Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 18 Cowboys (H) v Rabbitohs - Teams & Discussion

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Missus still isn't talking to me. Won't be getting any tonight by the looks. Thanks Tualagi.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Missus still isn't talking to me. Won't be getting any tonight by the looks. Thanks Tualagi.

f*** her! Whatever abuse she copped was warranted after Tualagi’s match defining howler.

Go spend the rest of the evening in the spare room and treat yourself.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Wasn't directed at her so dunno what she's on about. The Cowboys have made me go full Bellamy way too often lately.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Just got home from the game.
Excited about Murray, the kid is a baller.
Strong debut, I know if he scores that try we probably go on and win. He was the one that created the opportunity. Defensively he was strong.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I was watching some clips of Murray's older brother JJ on YouTube. Has some awesome skill, almost looked like SBW at times creating opportunities for his outside men. Hopefully Murray has a bit of that in him as well. Looked promising in that one passage before he dropped it. Hopefully he moves on from that quickly and comes out and makes amends next week.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
goodbye 2019...... well metaphorically speaking. Mathematically they still have a chance to make the 8 but it will be a quick exit so there’s not much point. A heap of them made errors, whatevs, but that bench rotation used by the coach was diabolical. Put Cotter on the bench for f***s sake and give us some spark from DH. Granville was out on his feet in that 2nd half. Bring Cotter on for the last 25mins and let him wreak havoc. Matt Scott giving away that penalty for a high tackle on the 4th after we defended like demons typifies our 2018 and 2019. Just dumb shit constantly costing us. Feldt’s play the ball in the early part led to a try, just pure dumb shit.

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
What was with Mcguire getting the ball over and over and over in the last 20 minutes. Woeful attacking options.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Just watched the game and haven't gone through all the post yet but my thoughts were:

Looks like we just fatigued or ran out of enthusiasm in the last 20 minutes - hard to watch. It's a clique but we played 60, they played 80.​
Really missed Morgans control and command of set plays.​
Drinky and Clifford don't gel yet. Which is weird because they have trained together for longer than Morgan and Drinkwater, yet they did immediately.​
Reynolds is a very good halfback, could teach Clifford a thing or two.​
Murray is going to be good.​

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
For those who didn't watch the presser. Green wasn't worried about the bombed try. He thought Murray had a strong debut overall. He basically said game management, particularly in the last 10 min was shithouse, including 5th tackle options. He noted that we cannot play as expansively with the two halves we have but should have done better as we got the job done last week.

Guess Big dog is back in the dog house - won't be dropped though.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Another tidbit from the presser. Coach Green mentioned not following instructions. He has used that choice of words previously when not happy with Clifford. I don't really know what it means. Trainer instructions? Before game/half time instructions? Or set play instructions?

He does strike me as a massive micro manager and I have noticed Morgan getting annoyed in the past with the trainer, repeating angrily 'I know!, I know!'

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I agree with BDR. Not all gloom and doom. We played the second top team, not the Spooners. We are on the up and it was that last 10 minutes that found us out.

They had a few things go their way legimately and we had a few against us. I saw some improvement and as BDR has said previuously. you cannot expect to go from Shat to great in one game.

I know we are at the business end but we are about 7 weeks away from the Finals. Providing we can drop into the Eight we will cause some havoc. a quick look at the Draw says that we are up against teams that are fighting for seventh and eigth spot. They also have to play teams in that same position.

The Draw is our friend and if we cannot beat the bottom eight teams while building well we do not deserve to be there. Unfortunately, for what ever reason the Cowboys do not start the Season well and gradually build into it. However, with an aging personal Green might have to manage their game time a bit better.

Scott and Bolton did not offer a lot, but McLean is slowly building.

ps
By the way , Prince.
I have reported your unkind remark about my Peaking Theory. I am deeply disturbed.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Wasn't directed at her so dunno what she's on about. The Cowboys have made me go full Bellamy way too often lately.
I half expect the neighbours to call the cops during every game

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Before last night Souths had only won 1 from their last 5 starts. They were missing 3 of their biggest yardage makers. Yes they’re second on the ladder but that is thanks largely to their form pre origin. If their was a ladder for just the last 6 weeks they’d just about be at the bottom with the Titans. Let’s not try and put shine on the loss, they’re a club that is down on key personnel and are struggling.

As for fatigued you can put that squarely on coach Green. His use of the bench was diabolical last night. No surprises Souths tore our middle apart in the last 10 and ran over the top of us. Molo playing 15 minutes is absolutely f***ing criminal given the impact he has. Is Green trying to turn Hess into a middle forward? He made a decent impact with some of his carries when on but ffs he was on the park for just 13 minutes. And for god’s sake, stop playing Granville for 80 minutes.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
For those who didn't watch the presser. Green wasn't worried about the bombed try. He thought Murray had a strong debut overall. He basically said game management, particularly in the last 10 min was shithouse, including 5th tackle options. He noted that we cannot play as expansively with the two halves we have but should have done better as we got the job done last week.

