Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 19 Cowboys (A) v Sharks - Teams & Discussion

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He's damaging when he comes on as impact. He doesn't have the stamina for two sets. I'd leave him where he is and then up him in 2021

They literally have a half an hour break between stints - I'm sure he'd be fine. Molo has worked hard on his fitness - you can tell by his physique. He knows he only has 15 minutes to work with so he gives it his all. I'd like to see him at least have an opportunity to prove himself rather than having to do a 4 year apprenticeship on the bench. Fmd, Bolton has started games for us this year.

griffman-2

Junior
Reaction score
It's a concern when you see the players we've let go in comparisson to who we kept. Injuries and issues with Barba and McDonald haven't helped this year but the talent the management has let go shows pretty poor future planning to me.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
I think we have the roster moving forward, minus a speedy back and a spare decent half.

However our team isn't coached/led well.

We don't have on-field leadership - I can only assume JT didn't want the captaincy along with Morgo, because he really is the leader out there in Morgans absence through involvement in defence and attack. He plays many more minutes than Jordan and whilst Coops does lots of the talking he cannot really back it up anymore through actions.

We have no offence - Our attack is pretty ordinary in general. Even when we were winning on the scoreboard it was clear to see we were losing pretty bad in all the other stats. Both tries were largely individual efforts, albeit Drinkys was part of a larger play that was well covered. I felt the Sharks knew they would be okay eventually as we don't have points in us. The high ball to Feldt is way over-utilized and everybody has done their homework on it. Granville, whilst throwing less spuds, seems to be passing it randomly. He doesn't seem in control of the situation, maybe fatigue??

Coaching - Despite the positives players say during interviews, I don't think we have the belief that we are winners. Our lack of intensity all season is testament to this. Yes, we've had lots of horrible injuries - but we have other options - Cotter (done nothing wrong), GGM (Best game last game). Injuries aside, I don't think Greens leadership style gets the best out of this group. Of course, he could be full of praise and adoration for his players behind the scenes, but I reckon he is pretty much like he is during interviews - harsh and often shitty.

Going forward, I think (hope) Morgan and our attack will be a lot better for having Drinkwater and vice versa as they both like a running attack. I expect them to play some sweet music together (we saw some of it in the game and a half they played together).

Big rant, sorry. But this form slump has been going on since 2018. :confused:
N.B - I tried to wrap my bitterness in a compliment sandwich - not very well though.

Last edited:

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
They can call McLean captain all they want, he is not a leader. A leader does the hard yards.
McLean takes plenty of tough carries. I thought he tried pretty hard last night.

He probably hasn’t had the impact expected of him though. He hasn’t adequately replaced Tamou’s output.

Last edited:

Rumbo

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
it was basically a repeat of last week play well for 60-65mins get gassed then let in easy. our left hand side look a lot better in defence.

Bongohead667

First Grader
Reaction score
McLean takes plenty of tough carries. I thought he tried pretty hard last night.

He probably hasn’t had the impact expected of him though. He hasn’t adequately replaced Tamou’s output.
He's about the same size as big Jimmy but has nowhere near the agility or speed. He's purely a meter maker sadly. He'll get you 100+m and 30+tackles per game but don't expect him to make the big plays. Which is fine for a prop i just hope we didn't overpay to get him.

I still miss big Jim :(

Billythefish

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Still think we should look at Arrow. Imagine the impact he would have alongside Jase.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
We need some better backs. I'm so envious of teams like the Roosters that have strike everywhere. Isn't there another Trbojevic brother coming through that's a clone of Tom? Surely they can't keep all 3 of them..

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
We need some better backs. I'm so envious of teams like the Roosters that have strike everywhere. Isn't there another Trbojevic brother coming through that's a clone of Tom? Surely they can't keep all 3 of them..
Ben Trbojevic, apparently he is the best of the 3. Unfortunately he plays in the backrow. He was in that U18 NSW v QLD clash with Hamiso.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Ben Trbojevic, apparently he is the best of the 3. Unfortunately he plays in the backrow. He was in that U18 NSW v QLD clash with Hamiso.
He’s been playing centre since moving up to Manly’s 20s. I’ve seen him play a few times, he’s a good player. Not close to Tom at the same age though.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Justin O’Neill: The injury that nearly killed him
JULY 26, 2019

QUEENSLAND rugby league star Justin O’Neill’s wife has revealed for the first time how terrifyingly close he came to death after a horror on-field injury caused him to lose two-thirds of his blood.

Chantelle O’Neill has opened up to The Courier-Mail about the traumatising two months she spent at the Cowboys star’s bedside as he battled to recover from a spleen rupture that could have killed him.

He had three blood transfusions after losing two-thirds of his blood, and doctors later said his fitness and good health had likely saved his life.

“Absolutely it was life-threatening when you lose that much blood,” Chantelle said.

“I was told he only survived because he has a strong heart and he’s so fit basically.

“I’ve nursed him through so many injuries, but it’s terrifying to see him so sick.”

The 28-year-old State of Origin and Australian representative played until full-time against the Canberra Raiders on May 25 – his 100th game for the Cowboys – but two broken ribs had punctured his spleen, causing internal bleeding.

Teammate Kyle Feldt had raised the alarm when he found O’Neill struggling the next morning and the rugby league star was rushed to hospital.

