief and direction. And last night they beat the Storm.

Oddly, when we played them we were equal on points and we only just got beaten. Sometimes we can lose sight of the fact, just how close we are to winning. If we cannot change the Coach then we need to clean out some of the players who have become insulated and tone deaf to what he is saying.

Thursday should be interesting.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
I largely agree with what you are saying. However losing only by a couple of points and winning are two very different things. It is said this is one of the closest competitions this year. So the fact that we still lose regularly says we are one of the worst teams getting around. I guess we are missing that edge. How we are going to find it I don't know. How am I going to start being positive again re: Cowboys again this year, I also don't know. Probably need a break from the forum for a week or two. I have looked back at a few of my recent posts and I sound like a sad-o :sour:

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
how the f*** can anyone comment on Green’s motivational ability in the locker room? No one outside the organisation would have the faintest idea what he’s like. By all means, rag on his interchange use, player selection, attack and defence formations and play style. perhaps some retention and signing as well but really, people commenting on that shit are talking out their ass.

rant over.

Last edited:

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
how the f*** can anyone comment on Green motivational ability in the locker room? No one outside the organisation would have the faintest idea what he’s like. By all means, rag on his interchange use, player selection, attack and defence formations and play style. perhaps some retention and signing as well but really, people commenting on that shit are talking out their ass.

rant over.
And a good Rant it was Beaves.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Apart from the start of the season when we always seem to come back underdone compared to other teams, I think the players generally try their guts out. The past few weeks you can't fault their effort. It's just we play a very grinding style of game (particularly with Morgo out). We get to the front and become very conservative. We're always only ever going to scrape through with a win, or get run down when the other team starts getting desperate and plays some footy (which has happened the last couple of weeks).

I don't feel like we've done enough in attack with Drinkwater since he's been here. He has scored a few tries but they've been largely due to him beating his man for speed. I feel like there are opportunities around the middle of the ruck if he were to combine with Granville and Clifford.

We've definitely missed Morgan a lot.. a couple of these last few games might have been a different story if he'd have been there. We're just not getting enough out of Clifford at the moment. He's only managed 2 try assists and 1 line break assists in 12 games this year. Morgo has 15 try assists and 9 line break assists in 14 in comparison. I know Clifford isn't Morgo at this stage of his career, but that's the kind of output we are missing at the moment.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
we’re missing some key backs. Our forwards can mostly contain oppositions forwards to a certain point. Hard to do that though when backs are constantly f***ing it up in the play the ball and in general. Hess’s penalty for taking out Townsend was criminal and frankly typical of him this year (and last). All the good work he did early in that game was destroyed with that one play.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know about some of the comments re Mclean. thought he had a pretty solid game, especially his first stint.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I wonder how much we paid for McLean. You'd think he'd be on pretty decent money.. I don't think we are getting our value for money in any case. We've always been prepared to pay big money for forwards but go to the bargain bin in terms of backs. I see people calling for us to try and sign Arrow who is chasing near 1 mill a season. Would be crazy when we already have several guys in the same position who are probably on 600k+. Would rather give Molo more game time, not to mention give young guys like Gilbert and Hola an opportunity.

It won't happen with the results on the weekend but I would've liked us to start building towards next year. Bring in the young forwards, give Tuala another go in the centre's, give Clifford a license to try what he wants in attack - in his Cowboys bio he describes himself as a wannabe JT, it's about time we saw some of that. Tell the boys the pressure is off and to start playing some footy.

Reactions: CC

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I’m so bored by ‘Green ball’. We must be the only team in the comp that can’t score a long range try. Even the Storm who play a highly structured game score plenty of long range tries.

Face it. We are such a mediocre and boring footy team at this point.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
how the f*** can anyone comment on Green’s motivational ability in the locker room?
Watch the games!
He may not have "lost" Locker room, but I would defy anyone to suggest he's inspiring.
These guys are professional players, if they can't "get up" for the coach & team, then they shouldn't be there & yet he keeps doing the same shit, week in, week out. The fact he sticks with Bowen, Bolton week after week could permeate a negative culture.
Sure, some players are trying their guts out each week, but it is the coaches job to get all players & team going to the best of their ability & he's not getting results.
The buck stops with Green

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Watch the games!
He may not have "lost" Locker room, but I would defy anyone to suggest he's inspiring.
These guys are professional players, if they can't "get up" for the coach & team, then they shouldn't be there & yet he keeps doing the same shit, week in, week out. The fact he sticks with Bowen, Bolton week after week could permeate a negative culture.
Sure, some players are trying their guts out each week, but it is the coaches job to get all players & team going to the best of their ability & he's not getting results.
The buck stops with Green

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
watch the games?