Guess Big dog is back in the dog house - won't be dropped though.
I agree with Green tbh. Our 5th tackle options were garbage all night, barring a few cross field chips from Asiata we didn't have any kind of offensive kicking game. Learning experience for Clifford hopefully.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Before last night Souths had only won 1 from their last 5 starts. They were missing 3 of their biggest yardage makers. Yes they’re second on the ladder but that is thanks largely to their form pre origin. If their was a ladder for just the last 6 weeks they’d just about be at the bottom with the Titans. Let’s not try and put shine on the loss, they’re a club that is down on key personnel and are struggling.

As for fatigued you can put that squarely on coach Green. His use of the bench was diabolical last night. No surprises Souths tore our middle apart in the last 10 and ran over the top of us. Molo playing 15 minutes is absolutely f***ing criminal given the impact he has. Is Green trying to turn Hess into a middle forward? He made a decent impact with some of his carries when on but ffs he was on the park for just 13 minutes. And for god’s sake, stop playing Granville for 80 minutes.

The game was there for the taking and we blew it. We were controlling Souths quite comfortably in the second half until Tualagi dropped that ball. When Souths scored that try to level it the team essentially put the cue in the rack. It was time for us to muscle up in defence like we'd been doing all game but they just ran right through us.

I know I keep harping on about it but Green must change his forward rotation to get Molo back out there in the final 15. If that means he has to start in place of plodder McLean still living off his form in the Melbourne Storm system then so be it. He runs and hits hard and his enthusiasm is infectious. We look our best when he is out there. Sometimes it can be almost a hindrance having rep forwards in your team as has they always get the right of way in terms of minutes regardless of form. We've finally made some inroads in that regard with Hess and Scott dropping to the bench but it must be hard as a young forward coming through to make your impact felt when you only have 10 or so minutes to work with.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
The game was there for the taking and we blew it. We were controlling Souths quite comfortably in the second half until Tualagi dropped that ball. When Souths scored that try to level it the team essentially put the cue in the rack. It was time for us to muscle up in defence like we'd been doing all game but they just ran right through us.

I know I keep harping on about it but Green must change his forward rotation to get Molo back out there in the final 15. If that means he has to start in place of plodder McLean still living off his form in the Melbourne Storm system then so be it. He runs and hits hard and his enthusiasm is infectious. We look our best when he is out there. Sometimes it can be almost a hindrance having rep forwards in your team as has they always get the right of way in terms of minutes regardless of form. We've finally made some inroads in that regard with Hess and Scott dropping to the bench but it must be hard as a young forward coming through to make your impact felt when you only have 10 or so minutes to work with.
Green has shown time and time again that he’d rather completely fail and fall flat on his face trusting his plodders/favourites before selecting a side on merit and giving an opportunity to our younger and quite frankly better performing forwards/players. Back to back seasons where we’ve had to put up with continual selection of players who just aren’t delivering, while younger players that are, are left to ride the bench playing minimal minutes or left languishing in Qcup. He’s far too conservative in his approach to coaching, and it is to the detriment of the club on the field with our performances, and off the field with player development.

Billythefish

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I agree with Green tbh. Our 5th tackle options were garbage all night, barring a few cross field chips from Asiata we didn't have any kind of offensive kicking game. Learning experience for Clifford hopefully.
Halves let us down badly imo last night.

Spiral

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The season may be basically all but over, but we still have our grand final in R21 to look forward to which doubles as a great chance to also completely derail Brisbane’s finals chances.

Just need one of those Donkey c***** to announce their retirement at the end of the year (Darbs?) and we’ll smash them enough to miss the 8 by a point.

It’s the little things, sometimes! :)

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
-Overall I thought Murray had a solid debut. Put some good hits on in defence, carried the ball out willingly and showed a glimpse of his potential in attack. Hopefully he stays in the top grade for the remainder of the year.​
-Jango, Jango, Jango, I just don't know what's going with him. Should be going much better than he is.​
-Coop's was deadset knackered after covering Jango in defence all night.​
-Drinkwater is going to be a star and our long term fullback. IMO his work off the ball in defence is miles ahead of a previous young fullback we had.​
-Last night will be another learning curve for Cliffo. Can't expect kids to perform at the same level week in, week out.​

Initially I wasn't overly concerned with us losing a game we really should have won. I thought that if Morgo was playing we would have closed the game out. But after sleeping on it I think there were enough senior players out there to to take control and help the young blokes get us home. It just didn't happen.