Chantelle was in Melbourne with the couple’s two daughters, Giselle, 2, and Kasia, 1, when at 10am she received a numbing phone call from the team doctor to say O'Neill had been rushed to hospital and that she should “fly straight away”.

“It was horrible (getting that phone call),” Chantelle said.

“He played the entire game. He had a really great game. But he didn’t feel that well after.

“We did know something was horribly wrong, I just wasn’t sure what.

“He was texting me throughout the night, he even sent me a text saying ‘I feel like I am dying’.”

Chantelle landed in Canberra by 2pm that Sunday as O'Neill had immediate surgery to patch the spleen, underwent three blood transfusions, spent four days in intensive care and a further two in the acute care surgery ward.

Complicating matters, Kasia, who was 10 months old at the time, stopped eating because she’d never been separated from her mother, so Chantelle had her mother fly the girls to Canberra, where they would spend two weeks before O'Neill was able to fly.

“When you’re in the deep of it, it was traumatising and very scary,” she said.

“I would stay with him (in hospital) until 1am, until he was comfortable, and then race home.

“I would never fall asleep because I was checking my phone in case the hospital called with bad news and then I’d be up when the sun came up … to catch the doctors on their morning rounds.”

She added: “Giselle is absolutely his best friend in the whole world, so she was devastated.” The family spent some time in Melbourne where Chantelle’s family could help care for both O'Neill and the children before returning to Townsville.

One month later, O'Neill underwent a second operation and spent a further six days in hospital in Townsville.

“I took him to emergency and the doctors found he had a twisted bowel from the solidified old blood that stuck to the stomach wall,” Chantelle said.

Another month later and, despite having lost 10kg, Chantelle said he was finally looking better and recently returned to light exercise.

“He was in so much pain, it was excruciating,” she said.

“I’m just glad he’s on the mend.

“There’s not too much anyone can do.

“It’s just time to let him heal and rest.”

https://outline.com/MGNDBP

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He was in the best ever form he's been for us too when he got injured. Hopefully he can recover and be back to his best in 2020.

Looking at the ladder I'm thinking the Broncos will probably be in the 8 at the end of this round. We'd have been in there had we not choked the last 2 games away.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Justin O’Neill: The injury that nearly killed him
JULY 26, 2019

QUEENSLAND rugby league star Justin O’Neill’s wife has revealed for the first time how terrifyingly close he came to death after a horror on-field injury caused him to lose two-thirds of his blood.

Chantelle O’Neill has opened up to The Courier-Mail about the traumatising two months she spent at the Cowboys star’s bedside as he battled to recover from a spleen rupture that could have killed him.

He had three blood transfusions after losing two-thirds of his blood, and doctors later said his fitness and good health had likely saved his life.

“Absolutely it was life-threatening when you lose that much blood,” Chantelle said.

“I was told he only survived because he has a strong heart and he’s so fit basically.

“I’ve nursed him through so many injuries, but it’s terrifying to see him so sick.”

The 28-year-old State of Origin and Australian representative played until full-time against the Canberra Raiders on May 25 – his 100th game for the Cowboys – but two broken ribs had punctured his spleen, causing internal bleeding.

Teammate Kyle Feldt had raised the alarm when he found O’Neill struggling the next morning and the rugby league star was rushed to hospital.

Chantelle was in Melbourne with the couple’s two daughters, Giselle, 2, and Kasia, 1, when at 10am she received a numbing phone call from the team doctor to say O'Neill had been rushed to hospital and that she should “fly straight away”.

“It was horrible (getting that phone call),” Chantelle said.

“He played the entire game. He had a really great game. But he didn’t feel that well after.

“We did know something was horribly wrong, I just wasn’t sure what.

“He was texting me throughout the night, he even sent me a text saying ‘I feel like I am dying’.”

Chantelle landed in Canberra by 2pm that Sunday as O'Neill had immediate surgery to patch the spleen, underwent three blood transfusions, spent four days in intensive care and a further two in the acute care surgery ward.

Complicating matters, Kasia, who was 10 months old at the time, stopped eating because she’d never been separated from her mother, so Chantelle had her mother fly the girls to Canberra, where they would spend two weeks before O'Neill was able to fly.

“When you’re in the deep of it, it was traumatising and very scary,” she said.

“I would stay with him (in hospital) until 1am, until he was comfortable, and then race home.

“I would never fall asleep because I was checking my phone in case the hospital called with bad news and then I’d be up when the sun came up … to catch the doctors on their morning rounds.”

She added: “Giselle is absolutely his best friend in the whole world, so she was devastated.” The family spent some time in Melbourne where Chantelle’s family could help care for both O'Neill and the children before returning to Townsville.

One month later, O'Neill underwent a second operation and spent a further six days in hospital in Townsville.

“I took him to emergency and the doctors found he had a twisted bowel from the solidified old blood that stuck to the stomach wall,” Chantelle said.

Another month later and, despite having lost 10kg, Chantelle said he was finally looking better and recently returned to light exercise.

“He was in so much pain, it was excruciating,” she said.

“I’m just glad he’s on the mend.

“There’s not too much anyone can do.

“It’s just time to let him heal and rest.”

https://outline.com/MGNDBP
Super scary and very lucky for him.