FMD, serious?

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
watch the games?

FMD, serious?
Do you ever read a post in entirety & objectively or just react to the first line

Your question was "how the f*** can anyone comment on Green’s motivational ability in the locker room?"
My answer was by watching the games........ the team selections, game plan, interchange use etc...... its pretty obvious from the results on & off the field, that players arent performing & the coach seemingly has an inability to lift the team to do better.

True, i have no idea what happens with regard to team selections, strategy, recruitment etc, but NO ONE can deny that this team has been in a steady decline for some time, with no real apparent light at the end of the proverbial tunnel
People can talk up the close losses all they like but we're in the bottom 4, not the top 4. If it werent for the bulldogs & titans we'd likely be in wooden spoon territory
We'll be very lucky to win more than 2 of our remaining games & i wouldnt be surprised to see us looking for a new coach next year.
But hope i'm wrong

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
And yet, we only lost by two points. It appears over the last few games that only two or so points is the difference and yet we are playing crap especially in that last fifteen minutes.

I am looking for positives and that is the one thing that sticks in my mind. The team on paper should be getting blown off the park, but they are not. Maybe, we are really # NOTFAROFF #. But I doubt, without a few changes, which will not happen this year, that we will have a competitive side. Our future is going to be with what is happening off the field.

A manly supporter told me yesterday afternoon that the Cowboys main problem is that the players have become so used to Green that they are not motivated by him any more. They have heard the same, same , same.

They gave Des the flick when the same was happening to him. A few years later, bring him back with a almost new squad and he is giving them self belief and direction. And last night they beat the Storm.

Oddly, when we played them we were equal on points and we only just got beaten. Sometimes we can lose sight of the fact, just how close we are to winning. If we cannot change the Coach then we need to clean out some of the players who have become insulated and tone deaf to what he is saying.

Thursday should be interesting.
That's a cool story from your mate Pete. But that's not how it played out at Manly. Des left because the board was a shambles, too much inhouse fighting. He was even offered more money to stay. Greenberg CEO of the Doggies got his man a year early too I think. Players were filthy at the board, they never wanted him to leave

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Spacey, I will follow up on it with him. I am not sure.

queenslander66

Junior
Reaction score
I wonder how much we paid for McLean. You'd think he'd be on pretty decent money.. I don't think we are getting our value for money in any case. We've always been prepared to pay big money for forwards but go to the bargain bin in terms of backs. I see people calling for us to try and sign Arrow who is chasing near 1 mill a season. Would be crazy when we already have several guys in the same position who are probably on 600k+. Would rather give Molo more game time, not to mention give young guys like Gilbert and Hola an opportunity.

It won't happen with the results on the weekend but I would've liked us to start building towards next year. Bring in the young forwards, give Tuala another go in the centre's, give Clifford a license to try what he wants in attack - in his Cowboys bio he describes himself as a wannabe JT, it's about time we saw some of that. Tell the boys the pressure is off and to start playing some footy.
I remember it being reported that the Cowboys are paying $600,000. He has definitely not earned it. I thought the captaincy role would have helped to get the best out of him, but it clearly hasn't.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I think I have said it before on here, McLean is a 'win-more' sort of player. Goes well when the rest of the pack is rolling but seems to be incapable of lifting and getting us moving if we're on the back foot.

Moose and Lolo are the only 2 forwards who have delivered consistently this year, given that our game plan is very pack focused it's been a pretty disappointing year from the engine room as a whole. Even vs Souths who had a greatly diminished forward pack we were mostly on the back foot. Molo has come on well in the middle third of the season but is still underused.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I don't know about some of the comments re Mclean. thought he had a pretty solid game, especially his first stint.
One of the best defensive middles in the comp. Most fans don't see the grind - just the highlight plays. It's why Alex Twal is almost unknown despite being an elite defender.